• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2 iron

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Reaction score
Who uses a 2 iron?

I'm in the market for one. I don't feel comfortable hitting woods off the deck, so I figure a 2 iron would be a nice addition for shots 210+.

I was just curious to see how many people use them.

I've used 1 iron on and off. Have a look at the Callaway BB. My friend has the BB 1 iron and it is so easy to hit, it's scary.

Buddha,

I don't have one anymore. I used to have a 2 with my old Bertha'a but didn't get one with the new Mizunos. I don't think there's an easier club to hit on the planet than Big Bertha's and I still found the 2 iron a bit of a challenge. I do plan to demo the Hogan hybrids again. I've only had a chance to hit them once and really liked them. If I do get one it will be to replace my 5 wood for the reason you mention. I just don't like hitting woods from the fairway. Could just be my swing, but I'd rather blame the equipment. :golf:

With my 03 Bertha's, i had a two iron. It was sweet. The long irons in the BB set are so forgiving, it's not even funny. It was good up to 230 yards, but I found that if I ever had to hit it into the wind, it would sometimes balloon.

I bought a Steelhead III 7 wood and haven't looked back. This club could single handedly be the most important in my bag. I can knock it down to 180, or hit a sky high ball 235 that sticks like glue.

Maybe check out a 7 wood. Looks sorta lame in your bag, but if anyone asks, just say "Vijay recommends it". :thumbup:

R35

-Want mine? It's gonna be winter tommorrow here. Frick!

2 iron or not to iron

My vote goes for the hybrid iron--there are a ton of good ones out there--rather than the 7 wood, though 7 woods are nifty. I have a fetish for fairway woods, but like Goldilocks, I never seem to find fairways that are the right consistency for me. That's why I favor "rescue"-type hybrids; from too-soft lies or from too-hard lies, the super-low center of gravity and heavy mass of a hybrid just smokes the ball. I am FAR from the biggest hitter in the world, but when I hit hybrids on the course or range, you can hear the ball sizzling 100 yards off the clubface. Just don't get that kind of smoke with the fairway woods, even the heavenly 7. Now, if I ever find fairways that are not-too-soft and not-too-hard, just right, I'll carry an assortment of 1 and 2 irons. They're definitely manly.

Let me tell you about the A-B-C-D scramble one time where on the 16th hole, I hit a 1-iron two feet from the flag.... [to be continued]. :028:

I picked up an old Ping 1 iron at the beginning of the summer. I too, don't like woods off the fairway, but the 1 iron is perfect for 200-215 yds. Plus, when the Driver goes south as it often does, I can keep the 1 iron fairly straight off the tee to the tune of about 220-230.

i've never hit a 2 iron before at all, i tried my friend's 1 iron a couple of times but couldn't hit it. I love my 7 wood, i had thought of buying an 18 degree driving iron, (not an iron, not a hybrid) but me and long irons don't get along that well, maybe my ta1 3 iron will be sweet, and i can do some club shifting, best way is to demo one during a round and see how it plays into your course management

A 7 wood is a great tool and lifesaver. It's the go-to-club for anything between 190-210 yards, and so easy to hit.

BTW, just for confirmation, I have my Callaway Heaven Wood. It's a 7, right?

Thanks for the perspective, guys.

Like I said, I'm not much for hitting a wood off the turf so I definitely want to go with an iron. I'm a traditionalist, so the hybrids don't really appeal to me either. There are several TA5 2-irons on ebay to match my other irons. I'll probably try to gobble one of those up ($20 new ain't bad).

Buddha,

For that price, you can't lose.

But, when you start hitting balloon slices with the 2 iron, try out a Steelhead III fairway wood. :p

They truly are the easiest fairway woods to use. They pick the ball off the deck perfectly and the ball hammers off the face. And ball control is terrific.

I loved my 2 iron with my BB set. But, after using it and now the 7 wood, there's really no choice.

Just my opinion tho.

R35

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424