• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shane Lowry - The Irish Open

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Reaction score
Amateur Shane Lowry misses a 3-ft. putt for birdie on the 18th to win the Irish Open. Oh man...

On to the playoff.

What a great and historic win by young amateur Shane Lowry. Well done, lad!

He took long enough... His putting was KILLING me.

When he stuck that 3w that close, and had a chance to just END it there and final, especially when Rock put the sand shot past the hole that far..

Kid has the length and the ball striking to go pro, but jesus, the putting suspense was enough for me to not watch again.

He took long enough... His putting was KILLING me.

When he stuck that 3w that close, and had a chance to just END it there and final, especially when Rock put the sand shot past the hole that far..

Kid has the length and the ball striking to go pro, but jesus, the putting suspense was enough for me to not watch again.

Ahh the arm chair critic, it's all so easy watching on tv. The pressure on the putts would be near unbearable, and at the end of the day he got the job done. His putting was very solid for the previous 71 holes of the tournament. I think he will turn pro today, he is a fantastic player.

When you look at the quality of the field, the course and the conditions (which at times were brutal!) then this was a classy win. Shooting a 62 was one thing, but carrying on to finish it off was nothing short of fairy tale stuff.

He has a great swing and fantastic temperament. I loved the newspaper quote;

"At one point in the play-off, Lowry, showing an ability to remain calm under pressure, even quipped to his steady caddie, Dave Reynolds, “Would he ever just miss? He already has the half-million!”" (referring the other guy in the play-off Robert Rock, who was assured of the money for coming 2nd).

This kid had a cast iron Walker Cup slot. This now gives him a bit of a dilemma, turn pro now or wait until September.

Ahh the arm chair critic, it's all so easy watching on tv. The pressure on the putts would be near unbearable, and at the end of the day he got the job done. His putting was very solid for the previous 71 holes of the tournament. I think he will turn pro today, he is a fantastic player.

So I have to play in the tournament now to comment on it??

No doubt the pressure was incredible, and the conditions they had to play in were even harder..

Still doesn't deny the fact I was screaming on the edge of my seat at him the 3-4 chance he had to close it out earlier.

I believe he should go Pro. Kid has a fantastic swing, and from what I hear, needs the money.

I swear I would have shed an actual tear if the guy had ended up losing to Rock. Lowry had chances and didn't take advantage, but in the end he hung in there and prevailed in pretty awful conditions.

I hope he plays in the Walker Cup. That's my favorite tournament.

Well the kids turned Pro and I don't blame him...he has a lot of media attention now and is gonna play in the Welsh open and the European open whilst his profile is high... if he waited till after the Wlker cup and had a poor showing (ala Ramsey), the Media hype and benefit's he's gonna get from the win would have gone and he would have had to proove himself over again. He will feature heavily in the TV Coverage in his 1st 2 events and if he has a couple of solid performances he will become a household name. He's also gonna get more than the 1/2 million he missed out on in winnings by signing for Titleist or whoever HE chooses whilst he stakes are high. The thing I found funny is he is already ranked above the likes of Monty & Bjorn at 268. May even make the Ryder Cup team if he impresses Monty enough and that wasn't a bad start.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520