• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wie holding on playing with the men.

mont86

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Michelle Wie isn't going to be playing with the men for awhile.

Leadbetter supposedly convinced Wie parents that she should be working on her game on the LPGA..

A local golf show is reporting it this morning.

Thank god... I would have given her the same advice after probably the 2nd miserable failure with it. It would also be different if she was cleaning up against the ladies but other than some top 10 finishes in a few majors she hasn't done much there either.

She was starting to remind me of the college basketball star that was an awesome freshman player then goes to the NBA and does nothing. Hopefully she'll get her game together against the ladies. She has a couple very very good players to catch first (Sorenstam and Ochoa) before I'll consider her one of the best women players regardless how far she drives the ball or how pretty her swing is.

Thank god... I would have given her the same advice after probably the 2nd miserable failure with it. It would also be different if she was cleaning up against the ladies but other than some top 10 finishes in a few majors she hasn't done much there either.

She was starting to remind me of the college basketball star that was an awesome freshman player then goes to the NBA and does nothing. Hopefully she'll get her game together against the ladies. She has a couple very very good players to catch first (Sorenstam and Ochoa) before I'll consider her one of the best women players regardless how far she drives the ball or how pretty her swing is.

I'll start by saying that this is a good move as I think, once healthy, she will be a force to reckon with on the LPGA.

As for the use of "miserable", I don't think that word really applies to her efforts. She came very close to making the cut on more than one occasion and when you consider we're talking about (at the time) a 16yr old; that's pretty damn impressive!

Wrt her performance on the LPGA, some top ten finishes in MAJORS is extremely impressive! Remember, she wasn't playing a full schedule; she was playing a few tourneys and majors, that's it! And again, we're talking about a 16yr old!!

The analogy of the college basketball player again doesn't hold water here because you're talking about someone that isn't even headed off to college for another few months.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some die hard Wie fan. I just think the expectations that folks have placed on her are fairly unreasonable. Grant it, she has put herself in this position and so she has no one to blame but herself (and maybe her folks) but what she has accomplished (or even almost accomplished) at her age is very impressive.

Now, ten years from now if her resume still looks pretty much the same (ie. no wins) then, sure, flame away!

I wasn't trying to flame her, in fact I'm a big fan. I just think she's getting getting bad advice from her "handlers" (i.e. parents, financial advisor, agent, etc.) so they can cash in and rack up the endorsements. I'm not against making some $$$ while the opportunity is there I just think they paid more attention to that than her golfing career up until now.

The track she's taken so far has allowed a lot of critics to take hold and definitely built up some resentment from a lot of the players in the professional golfing community.

Call me old fashioned but I think she should be making her media splashes on the course.

Well anyway, I don't really blame her. She seems like a really nice kid and I hope her career does take off and she's very successful. The LPGA can always use another very good, attractive and popular player.

BTW, I'm pretty sure she's already been at college for a while now (maybe 6 months or more? I could be wrong about though.) -- I was listening to the tourney director from Tulsa the other day and she opted out of their tournament because of school.

She is an amazing player and what she has done so far PGA and LPGA wise is amazing, but she really did show nerves going for the cuts on the PGA.

She still is a great player and staying the way of the LPGA for now until she is week in week out a name to be talked about, she should keep working there at least before trying at the mens events again, of course i doubt she'll wait that long, but that would be the better route to go, all LPGA.

The men play the PGA and the women play the LPGA, thats that, its not discrimination, its just how its done, i honestly think they should make that a rule for the PGA, again, no discrimination against the ladies, because some of them could make good livings on the PGA tour still, but i just dont watch the PGA for the skirts.

I wasn't trying to flame her, in fact I'm a big fan. I just think she's getting getting bad advice from her "handlers" (i.e. parents, financial advisor, agent, etc.) so they can cash in and rack up the endorsements. I'm not against making some $$$ while the opportunity is there I just think they paid more attention to that than her golfing career up until now.

The track she's taken so far has allowed a lot of critics to take hold and definitely built up some resentment from a lot of the players in the professional golfing community.

Call me old fashioned but I think she should be making her media splashes on the course.

