• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

reshafting Callaway Steelhead fwy

offthegrid

Reaction score
I have been thinking about the purchase of a new 4 wood. BUT I have a cally steelhead 3 wood with steel shaft that has been gathering dust since I switched to graphit fwy woods. The orig steelhead 3 woods were 16 deg. No sky marks or scratches on the top of this old friend, just normal face wear. This at one time was my favorite club. Anyway I am building a new driver with a limey. So the 16 degree fits what I need and I loved the way this head sounds when nutted. Going to order a 680 Limey for it and for $68 I think this will make me a happy camper.

Any tips on reshafting a thru bore I have never done one. Do you tip trim as normal for a 3 wood, cut end to proper angle, then shaft into the head or is there additional or less tipping required for the thru bore head. I have some tip plugs bought a long time ago and never used. Thanks

Thanks r35, I can handle that. How about the tip trim. Graman specs call for1/2 inch for a 3 wood , any thing more or less required because of thru bore.

If you install it as a true bore thru, then you won't tip a 3 wood. You can install shafts "blind" into bore thru, while filling the bottom half of the bore with a tip section to fill space. A 5 wood calls for 0.5" tipping amount.

So, for a 4 wood, 1/4" tip would be sufficient for a full bore thru head.

R35

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423