• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Settling down

Lemonhead

Reaction score
Went to play a different course yesterday rather than another walk around the Muni. Front 9 was a bloodbath. By the back 9 I finally settled down and started playing much, much better - not my handicap, but close. The experience made me realize how much my score is affected by my attitude.

I've been having problems with my driver and my game in general is not where it had been, so on the front nine, I was tense about playing well. Needless to say, I got exactly what I was worried about. By the back nine, I had resigned that the Driver wasn't going to get work right that day. I started playing it to minimize the risk and then worked on making good approach shots. My score still suffered because I was further away than I would have liked, however, it dramatically improved over the front 9.

Overall, the round blew chunks, but dissected, there were highlights. Usually, when I start bad, it just gets worse. This time, it started bad and I managed to turn it around. It was really windy and I tried a few draws and cuts that worked out well. Only 1 shaped shot went bad (way too much draw for the situation). Cut a 3 iron around the trees on a 45deg blind dogleg and ended up 5 yds from the front of the green. I chipped very well. Putted so-so (Missed almost everything from 10ft+, but had 3 really close from 30ft).

So, I still have work to do to get my Driver back and then I feel that I can start getting my handicap going down like it had been going.

Lemonhead

There's a good reason why Ernie Els & Retief Goosen play well and look so relaxed.

I agree with you. After the first few holes where I have blown any chance for a decent score, I adopt a "I don't care anymore" attitude and my drives suddenly much better.

I'm not sure that anything can help my putting, though. Yesterday I would make a 20 footer for double bogey :D and then miss a birdie putt 8 feet wide. I mean WIDE.

I don't think I took an "I don't care anymore" attitude. Instead, it seemed that I quit stressing about the result of each shot. I really started playing it one shot at a time. I think I relaxed and felt that I knew what the ball was going to do before I hit it. On the front 9, I didn't have that feeling, instead I felt "Please let the ball go...." -- which, of course, it never went where I wanted.

When I play well, I know what the ball will do before I hit it. When I play poorly, I find I'm getting caught up on the mechanics. I think that's what happened yesterday - I got caught up on the mechanics during the front 9.

Lemonhead

Ive been reading a golf psycology book and youve really got alot of it down. It stressed that many golfers (including pros) think too much about the results of the shot, instead of their swing thought. Or thinking about what they need to get on this hole to get this score, which screws you up too. They also believe you shouldnt be thinking about mechanics too much, just use a simple swing thought that produces.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520