• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sky Mountain Golf Course - Southern Utah

I have read that it's 10-12% for every 3000 feet in elevation from MSL. Which, for you, is a pretty straight forward calculation.

For others, like me, it requires more maths. I'm at about 1900 ft now, so playing in Utah at 3100, I'd subtract about 7 yards on my yardage. So, half a club, at most.

At least, that's how I figured it when I was down there.

R35

I seem to remember you were about half a club as well.

Cool, so it's like playing in Europe with Meter measurements, its a +10% calculation. 100m = 110 yards. Cool!

Like I said I'd love to play at altitude some day. Scenery looks stunning.

I now play at around 4000 - 4500' as I live closer to Salt Lake City. I noticed a difference in that as well. It certainly makes a difference. Southern Utah, namely St George and then if you go down to Mesquite NV, has some pretty impressive golf that is unlike most areas and at high elevations. My door is always open if anyone wants a little golf getaway!

Cool, so it's like playing in Europe with Meter measurements, its a +10% calculation. 100m = 110 yards. Cool!

Like I said I'd love to play at altitude some day. Scenery looks stunning.

I play in what might be the flattest place on earth. We have elevation change on our courses, but this was some spectacular heights to deal with on some holes. Not only was it a great background to frame the courses, but the way they carve some of the holes out of canyons and huge rocks is surreal.

Sand Hollow has some incredible views, but the bunkers were incredible. On the second hole (I believe), the fairway bunker has to be 20 feet deep. I kid you not. Our fellow playing partner got in there, took two great swings and couldn't get out, so I told him to take a drop. I was standing 8 feet away from the lip to watch his ball come out and I couldn't see him, his club when he swung, or the sand.

R35

I play in what might be the flattest place on earth. We have elevation change on our courses, but this was some spectacular heights to deal with on some holes. Not only was it a great background to frame the courses, but the way they carve some of the holes out of canyons and huge rocks is surreal.

Sand Hollow has some incredible views, but the bunkers were incredible. On the second hole (I believe), the fairway bunker has to be 20 feet deep. I kid you not. Our fellow playing partner got in there, took two great swings and couldn't get out, so I told him to take a drop. I was standing 8 feet away from the lip to watch his ball come out and I couldn't see him, his club when he swung, or the sand.

R35

I had forgotten about that hahaha....by the way they shrunk the huge bunker on that same hole that is in front of the green as well as two other fairway bunkers that were just becoming menaces to society. I honestly hated to seem them changed, but completely understand.

Remember this par 3 at Sunbrook? The true elevation change is not accurately depicted here.

Sunbrook par 3.jpg

And this hole which follows the island green. Its 250 to the little landing area before the bridge with about a 50 ft drop in elevation, then 200 yards from the bridge to the green. I hate this hole. Hate it.
Sunbrook bridge.jpg

Yes, I remember pulling my shot a tad to the left and it dropping into the H2O. Tough hole, especially if you had any wind.

R35

I now play at around 4000 - 4500' as I live closer to Salt Lake City. I noticed a difference in that as well. It certainly makes a difference. Southern Utah, namely St George and then if you go down to Mesquite NV, has some pretty impressive golf that is unlike most areas and at high elevations. My door is always open if anyone wants a little golf getaway!
Mesquite is awesome!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422