• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

22* Driver Launch angle too high?

bluvVT

Moonball
Reaction score
I have been hitting my driver very VERY high lately and can't seem to get it any lower than 20-22* off the launch monitor. I am hitting the ball much farther, consistent,and straighter than I have in the last couple years. I have increased my clubhead speed from avg of 96-101 to 110-115 this season but have also increased my launch angle.

I am hitting a Ping G2 8.5* w/ Alida 65

I feel like if I could hit the ball lower, say around 14-17* I could get a lot more distance by increasing the roll. If I could get around 15-30 yrds of roll instead of hitting the moonball with only 5-10 yards roll after carry.

Any suggestions on shafts, heads, swing techniques?
Thanks,

B-luv

Sounds like your trying to hit your driver like your irons and hitting down and steep.

Yeah, with an 8.5º loft head, it sure sounds like a technique issue. How about some video?

You did say "lately." Does that mean you haven't always hit it that high? Maybe it's worth having the loft checked.

What's your backspin looking like?

And yes, that is 7-10 degrees higher than optimal.

I'll try to get a video sometime soon with my swing, I'll also try to go down to Dick's tonight after work (since I work in the mall where it's at) and get my ball speed and RPM's. I didn't used to hit the ball this high but I was hitting an old Callaway 8* Big Bertha from the late 90's with a normal or flex shaft(cant remember). I really just developed a repeating swing this spring-summer.

And no, I don't think I am hitting not hitting down on the ball. I tee it up very high in comparison to my friends and play it far forward in my stance. When I play the ball in the middle of my stance I get around a 20* launch angle vs. 21-22* front of stance.

I know balls will change spin rate dramatically but what would think should be a good average for driver?

Sounds to me like your hands are behind the clubhead at impact...Perhaps urleft wrist is bent forward a little bit at impact or soomething....Sounds for sure though that your hitting upward as opposed to level....Granting long drive chamos hit upwards as well...yours may be severe...Just something you might wanna check...I'm no coach,But i know what a good swing looks like...and not from looking at myself..haha..You really should get a video or picture or something of your swing at impact...It would be very telling.

try a club with the same loft but a stuff shaft. that would decrease the launch angle.

I'd love to see your launch monitor stats.

22 degrees of launch with an 8 degree driver, even with tons of spin, would still require 8-12 degrees of positive loft, or upswing.

You need a 5 degree driver with a XX shaft. That'll fix you right up!

try swinging a club with a negative angle if you don'y wanna up the flex.

or a lead tape near the face, not the rear, with make the heel not sink so low during the swing, which might do a little good, but I'm not sure how much.

Try not to listen to all the "hit down on it" and "swing level" mumbo jumbo.

Hitting the ball with an upward angle of attack is EXACTLY how you maximize driving numbers. Not far in the future, maybe 5, maybe 10 years EVERY pro coming into the game will have two swings. Driver, then everything else.

They will maximize their distance ala the Long Drive folks with a severe upward angle of attack, then also be acute with their wedges and irons.

It does sound like you are flipping into the ball to get that kind of launch angle with an 8.5* club. How far are the drives going? How stiff is that Aldila?

Anyway with a 113 avg swingspeed, and obviously and upward AofA, you should be able to just murder the ball. Maybe the ball is a touch too far forward causing a flip. Maybe move it back a bit. Maybe tee it a touch lower. You still want to swing "through the ball" not "at the ball".

If you don't plan on changing anything, then what Clugnut says is about right. Get yourself a (verified) 6 or 7* driver head with an X-stiff shaft (or stiffer) and hit some bombs.

Okay, your hitting the ball wayyy too high. Although with todays equipment my 14* looks way too high for me. Since you were vectored at 113mph, I'd say you closer to 105. no disrespect intended but most LM do lie on speed, and us golf pros and salesman can honestly say its not by accident. If you can find a trackman or something like that, It'd be accurate. For instance I am 120 or so on a Dicks vector but only 110-115 on a Bstone trackman. Im guessing your 105 or so, which should be 14-17* LA for optimum carry. I'd say your hitting down on the ball, even though you do not believe it Its really the only thing that can make that kind of LA. The only real other explination is the shaft is much too weak for you, and snapping up to you. Ive hit R flex drivers and got over 25* LA. Try a low launch shaft (Prolaunch Red, Aldila NV, Graff blue (contrary to them classifying it to Mid launch)) You can find these shafts for under $25 bucks no problem. Then again, go to a reputable club maker and have him check your driver. You may find what you think your playing is way off. I had a Tour Burner TP I got from TM that speced out as 10.8* and a R flex shaft. I had a 8.5 with an X flex Rombax. You may just be playing a 11* driver with Ladies flex shaft.

Also, with what Augster said. If you really are an exception to the rule, get your ass to a club fitter and make him make you a bomb driver. Most players that shoot in the 80's, which is respectable but not a great standing do NOT hit the ball even 270. You'd be suprised what it does take to knock the ball out there. I am completely fitting for optimum conditions by Taylormade and I only probably average 270-280. Most of these guys I have played with that think they hit the ball even as long as 290 on a good drive will be outdriven by 40 yards regularly.

PS- Appologize for drug and alchohol induced posts.

I'll try to borrow my cousins camera and take some high res video clips of that ugly thing known as my swing.

Granted Im strapped for funds right now because Im moving into a new house and paying rent at another place for this month, and taking a week vacation in a few weeks but where would be a good place to get fitted for a driver?

You are in Virginia right?

There are a LOT of fitters in VA. Check them out via Wishon's website. Give them a call and see what LM they are using and ask them if they can optimally fit you for a driver.

Tom Wishon Golf Technology

Just a note, many of the better clubmakers could fit you without the launch monitor. Myself though, I would prefer hard numbers including launch angle and spin.

Driver fitting is a science. Ball speed/Launch Angle/Spin. Those three parameters need to be optimized. The fitter builds a club with a shaft, clubhead loft, and ball type to hit those optimum numbers.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520