• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Settle a debate...

P_102

Reaction score
Need to settle a debate: My Thursday foursome plays a skins game using handicaps (we vary in hcp a lot). Should we use everyones hcp as it pertains to the card (12 hcp gets a stroke on 1-12 hardest holes, etc) or should we take the difference between lowest hcp and others? ...(12 hcp would adjust to 0, everyone else takes the difference between their hcp and 12)....It never occured to me but it makes a big difference on where strokes are taken.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, that's tough.

I like the idea of giving a stroke for the difference. To explain better, if you have a hcp of 12 and mine is 16, i get a stroke for 1-4 hardest holes. That sorta splits the difference for everyone.

So you could have:

You with 0
John with 4
Dave with 10
Me with 4

Dave would get a stroke a hole for 1-12 as his handicap would dictate. John and I would be closer to your score, so we'd get holes 1-4, and you'd carry the load for the whole 18.

It's easy to figure, that's usually how we play.

This may not help, just a quick suggestion.

R35

I'm with Rock. The benefit of that is that the weaker players get strokes on the hardest holes, which makes sense.

e.g. 2 players, handicaps 12 and 16. The weaker player gets strokes on holes 1 - 4, which makes more sense than strokes on 13-16.

I agree (though I was wrong before)...FYI: I've put the scorecard on my computer (Exel) so that by entering hcps it will automatically mark the hcp holes by coloring the squares....makes it much easier than drawing circles once you get to the course.

P_102 said:
....makes it much easier than drawing circles once you get to the course.

Ya, true dat.

It's like pulling teeth!!! :D

Just kidding, P.

R35

Either way works but our group does use full h/c like you mentioned in your first post. 12h/c gets 12 strokes etc. It keeps things pretty simple that way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520