• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TIME FOR USGA TO RETHINK AMATEUR STATUS RULES

gogolfer12

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it’s past time that the USGA revises and modernizes its Rules of Amateur Status?
After all, just what is the purpose of making someone who is a golf teacher compete as a professional? This might come as a shock to some of you, but if I could play as an amateur again, that would be my preference. Yet, as the Rules of Amateur Status currently read (and probably will be for the rest of my life), anyone who takes compensation for giving lessons must forfeit amateur status…for PLAYING PURPOSES!
http://usgtf.com/food-for-thought/time-for-usga-to-rethink-amateur-status-rules/
United States Golf Teachers Federation - www.usgtf.com

I'm just thinking out loud here, but if you just started golfing would you want to take lessons from a professional or an amateur? How long and hard did you work to become a professional? Why wouldn't you want to compete that way? I'm wondering what the benefit of competing as an am rather than a pro is?

Extremely interesting topic. Let's see. I've worked in and around the engineering and construction field for 40 years. So, respectfully, I'd like to draw some analogies.
I do my own plumbing. Just this weekend, I replaced a flush valve in a toilet. I do my own wiring. I have all the tools, experience, and knowledge to tackle most any plumbing or electrical repair/installation. I am NOT a licensed plumber or electrician. I can assist son-in-laws with plumbing tasks. I can change light fixtures in a daughter's home. But, I cannot put an ad in the yellow pages and advertise myself as a plumber or electrician... and get paid for providing those services. When a homeowner calls a plumber, they want to be confident that person is licensed and bonded and has passed the tests required to perform the service... professionally and safely. Building codes require that.
Why shouldn't I be able to advertise myself as an "amateur"... and "jack of all trades"... and get paid for it if people want to roll the dice?

Reading the USGA Rules of Golf and how they pertain to amateur status, the Rules use the term "reputation" a significant number of times. If you advertise yourself as a "professional"... If you charge for your services... If you develop a reputation as a professional in this game... You are a professional. If you desire to remain an amateur and play in amateur events, those events are for amateurs... people who are not skilled enough to attempt making a living playing or teaching the game of golf. Why would I want to enter local amateur events or State amateur tournaments if I knew teaching "professionals" from across the area would be competing as amateurs? Why would I spend a couple hundred dollars to enter an amateur event, knowing I would be playing against someone who worked 40 hours/week teaching the game and getting paid for teaching?

That's a complete "devil's advocate" position. Yet, I would not want to play an event against any of the teaching professionals I personally know. They are all excellent players. They are all PGA certified teaching pros. And... I would not want someone selling themselves as a teaching "professional", while they were no more than a weekend hacker. The game of golf is built around the integrity of the participants. To have someone attempting to better themselvs at the game be taken advantage of by a less-than-skilled teacher... an "amateur" advertising as a "professional"... compromises that integrity.

To expand on what Limp said, yes I read it all! I to have played with pros who regained their amateur status. There is a big gap between their game and mine and the games if mist weekend hackers. Although I have also played with sales people who are better players than some teaching pros.

There are tournaments for pros and amateurs and both, why would a pro want to play in an amateur tourney?

Our club professional really just runs the shop, and gives the odd lesson. He is about a 5 h/c. He plays every Saturday in a 4-ball, but cannot compete in any of the official club competitions. I would be cool if he did.
It's an interesting subject.

Our club professional really just runs the shop, and gives the odd lesson. He is about a 5 h/c. He plays every Saturday in a 4-ball, but cannot compete in any of the official club competitions. I would be cool if he did.
It's an interesting subject.
Most pros in my area are like this, more involved in running the shop than anything.

To expand on what Limp said, yes I read it all! I to have played with pros who regained their amateur status. There is a big gap between their game and mine and the games if mist weekend hackers. Although I have also played with sales people who are better players than some teaching pros.

There are tournaments for pros and amateurs and both, why would a pro want to play in an amateur tourney?
I played in an amateur tournament and was paired with Ted Purdy. I seriously thought "WTF?!" until I beat him by a stroke... :D

Back to the OP - I agree with the USGA. A teaching professional gets certified by the PGA of America (the P stands for professional) so I don't see the problem. There is a way to regain amateur status, if you really wanted to do it, but I don't know what it is right off hand.

While I may not get to play in as many tournaments as I would like, I did work hard and practiced a lot to earn my PGA membership and I take pride in playing in sectional events when I get the chance to, even if I don't play as well as I would like.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520