• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's in your bag??? - Mini Review

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Driver - Taylormade R1

What is there not to like about this driver?

Full adjustability? Check

App for dialing it in to your swing? Check

I know I know its "last years driver" but this thing is freaking awesome. No driver can fix a bad swing but with the ability to dial in a baby draw to power fade and loft up or down with a few turns of the wrench is great. I suggest spending some time at the range getting to know the R1 and dialing it in to your swing, but seriously the sky is the limit. Definitely worth the trade in of my Cleveland SL290!

Fairway Wood - Taylormade Stage 2 Tour HL 3 wood

Or as I think of it...my 4 wood

Again "last years tech". Bah, I say! This club is bad ass and fills a need in my bag, less options. Sure the club is fully adjustable but I can loft down for windy days or loft up with just a few turns of the wrench. Definitely worth the trade in of my Cleveland Mashie Woods!

Hybrid - Taylormade Stage 2 Tour 3 Hybrid

Or as I think of it...my 6 wood

Again "last years tech". Blah, blah, blah! This club fills a need in my bag, less options. Sure the club is fully adjustable but I can loft down for windy days or loft up with just a few turns of the wrench. The length of the stick and the smaller head are going to take some getting used to but time will tell.

Irons - Ping i3 Blades 3-SW

I have hit these in the past but never gamed them. A few guys on here raved that they are "the best iron they have ever hit". The set I traded for was 3-W, I picked up the matching UW and SW on the bay. Regripped them and hit the range.

Most of you know I have a serious, clinical really, need to ho. I get irons, I sell irons. I trade of irons, I trade those irons for something else. Dare I say those days are over?

I have never hit an iron as well as I hit theses! I was hitting them so high I was afraid of balooning but my distances were a good 5-10 yards longer than my previous sticks, I don't know if its the irons or me finally being happy with a set of clubs.

The only issue I have is the SW has been ridden hard and put away wet. The previous owner must have been a gamer because the grooves are nearly gone. I purchased a groove sharpening tool, so I will see if I can give that old stick new life!

Putter - Counterbalanced FrankenPutter II

Project X Shaft - 115 grams. Why Not???
Belly Golf Milled Putter Head - 360 grams
100 gram Tour Lock counterweight
Winn Midsize Pistol Grip - 76 grams
35" and chocking down 2", the putter has a D2 swing weight.

This thing is money, has a soft feel and with the counter weight my hands feel steadier at impact. My lag putts are closer and I give myself a shot at rolling it in almost every time!

I feel like my bag is complete and I plan on breaking into the single digits with my cap this year!!!

Whats in your bag and why???

Last edited:
This is a "mini" review?

My sig is a mini review of what's in my bag.

Woods
  • Titleist 913 D3 9.5* S Matrix Ozik 6x3 White Tie. I have the head set open and flat.
  • Titleist 910 F 15* S Matrix Ozik xcon7. Also set open and flat.
  • Titeist 585 H 19* S Matrix Ozik Altis. Fixed head. It's .5* open
My woods are geared for a higher launch traj. without too much spin.

Irons
  • Titleist AP2 (original) Project X 5.5 (3-7)
  • Titeist MB 710 KBS Tour S (8-pw)
My irons are a bit of bastard mix. I wanted more forgiveness in my long irons and more precision with my short irons. My logic is that the AP2 is a higher launching head (because of lower CG), so I have a mid traj shaft. The blades are a lower launching head with a mid-high launching shaft. I tried to get my yardage gaps and trajectories as seamless a possible.

Wedges
  • Titleist Vokey SP (2007) 54.11 & 60.07 TT wedge flex
Putter
  • Odyssey Versa #9 Super Stroke mid-slim
All my clubs are gripped with Golf Pride New Decade MC white.

I know I know its "last years driver" but this thing is freaking awesome.

The driver is one of the clubs in the bag that I cannot swap out willy nilly. I'm playing the original RBZ 10.5* Tour head with an upgraded stiff shaft (Diamana S+ 62g) and I feel like the longer I play it, the better I get to know it. With the minimum face thickness reached a few years back, the only thing the OEMs can do is improve forgiveness so I feel like I'm not losing distance by sticking with an older model.

This club is a low spinner, responsive yet forgiving setup for my swing and I don't plan on changing any time soon.

Driver: GEEK DCT 9º with a (I think...) Matrix XCON x flex

Likes: Everything. I lost distance because of the x flex, however, my ball flight is great and my accuracy is improved over my last drivers

Dislikes: Not much if anything...

Fairway wood: Callaway Warbird 3w with a grafalloy blue

Dislikes: Everything...this shaft blows, way too whippy and unstable. Sweet spot is too small. I never use it unless I want to hook the snot out of the ball out of some trouble.

Hybrid: TEE Ironwood 2i

Dislikes: I can't hit hybrids to save my life. The shaft is too long, the lie angle isn't right for me...

Irons: MacGregor forged something or others with Nippons.

Likes: Great Irons for me. Players cavity backs. Thin top line, not much offset, forged, great feel, great ball flight. I can work them left and sometimes right. The shafts are great.

Dislikes: I need to change the grips...other than that, nothing really.

Wedges: Maltby Forged M series wedges 52º and 56º

Dislikes: Nothing.

Putter: Some Taylormade Rossa semi-mallet style...

Dislikes: Doesn't roll the rock into the hole as much as I want it to.

Driver: FT Tour, 10.5 w/ fubuki. Looks good, feels good, shaft is good. It's as long or longer than the other 12 drivers I tried last year. We will SE how this year goes.

TEE CB1 3w, been in the bag 6 yrs and counting. Enough said.

Ping i3 blade: best irons I've hit ever.

Driver - Taylormade R1

What is there not to like about this driver?

