• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Usage of left leg and right arm - right handed

SpeedyPro

Reaction score
Hi all

I've got question on the usage of my left leg on backswing, and right arm on downswing/followthrough.

I'm right-handed.

Q1. When you completed your backswing, the club and your hands are at the top of the arc, how much portion of your weight remains on left leg?
I've tried several different styles, and I hit farther when I intentionally lean to the left. I feel quite amount of tension on the left leg muscle.

Q2. I heard/read many times that it's better right arm and right hand totally remain passive during the whole swing process, but I noticed I hit better when I actively apply force on the right arm while impact-followthrough. If I don't apply any force on the right arm, I usually hook.
So the question is, do you guys use your right arm/hand actively?

Thanks in advance

SP

They say you should shift your weight to the right but I'm like you. At most I'm 50/50 on the backswing. And I also think you need to come through the ball with the right arm, otherwise how can you release the club closed at impact? If I don't use the right arm/hand I slice! :)

I'm no pro, but I see two bad things from concentrating on "leaning to the left". One is a possible reverse pivot that will rob you of any power. The other is not keeping your head steady or behind the ball where it should be. Which will create all kinds of problems. Personally I try and keep the weight to the inside of my feet during the swing, and in doing so just let it transfer naturally based on my swing. If you keep it to the inside of your feet, you not only maintain good balance but proper shift. Also keeps your mind off trying to manipulate your upper body during the swing, but more concentrate on your foundation.

As far as right arm. I usually have been told they should be equally active, although this likely depends who you talk too. I have also heard many say the right arm is just along for the ride. Which could help in not closing the face, and take away from the hook. Although it could also allow for a slice from lack of release. Which is usually the case if I do so, even when a draw was my predominant shot. Probably depends a little on you swing tendency.

I would simply add that I hope you are not thinking of both of these during your swing on the course. May be enough to kill your swing with tension. I have never heard anyone tell me that any good will come as a result of more than one swing thought but more counterproductive. Even one can be dangerous on the course.

Again, I am no pro, and not even what I would consider a great golfer. My new approach which has paid dividends is to think of nothing but my target and a smooth easy tempo. I have found if my tempo is sound, the rest of my swing will usually fall into place. Plus it is a nice relaxing thought

About left foot and right arm

Concerning the weight shift. We are told to keep our head steady during the back-swing. Some do this better than others. If you coil on your back-swing, you will keep your head more steady than if your rock back. Still, the head may move a bit laterally to the right. When this occurs, some weight will transfer to the right foot. Just make sure that you have some flex or firmness in the right leg to prevent that weight from escaping to the outside of the right foot. If it gets outside, you cannot get the weight going back to the left on the down-swing.
I would concentrate on coiling back, and also, I would try to get my left shoulder over my right knee at the time I am at the top of my back-swing. Now, I am "behind the ball." I will want to still be behind the ball until after impact. If the head drifted to the right a bit, it can drift back to where it was at address but not beyond that point until after impact.
For those who allow the weight to move to the right on the back-swing, the heel of the left foot will want to come up. This is especially true with the driver, a long club that requires a fuller swing than a wedge, for example. The shorter the club, the smaller the swing. The smaller the swing, the less need for a big weight shift. My left foot stays down on short irons. On a drive, it comes up just a bit. Whether it comes up or not, I initiate my down-swing by pressing down on my left heel.
Concerning the right arm. I would not suggest thinking about this very much. Let the movement happen naturally. On the back-swing, the left arm stays straight and the right arm folds at the elbow. Moving through impact, the left arm stays straight and the right arm will straighten out as well. Well past impact, both arms are straight if you have good extention. As the shoulders keep turning, the clubhead begins coming to the inside, so the left arm now folds at the elbow with the right arm remaining straight. As one once said, "The right-handed golfer's follow through is the left-handed golfer's back-swing." You really do not have to think about this. Just make sure that your club "swishes" at the impact area of the swing.
Best of luck to you with your game. Sincerely, Cypressperch

Here I would like to add that today (Tiger, an example) many golfers keep the left leg firm at impact. You can have a straight left leg and still have rotated the left hip. Then you come to a high finish. In previous eras, that lead leg was bending some, as with Jack Nicklaus. People were trying to stay behind the ball for the whole swing, not just until after impact. Hitting into a firm left leg and coming to a high finish probably will help preserve one's back and other vital parts. CP

Hi all

I've got question on the usage of my left leg on backswing, and right arm on downswing/followthrough.

I'm right-handed.

Q1. When you completed your backswing, the club and your hands are at the top of the arc, how much portion of your weight remains on left leg?
I've tried several different styles, and I hit farther when I intentionally lean to the left. I feel quite amount of tension on the left leg muscle.

Q2. I heard/read many times that it's better right arm and right hand totally remain passive during the whole swing process, but I noticed I hit better when I actively apply force on the right arm while impact-followthrough. If I don't apply any force on the right arm, I usually hook.
So the question is, do you guys use your right arm/hand actively?

Thanks in advance

SP

Q1# Um, at the top of my backswing, I'd say it's about 70-30, maybe 80-20 on stronger swings, favoring the right leg.

Q#2 Usually my right arm is along for the ride, unless I'm really forcing a shot, where I put more pressure with it.

When I watch SwingVision clips of the pros' downswings, I see the left side pulling through the ball. The hips clear, and the coiled torso unwinds.

I also see the right hand cradling the grip until the shaft is parallel to the ground, looking very passive up to that point. Then the right hand gets actively involved in the swing, rotating the right forearm through the release. I think the right hand has to be actively involved, but only during the two feet before and after impact.

When I'm swinging well, I always feel that I'm "using" my right hand during the swing. I don't ever feel that it's just "going along for the ride".

Wow, a lot of nice info there. Thanks all.
I gotta go to the range and try your tips.
Especially for the weight remaining on left leg at the backswing, someone today posted about "Stack and Tilt" swing, and it just sounds like it.

I think your going to overthink this and create much uneeded tension in your swing. I play entirely by feel now, as opposed to the very hogan-esque outlook i had before. I get into a good posture, find the balance, and let my natual althletic ability take over. The body can make a wonderful swing, its just the stupid brain that screws things up. That being said, I try not to have any swing thoughts what so ever. If I have none, I will play well. If i have one, maybe good. If i start analyzing my swing, the wheels fall off. You would be suprised how good of a swing you can create with just proper balance and posture.

I don't think either "hand" should be used for anything. If someone is thinking of swinging with thier hands and actively trying to turn the club over with the right hand? Yikes, that's going to equal all over the place. IMO, get a solid, solid grip and don't ever think about the hands again.

I don't think either "hand" should be used for anything. If someone is thinking of swinging with thier hands and actively trying to turn the club over with the right hand? Yikes, that's going to equal all over the place. IMO, get a solid, solid grip and don't ever think about the hands again.

Is that why I'm spraying the ball all over the place? All I know is that if I DON'T turn my hands over, the ball goes right. Always. If I actively turn my hands over, then ball goes straight a LOT more often.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520