• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Video - Help!!

King Par

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize how goofy of a swing I had 'til I seen myself. This is the modified version, the only way I can hit it straight.

Hopefully YouTube doesn't compress it too much.

(The wiffle ball has zero bounce to it, that's why it didn't go up in the second swing.)

YouTube - Swing Video

EDIT: Not sure if you can embed video's or not...so the link is above.

Didn't realize how goofy of a swing I had 'til I seen myself. This is the modified version, the only way I can hit it straight.

Hopefully YouTube doesn't compress it too much.

(The wiffle ball has zero bounce to it, that's why it didn't go up in the second swing.)

YouTube - Swing Video

EDIT: Not sure if you can embed video's or not...so the link is above.

I'll be the first to chime in. Have you heard of the "X-Factor"?

Basically, it's the difference in the turn of the shoulders and the turn of the hips at the top of the swing. The shoulders should turn so that they are 90-degrees from the address postion, while the hips should turn much, much less. You should coil like a spring, but that coil should be from the hips to the shoulders, not from the feet to the shoulders, like you do.

Notice how your hips are very closed at the top of the swing, almost matching your shoulder rotation. You think you're generating more power that way, but in reality you are just losing all semblance of timing. And you clubhead goes way past where it should on the backswing.

I am going through some lessons right now, and I'm trying to fix the same problem. Not as excessive as you, but the same problem nonetheless. My instructor has me "pinching" my right knee in towards the ball at address - in effect "pre-setting" some resistance. Then I'm to swing my shoulders only as far as I can without rotating my hips anymore. Believe me when I say that it feels like I'm barely taking the club back. When I look at it on video, however, I see a full turn. Your body is very flexible (ah youth...) and your brain thinks that the farther you rotate everything the better.

Not true. Watch this clip and notice how his hips barely rotate at all on the backswing, and the shoulders stop rotating just as the hips start to turn back. That's the "X-Factor", and it's what you should focus on.

Heck - this is the perfect swing, as far as I'm concerned.

YouTube - Luke Donald Swing

I'm actually new to this side of the game. Getting technical, I played for fun before no matter where I hit the ball, now I want to get consistant. So thanks for the tips.

I'll take a video of my swing before I started to modify it and I'll post that.

Once again, thanks for the tips and I'll keep these in mind.

Your legs are a little to straight which maybe the cause of a few of your other problems. Just getting setup right will help you tons.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520