• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So I'm standing there...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and the ball was lying 3 feet above me on a steep bank, balancing precariously on a hanging lie. It was the result of a hooked approach to our par 5 7th hole during Saturday's round. After a good drive I took on the green and made good contact with a 3 wood into the breeze.

You can't go left on this hole, it is Deadsville. And yes readers, even though I had launched this one, unfortunately it started to turn left, only by about 10 yards, but heading towards Armageddon! A massive back runs up the left hand side of the fairway. Sometimes you can rely on a "friendly kick" back down onto the fairway. Unfortunately that didn't happen. The ball stayed on the bank.

And what made it even worse was that there was a hugh thicket of gorse just inches above the ball. So I couldn't get above the ball and try and swing normally. My only options were to take a penaty drop (leaving me nowhere really to drop) or to take on the shot "south paw". I fancy myself sometimes as a left hander and I had no problem flipping over an 8 iron toe-down, but the main difficulty was the ball was so far above my feet. So I was also attempting to take this on "baseball style" AND lefty. Are you still with me here?

If this were a dive it would have been a back 2½ somersault tuck with a triple twist!

So anyway, after a couple of tentative practice swings I set-up over the ball. I couldn't even ground the club for fear of the ball moving, but I gave it the old "one-two" and out she popped, sweet as a nut. The ball carried about 20 yards to the front apron and rolled out to leave me a 15ft putt, which I duely knocked in for an entirely unexpected birdie. I was easily looking at a bogey or worse.

I made it look easy and my playing partners were still scrtaching their heads as I took the honour on the 8th tee!! "WFT?!!! How on Earth...!! etc" :laugh:

Golf is a truely amazing game!! Oh, did I mention that outside that I had three penalty drops in my round mixed in with 4 birdies!! The archetypal "Curate's Egg" game of golf.

Beautiful up and down IG! I can picture it in my head, and if in fact I read it right, damn thats a tough shot, and to get it to 15ft and drain it! Great job.

If this were a dive it would have been a back 2½ somersault tuck with a triple twist!.

Nice shot IG! Although, I was a bit disappointed. When I read the above line I was anticipating you swinging yourself off balance and rolling down the bank.:laugh:

Nice shot IG! Although, I was a bit disappointed. When I read the above line I was anticipating you swinging yourself off balance and rolling down the bank.:laugh:

If I'd lost my balance on that one, I would have tumbled down like a "bag of shit". There would have no graceful fall to Earth. And I would have looked like a tit!

My shins and toes were sore just attemping this particular balance manouvre. I was gripping the club about half way up the shaft, nowhere near the grip. It had that 3.9 difficulty factor! Just lucky it came off. I could have holed that putt with my eyes closed after that shot, it was providence!

Damn those easy shots!!

(btw I've often wondered should I sacrafice my 3 wood for a Leprechaun's left handed wedge!! :laugh:)

Ha!

I made a similar shot earlier this year.
My ball was about 20 feet from the green tucked up TIGHT against a huge boulder. I did the same 8 iron, toe down, right handed grip and a left handed swing. Ball popped out nice and landed 5 feet from the hole. :)

Crazy good shoot, IG.

Well described too!

very nice shot

Nice description and shot! Its funny the feeling you can get when you pull off a shot exactly how you picture it. And then that one shot out of the 75 of em that will bring ya back!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520