Full adjustability? Check

App for dialing it in to your swing? Check

I know I know its "last years driver" but this thing is freaking awesome. No driver can fix a bad swing but with the ability to dial in a baby draw to power fade and loft up or down with a few turns of the wrench is great. I suggest spending some time at the range getting to know the R1 and dialing it in to your swing, but seriously the sky is the limit. Definitely worth the trade in of my Cleveland SL290!

Fairway Wood - Taylormade Stage 2 Tour HL 3 wood

Or as I think of it...my 4 wood

Again "last years tech". Bah, I say! This club is bad ass and fills a need in my bag, less options. Sure the club is fully adjustable but I can loft down for windy days or loft up with just a few turns of the wrench. Definitely worth the trade in of my Cleveland Mashie Woods!

Hybrid - Taylormade Stage 2 Tour 3 Hybrid

Or as I think of it...my 6 wood

Again "last years tech". Blah, blah, blah! This club fills a need in my bag, less options. Sure the club is fully adjustable but I can loft down for windy days or loft up with just a few turns of the wrench. The length of the stick and the smaller head are going to take some getting used to but time will tell.

Irons - Ping i3 Blades 3-SW

I have hit these in the past but never gamed them. A few guys on here raved that they are "the best iron they have ever hit". The set I traded for was 3-W, I picked up the matching UW and SW on the bay. Regripped them and hit the range.

Most of you know I have a serious, clinical really, need to ho. I get irons, I sell irons. I trade of irons, I trade those irons for something else. Dare I say those days are over?

I have never hit an iron as well as I hit theses! I was hitting them so high I was afraid of balooning but my distances were a good 5-10 yards longer than my previous sticks, I don't know if its the irons or me finally being happy with a set of clubs.

The only issue I have is the SW has been ridden hard and put away wet. The previous owner must have been a gamer because the grooves are nearly gone. I purchased a groove sharpening tool, so I will see if I can give that old stick new life!
Putter - Counterbalanced FrankenPutter II

Project X Shaft - 115 grams. Why Not???
Belly Golf Milled Putter Head - 360 grams
100 gram Tour Lock counterweight
Winn Midsize Pistol Grip - 76 grams
35" and chocking down 2", the putter has a D2 swing weight.

This thing is money, has a soft feel and with the counter weight my hands feel steadier at impact. My lag putts are closer and I give myself a shot at rolling it in almost every time!

I feel like my bag is complete and I plan on breaking into the single digits with my cap this year!!!

Whats in your bag and why???

Same R1 driver for same reasons. An I'm keeping my X-Hot in case I can't make it work.

No 3-wood. Hit my cheapo Walter Hagen 5-wood as far as I've ever hit a 3-wood and much straighter. Easy to hit off the carpet.

Adams hybrid works as good for me as I can manage. I still suck with hybrids or long irons.

Ping G5 irons. Had a set of these once but the pro fit them wrong and never liked them. These work great.

Vokey spin-milled 56º wedge has always been as good as any I've hit.

Odyssey Sabertooth putter (short) with Fatso grip has been the best I've found also.

Driver: TMAG R1TP - (S flex)
Love this driver. Lover the TP shaft. Had quite a time learning how to turn it over. Have that mastered. Can hit a straight to easy draw ball that runs a mile. Can hit a power fade that isn't quit as long but still goes a long ways. You can't get lazy with this shaft, but it really puts the ball out there for an old man.

Fairway woods: TMAG R9 - (R flex)
Have 15 degree 3-wood, 17 degree 4-wood, and 19 degreed 5-wood. Have the 4 and 5 in the bag. Put the 3-wood shaft in the 4-wood. It's about 1/4" longer. I've learned to turn the 4-wood either way. The 5-wood is simply a reliable old friend who can get the ball down the fairway.

Hybrids: Adams A7 (R flex)
4h and 5h. Both fill the distance gaps between my 5-wood and 5-iron. Easy to hit. Not going anywhere.

Irons: Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (S flex)
Have 3-LW. Currently have 5-PW in the bag. These old friends have been with me for many years. They know what I expect of them... and they perform.

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 52 and 58 (Wedge flex)
The Ping wedges have worked so well for so many years. Yet, it was just getting difficult to stop a ball on postage stamp greens. Picked up the Jaws wedges this winter. Been an off and on again relationship. Had 'em in the bag. Couldn't get used to them. Put the Pings back in. A couple weeks ago went back to the Jaws. They do seem to be working a little better this time. Totally different reaction on the greens as what I'm used to. Tough to learn what I need to do to get the ball close to the hole. Will give them another couple weeks and make a decision as to whether they stay or go.

Putter(s):
1.) Odyssey White Ice #7 35" This one has been lead putter for a couple of years. Most of the time, we get along okay. The past few days, she went south. Think I figured her out this morning and, would you believe it, it wasn't the putter. I was stopping and not moving through the ball. Got that working this morning and she woke up.
2.) Ping My Echo 35" Old putter. Use it to scare the Odyssey when needed. They don't like each other. Put the My Echo in the bag and the Odyssey seems to come back to life. Lover the way this old Ping rolls the ball.
3/4.) Ping Anser 4 - BeCu and SST, both 35". Love the looks of both, but they have too much loft and neither has been played is some time.

Really have my eyes on one of the new Odyssey #7 Tank Cruiser putters. Adjustable head weights and adjustable counterbalance weights. Saw one of the Super Stoke "Flatso" grips yesterday. The Cruiser comes with a Fatso 3.0. May see if I can special order it with the Flatso.

Pretty satisfied with my bag. Wedges are a little iffy. I'm almost 68 years old and can still see a round in the 70's now and then. Getting closer to shooting my age every day. Just don't see any reason to shake things up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520