• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sorenstam retiring?

I really don't think her mind works that way. Her goal was never to break records, it was simply to play the best golf she possibly could. I don't think Annika sees herself as a historical figure. She wanted to be the best golfer out there on any given day. Now she just wants to be the best mother, chef, teacher - whatever she chooses to be. And I think her place is golf history is well secured.
I don't think Sorenstam's place in history is diminished by not breaking Whitworth's record. Mickey Wright is generally considered the greatest female golfer and she retired early as well (age 34). Not that I want to start a controversy by throwing around "greatest" in a thread about Annika. :eek:

BTW I just put a video of Wright's swing up on YouTube:
YouTube - Mickey Wright Golf Swing

I`m just happy she extended her career this long it wasn`t long ago.(atleast it doesnt seem that long ago.)that she was ready to retire to start a family when things fell apart with her ex and she decided stay and add to her legend.if they hadnt split she probably would have been long ago.

It wont deminish her accomplishments any there are some real greats that have retired in there prime.2 of the greatest RB`s of all time retired in there prime Jim Brown and Barry Sanders.Favre although not in his prime proved he is still better then 2/3rds of the QB`s in the league.Mickey Wright was mentioned.

Why not walk away while you still have time to enjoy doing whatever you want.Although i wish she would stick around with the new up and comers it would be interesting to see if they could catch her.I think she made the right choice being 37 if she wants a family now is the time to get started.

Because men are the audience. And men are pigs.
Oink, oink. :laugh:

I hate to see her retire as well. She is a truly great golfer, a class act, and she will be sorely missed.

Sure she has the right to retire whenever she wants. I am just thinking back 3 years BL (Before Lorena) to when Sorenstam was touted as the female Tiger Woods.

The phrase "If she breaks Whitworth's record...." was not uttered, it was "When she breaks Whitworth's record....." There was never any doubt that she would compete until that record was broken. Suddenly the competition became a little more level, and ...... now she is going to become a dominant figure in June Cleavering.

I understand how female nesting is important, and that her childbearing years are limited, and how the probability of Downs syndrome is increased after age 40, yada yada yada, but, I don't understand why she just doesn't take 2 years off, pop out a litter, hire a nanny, and go back on tour until she breaks that record.

Seriously, can you imagine Tiger quitting now? If my memory serves, didn't the birth of his first born magically miss the dates of a certain major tournament?

Oh well, Lorena is better looking anyway.

Sure she has the right to retire whenever she wants. I am just thinking back 3 years BL (Before Lorena) to when Sorenstam was touted as the female Tiger Woods.

The phrase "If she breaks Whitworth's record...." was not uttered, it was "When she breaks Whitworth's record....." There was never any doubt that she would compete until that record was broken. Suddenly the competition became a little more level, and ...... now she is going to become a dominant figure in June Cleavering.

I understand how female nesting is important, and that her childbearing years are limited, and how the probability of Downs syndrome is increased after age 40, yada yada yada, but, I don't understand why she just doesn't take 2 years off, pop out a litter, hire a nanny, and go back on tour until she breaks that record.

Seriously, can you imagine Tiger quitting now? If my memory serves, didn't the birth of his first born magically miss the dates of a certain major tournament?

Oh well, Lorena is better looking anyway.

Oink, oink....;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424