Well anyway, I don't really blame her. She seems like a really nice kid and I hope her career does take off and she's very successful. The LPGA can always use another very good, attractive and popular player.

BTW, I'm pretty sure she's already been at college for a while now (maybe 6 months or more? I could be wrong about though.) -- I was listening to the tourney director from Tulsa the other day and she opted out of their tournament because of school.

She's due to start Stanford this fall...

She is an amazing player and what she has done so far PGA and LPGA wise is amazing, but she really did show nerves going for the cuts on the PGA.

She still is a great player and staying the way of the LPGA for now until she is week in week out a name to be talked about, she should keep working there at least before trying at the mens events again, of course i doubt she'll wait that long, but that would be the better route to go, all LPGA.

The men play the PGA and the women play the LPGA, thats that, its not discrimination, its just how its done, i honestly think they should make that a rule for the PGA, again, no discrimination against the ladies, because some of them could make good livings on the PGA tour still, but i just dont watch the PGA for the skirts.

There's now way you could do men on PGA and laides on LPGA that wouldn't be disrimination. The PGA is the top of the class in the world of golf and anyone that is able to qualify to play on it should be allowed to play on it.

The PGA is the top of the class in the world of golf and anyone that is able to qualify to play on it should be allowed to play on it.

That has been the main point of contention with a lot of her critics. She hasn't "qualified" but been given exemptions. On the other hand, it can be argued that sponsors exemptions are often given to those who wouldn't qualify anyway so she really hasn't taken a spot from anyone when she does play in a men's event. One thing is for sure though in my opinion, any woman should be able to play the PGA if she can qualify be it through Q school or a Monday qualifier.

That has been the main point of contention with a lot of her critics. She hasn't "qualified" but been given exemptions. On the other hand, it can be argued that sponsors exemptions are often given to those who wouldn't qualify anyway so she really hasn't taken a spot from anyone when she does play in a men's event. One thing is for sure though in my opinion, any woman should be able to play the PGA if she can qualify be it through Q school or a Monday qualifier.

It's a fine line but it sounds like you and I are in agreement on this one. You don't want to get me started on the Casey Martin issue though....

Why is that? You don't think he should have been able to ride in a cart or you think that people with legit disabilties should be allowed accomodations?

This was a very tough case that had valid arguments on both sides.

Why is that? You don't think he should have been able to ride in a cart or you think that people with legit disabilties should be allowed accomodations?

This was a very tough case that had valid arguments on both sides.

That's the thing, I'm as torn as can be when it comes to that case. You start arguing about the fact that it is professional golf and everyone should play under the same conditions disability or not. I mean, they didn't call time out for Jim Abbott so he could get his glove back on after the pitch. You start down that road though and you start sounding like a heartless prick that could care less about equal opportunity laws etc.

You really hit the nail on the head with valid arguments on both sides! That's why the women playing on the "men's" tour is pretty damn straight forward.

There's alot of discussion that the other LPGA players that had to go through qualifying to make the tour are upset she gets all the sponsors exemptions in playing in these tournies. I don't blame them. :)

There's alot of discussion that the other LPGA players that had to go through qualifying to make the tour are upset she gets all the sponsors exemptions in playing in these tournies. I don't blame them. :)

My reply to them would be, "WAH!" There are just jealous that they're not the marketing juggernaut that she was made into. Sponsor exemptions are handed out at the sponsor's discretion. Don't hate the playa, hate the game. (damn, I watch too much SportsCenter...:( )

The repeated sponsor exceptions she has been offered need to stop they aren’t doing her any good the novelty has grown old. I wonder how she felt about Tad making the cut this year. I can see her getting the first one or two but they keep giving her the exceptions and the PGA should step in and do something about it. Props to Ledbetter for convincing her parents to stop being idiots, does anyone remember Jennifer Capriatti(sp). I say she should give Q School a shot and see if she could earn it. I’m reading the book “Stories from Q School” and there are 100 more deserving players out there that for what ever reason the have lost their card or didn’t earn their card that could benefit from a sponsor exception more then Michelle. When the number one player in the world rips the way she is being brought along they should have listen before when Tiger said she need to learn how to win first.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

FedEx Ranking