• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge porting

Well, thats like most things for us not pro golfers lol. Usually mental. I mean I had an 8.5* cobra s2 driver. i found a sweet deal on a nike vr limited ed....bought it. THOUGHT it was a 9.5....where I thought the 8.5 was far too little loft for me. Ran out...pulled head cover off....didnt look at it again (id been shoppin em before there and thought this one was the 9.5). Hit it 15-20 times, liked it a lot. Then realized it WAS an 8.5. Not a large sample size, but if you seen 15-20 balls from my old driver vs new...it was quite improved, lol.

Moral of the story...mental.

I did do some reading after I posted that, but to me it seems highly unlikely it can help me. I mean in reality i use my 56 for 90% of shots around the green. I dont find the weight to be my issue, though it does fly pretty high. However, all of my irons are "high". So probably more of a swing issue then club center of gravity. While that may help me fly lil lower I seen is one possible effect....I dont think I am good enough to the point I will effectively use it or it will improve my scores.

I could gain a lot more improvement from eliminating nasty blow up holes caused mostly by driver inconsistency (ie penalty strokes), etc.

Here is an ok pic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347225556.587961.jpg

I sanded off some of the finish, I tried putting some lead tape in the head but it didn't feel right, it still doesn't feel great but it's getting there.

Machinist talk - the "8620" is the type of alloy. The 20 represents the amount of carbon in the alloy. It is easily machined but is usually heat-treated or case-hardened afterward, which may have been done (I honestly don't know if they harden wedges) and could be the reason you broke the bit.

themoreyouknow.jpg

I guess it depends on who you ask as to what porting does. Some will say that it is supposed to bring the flight down by taking weight from the lower part of the wedge and adding it via lead tape to the upper part. That has not been my experience.

I mainly did it because the "feel" of my wedges was effed up. I would pick them up and they just didnt feel good. Ironically enough i only drilled one tiny hole in one and two in the other, really not enough to "change" the actual weight of the club by a discernable amount. BUT, they feel good now. I think its more mental than anything, but I am swinging them better than ever. Go figure.

FWIW, I didn't see a difference in flight but I am a high ball hitter. Also, not really sure if this actually works or not. WHo knos?

Man, golf is incredibly mental. I had a cobra S2 driver....8.5*, couldnt hit it for nothin this year. Bought a VR-pro LE driver damn cheap....it also an 8.5*. HOWEVER, when i bought it...i thought it was a 9.5* because id looked at a couple different ones there and got confused..longer story... Got out on the range, never took the sock off until this point. I ripped the plastic off...hit 15-20 balls with it, was like wow i like this! Then, looked at bottom...it was an 8.5* lol. What else could be different that I could hit this one pretty good from the get go.

Golf, the only time I'd pay for this kinda torture.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520