• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

R5 rattle

bigsandals

Jul 15, 2006
I bought a TM R5 on ebay.....got it today and it has a rattle in the head.....what gives? Did I get taken?...will it affect play?

Little chunk of epoxy broke off inside the head. More common than you think.
Not an issue.
If it bothers you, re-shaft it.

If it has MWT movable weight technology a weight might be loose. Just tighten it up with a TLC wrench and it should stop.

Unless its the tp model, it doesnt have MWT...

Sling is right, its just a little loose epoxy

No the R5 TP does have the moveable weights, I have one. The rattle could be epoxy, but it also could be a piece of dirt or pebble that got inside the head. Pull the weights, blow out the inside and try again. If that doesn't work, then you may need a reshaft.

Make sure it's not one of the weights. I'm assuming you have the regular model, not the TP. The weights are still there, just fixed in the head. If it is epoxy, it's an easy fix. I've had it happen a bunch of times. I just heat up the bottom of the head and smack it into an oven mitt. There is glue in the head already from when if was made. This softens up a little and will catch the loose epoxy.

If it is a weight I'd contact Taylormade. You might get lucky and they'll send you a "new" driver. Since they don't make the R5 anymore that might end up being a tour Burner.

Take a lighter and get the bottom (sole) of the club good and hot (move the flame around the sole for about 25 seconds). Then shake the head a bit. This will heat up the rat glue the OEM's put in the heads and the piece of epoxy in the head will stick to it. Rattle will be gone.

(damn, should have read Ezra's post first)

I had an old Callaway Biggest Big Bertha that did that. Did not effect the play of the club. However... I was nice enough to mention it when I sold it on ebay :p

Featured Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54