• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing speed tested today 123 high 112 average

burlguy

Oct 23, 2006
Well for some damn reason when I get over the ball I lock up. When I am on a launch monitor or at home with the speed mate I can swing out of my kazoo. I have become scared to strike the ball with my driver....

I was averaging 112 with no ball in place and could bump it up every once in a while above 120 if I cleared really hard.

If I put a ball in place my driver drops down to 105..... What has happened?

My irons are still strong. My 3wood is still giving me good distance. Has this happened to any one else? I was carrying my 9 iron 160yards just a could days ago.

I have 6.0 rifled shafts in my irons. I have a protopype 60 x for my 3 wood and a 80 x for my driver. Should I go down to a stiff flex ?

I am quite confused... the driver is absolutely gone...100% No predictable flight, no carry, 250 with roll...:deadhorse:

Yips with the driver.......Help I need a psychiatrist.

Well for some damn reason when I get over the ball I lock up. When I am on a launch monitor or at home with the speed mate I can swing out of my kazoo. I have become scared to strike the ball with my driver....

I was averaging 112 with no ball in place and could bump it up every once in a while above 120 if I cleared really hard.

If I put a ball in place my driver drops down to 105..... What has happened?

My irons are still strong. My 3wood is still giving me good distance. Has this happened to any one else? I was carrying my 9 iron 160yards just a could days ago.

I have 6.0 rifled shafts in my irons. I have a protopype 60 x for my 3 wood and a 80 x for my driver. Should I go down to a stiff flex ?

I am quite confused... the driver is absolutely gone...100% No predictable flight, no carry, 250 with roll...:deadhorse:

Yips with the driver.......Help I need a psychiatrist.

Both speed mate and launch monitors are useless when measuring clubhead speeds.

I'm sure others wil disagree but i have seen the results first hand time and again.

Not sure what else to say other than for me I am able to swing faster with a ball on the tee.

I rarely get 120mph without a ball, more like 105mph and less but it feels really awkward.

With the ball absorbing some of the forces it is much easier to rip hard through impact.

Both speed mate and launch monitors are useless when measuring clubhead speeds.

I'm sure others wil disagree but i have seen the results first hand time and again.

Not sure what else to say other than for me I am able to swing faster with a ball on the tee.

I rarely get 120mph without a ball, more like 105mph and less but it feels really awkward.

With the ball absorbing some of the forces it is much easier to rip hard through impact.

Hate to derail the thread, but I love that new sig line 295 :biglol:

I've seen people talk about short game and say stuff like "130 yards and in," and I'm thinking to myself "dammit, I'm still hitting irons with numbers on the bottom at 130 yards :faintthud

:p
Hate to derail the thread, but I love that new sig line 295 :biglol:

I've seen people talk about short game and say stuff like "130 yards and in," and I'm thinking to myself "dammit, I'm still hitting irons with numbers on the bottom at 130 yards :faintthud

No worries. This thread was going nowhere! :p

you cant judge on a LM
i was at one 2 times in a week testing drivers
my old cobra 414 read 325 avg with 343 being the longest and all the new drivers failed to pass 300
the next visit on the same LM was reading 270's with the majority of the drivers used including my own
trackman seems to be the best one to get the speeds and distances off of
LMs are more or less just used to get a feel of the club IMO

never been on one of those, but if I swung hard enough to get 123 mph club head speed, I probably couldnt walk afterwards

I brought the speed mate to the golf course on Sunday. I found that if I take some practice swings with it before getting over the ball I have a little more get after it mojo. My new high was 124. I have to say that the 124 felt remarkably easy. I have found that if I feel a pulling in my left oblique muscles with my hips pulling through I can get that speed effortlessly. I dont however do it every time and am still averaging around 112-114, sometimes a little less.

There is definitely something to tempo and making sure the lag and wrist stays flat at the top of the swing. I have to feel the club head at the top of the swing stabilized and making a solid connection with my left forearm. I have to feel the pulling/loading of the shaft at the top without any bouncing.

I then must feel the rotation of the "belt buckle to target" this just seems to make effortless power. But it is something of a mystery still. It is not that the swing is easier it is just less effort...? The physical expenditure is there, just no fighting of the rotation.

