• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wie at Qualifier

EDSGolf

She is -2 after her 1st 18 holes and in great shape to make the cut. Just saw her chip in on #18 for birdie, go Wie go!

EDSGolf said:
She is -2 after her 1st 18 holes and in great shape to make the cut. Just saw her chip in on #18 for birdie, go Wie go!

She is done. She bogied her first hole of the afternoon round on the tougher of the two courses. She will make it someday but not today.

Probably going to need 5-6 under to get there and her putter is failing her. Not a good combination.

She needs to start putting lights out it will be lights out. No matter what happens she is a great golfer no doubt.

It's really to bad she didn'y make it in. She may someday though which would be huge. I must admit I wasn't a big Wie fan to start with but I'm coming around. She is doing great things at a very young age, and it's awsome to watch her grow and improve.

Not to be negative but I think I'd be more impressed if she won an LPGA event than I would be if she simply qualified for men's event.

It was impressive how she kept up with guys in her group with her drives though.

DaveE said:
Not to be negative but I think I'd be more impressed if she won an LPGA event than I would be if she simply qualified for men's event.

It was impressive how she kept up with guys in her group with her drives though.

I couldn't agree more.

Impress me with 10 wins in one season on the LPGA, then I'll root for you to make the men's cut.

Right now, she's just showing how much more work her game needs to keep up.

Who wants to barely qualify for the Open only to finish dead last?

R35

DaveE and Rock have a point. She does need to win something, and I'd say fairly soon ie this season. I like that she tried and liek i said it would have been great if she had made it. Though gettin gdestroyed at Winged foot would have hurt her more then anything.

I admire her ambission but the men's tour and the womens tour are to different beasts all together. Qualifying is one thing, being able to actualy play well and keep up with the guys in the feild is another.

DaveE said:
Rockford35 said:
I couldn't agree more.
Mahalleday said:
DaveE and Rock have a point.

OK, make it 4. I've been nonplussed by her whole approach to the tours, figuring that she should do what she wants (or what her dad wants, I guess), while hearing various commentators suggesting that she should just go beat up on the kids, then on the women.

Besides, her approach got her an endorsement or 2, right? And as we've discussed before, she does bring in the fans and ad dollars to events where she gets exemptions.

However, at the qualifier, her putter let her down. It looked like nerves to me; she was missing 2 footers.

I think she needs to go beat up on the kids.

Oh wait, she abandoned her amateur status, no?

She should go beat up on the women then. :D

Farquod said:
However, at the qualifier, her putter let her down. It looked like nerves to me; she was missing 2 footers.

I think she needs to go beat up on the kids.

Oh wait, she abandoned her amateur status, no?

She should go beat up on the women then. :D

I think it's a great learning experience for her. The more the pressure, the better she'll be able to handle it next time.
Remember when Annika played Colonial. After that, she went on a win streak rampage...

I have no problem with Wie trying to qualify for men's events. I would prefer to have her go through a qualification process rather then get exemptions as it tends to bring out the worst in people and we have to listen to all the drama every half hour on the golf channel. If she wants to qualify for men's events, so be it. It is her dream and if she chooses a different path than others then that is her choice.

I just wish I could qualify to enter the local qualifier :D

Here is the thing, let's pretend for a second that she is a 16 year old boy not a girl. Even if "he" were twice as good as she is now would anyone give her the opprotunities shes getting now or the attention. I doubt it.

she has her goals and thats all well and good but don't you think that sooner or later instead of her getting beaten by the guys and not winning anything etc etc will sop being a good learnign experience and just another Michelle Wie failure?

She's good I'll give her that but, I don't think she as good right now as people like to think she is. She would have been absolutley destroyed at the Us Open and I gaurantee no matter how much everyone her included says "oh well it was a great experience and I leraned a lot", it'd be a huge blow to the ego. Granted US Opens are extremly tough for anyone, that shouldnt be an excuse, she simply is not good enough to be in the Open and it showed when she failed to qualify.

MAHALLEDAY said:
She would have been absolutley destroyed at the Us Open and I gaurantee no matter how much everyone her included says "oh well it was a great experience and I leraned a lot", it'd be a huge blow to the ego.

A blow to the ego? So does it mean that you sucks if you qualify to the US open and finish last ? And it all depends on the persons philosophy.
If it were me, I'd see it as a learning experience. I bet some substantial amount of money playing with my golf group, and when I lose, I don't like it, but I see it as a lesson.
Not a blow to the ego, on the contrary. Some players are better than me, and it gives me the fun and challenge to better my game.

I'll grant you some people think they are the best and when they lose, it's an ego crusher. But MW is someone who wants to become the best. This is the same with Tiger Woods, as he's always learning and improving.

Its all state of mind and expectations. Who really knows what hers are? As loop points out any one of us would be thrilled to have accomplished as much in the open qualifier as she did. But what were her hopes and expectations?

I will agree with the argument that winning, holding the trophy over your head, being number One, takes a special frame of mind, something in addition to being a great ball striker. If her experiences in the mens events take her game to a higher level and when in the lpga events she kicks A and establishes herself as a winner well good for her. But there are enough good women golfers (sorenstam (sp) creamer, gublis, etc) that are not just gonna stand back in awe and let her win either. Personally, If I were her I would work on building that mindset more.

Most of us if we took our best scores ever on each hole would be well below par, so we can hit the ball well enough to play the round to par or better. So why so hard for many of us to break 80? The mental game,mindset. On the other hand I would add that my mind and mindset are probably way weaker that wie's.

Adam Pettman said:
Her personal goal is to beat the Men and 16 yr olds are very stuborn believe me.

LOL... I remember trying to get into girl's pants at 16 too... and you're right, they're definitely stubborn. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?