My problem has been guiding the club head through the ball causing all sorts of resistance. I have to trust my swing and allow the ball to get in the way. This will only come with time and pounding balls.

Man this is fun, but so frustrating at times.

Well I dont know what happened today but I was swinging like Angel Cabrerra. I repeatedly swung at 120+ and bumped it up to 134 mph today with a 46" shaft driver.

I was really pumped showing off in front of our PGA club pro. The club champ was there and he was swinging 112. He is really consistent and is a much better golfer than me. But I felt good smoking him at something.

The 134 honestly did not feel hard.... There is something I am missing. I need to get the camera out again and study the differences between 110 vs 130+ and find out why the faster swing feels easier. It really is blowing my mind. Its like something shuts off in my mind, and all tension disappears.

Well I dont know what happened today but I was swinging like Angel Cabrerra. I repeatedly swung at 120+ and bumped it up to 134 mph today with a 46" shaft driver.

I was really pumped showing off in front of our PGA club pro. The club champ was there and he was swinging 112. He is really consistent and is a much better golfer than me. But I felt good smoking him at something.

The 134 honestly did not feel hard.... There is something I am missing. I need to get the camera out again and study the differences between 110 vs 130+ and find out why the faster swing feels easier. It really is blowing my mind. Its like something shuts off in my mind, and all tension disappears.

The particular measuring device you use is known to be unreliable.

I avg. slightly over 120mph on my SSRwTT and I sometimes get what "speedtrainers" call "spikes".

"Spikes" are readings which are too high to be considered real and are not known why they happen. Some people have said it is possible to pick up some of the ballspeed which seems logical.

If you are legitimately swing 134mph the ball should not only go 250yards with roll!

I graduated from watching clubhead speeds anymore. Ballspeed is way more important. Then you move up to ballspeed, launch and spin!

The particular measuring device you use is known to be unreliable.

I avg. slightly over 120mph on my SSRwTT and I sometimes get what "speedtrainers" call "spikes".

"Spikes" are readings which are too high to be considered real and are not known why they happen. Some people have said it is possible to pick up some of the ballspeed which seems logical.

If you are legitimately swing 134mph the ball should not only go 250yards with roll!

I graduated from watching clubhead speeds anymore. Ballspeed is way more important. Then you move up to ballspeed, launch and spin!

I agree entirely with all you said.... I have been driving 280 "carry" max. My 3 wood has been flying into the par 4 265 with the tees moved back. My spin rate is off the charts with the club. It has been sticking and rolling out a couple of feet at best.

I know about the ss tester having aberrations. I was swinging my 5 wood when it showed 188 mph and 410 yards of carry. It picked up ball speed no doubt.

I did get two decent drives last time out. One caught the cart path behind the green at 275 and took off like a rocket.... hahaha it was cheating but still nice to see. I also got on in 2 on par 5 dogleg left 465 yard. It has 100 ft of elevation change right at 210 yards out so unless you get the top of the hill you dont get much roll. I ended up being 200 out with some negative roll and hit a high fade onto the green with a 4 iron.

I tried to get my spin rate down going with a proto pype 80-x and a 9.5 tour burner. I should have gone with an 8.5 degree. But I am still working out the swing and trying to develop more confidence at address. I have so many negative thoughts it is bogging me down.

I have to run into some more money and buy a camera with more frames per second and freeze frame my swing. I am entirely all over the place. I do however know that there are secret moves to the power game and I just have dig deeper to find the missing pieces. You know when you hit the effortless swing and the ball just flies for days, there is something to it and I am determined to find all of it. My goal is to be on a 380 par 4 in one.

To be honest your post has me boggled.

One thing which made no sense was the 188mph ballspeed posted with your 5wood.

Your unit of measure is useless!!!

You can only trust so much when it comes to golf.

Get on a reliable machine that measures launch, spin and ballspeed and also pick up a GPS.

The other part of the post I can personally agree with. There are paths of least resistance that will aid in clubhead speed or in the very least not slow you down.

Another factor is getting neurotransmitters firing properly. You can train to become faster and more elite by training your central nervous system more than actually training your muscles.

So whats the best and cheapest ball speed or club head speed monitor worth buying?

any ideas? What accurate?

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodehene1