• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3 wood vs. 2 hybrid

trumb1mj

Reaction score
I was at golfsmith today and I was hitting a ping rapture hybrid (2 - 18*). The thing is absolutely nuclear. I was hitting it like 230-255 consistently right on the target line. It was a much better ball flight than my 3 wood.

Has anyone taken their 3 wood out for a hybrid?

I know somebody that has, and I think some people on here have, but not for a 2 hybrid. One of my friends goes from driver to 16* hybrid to 2 iron.

i sucked with fairway woods.....picked up a 14* Callaway Heavenwood and love it.

Well I don't use a FW and I have a Fairway wood. So I kinda do.

Even a 16* hybrid did not give me the same distance as a 17* 5w. My intent a couple years ago was to replace my FW's with hybrids. It was just not an option, and even a 16* hybrid was shorter and just not as dependable as the 5w IMO.

Do a couple searches on here for more info, but in short my experience is that a similar lofted hybrid plays about 2* shorter than a same lofted FW. Plus it is darn near impossible to find any below 18* to demo, which likely supports my thought that when you get below 18* they are just not as easy to hit as a FW. I no longer will even carry a 3w, but I would likely have to play a 12* hybrid to get the same distance as my last 3w. That thought alone is enough to kill off any thoriught of trying to replace a 3w with a hybrid

Even a 16* hybrid did not give me the same distance as a 17* 5w. My intent a couple years ago was to replace my FW's with hybrids. It was just not an option, and even a 16* hybrid was shorter and just not as dependable as the 5w IMO.

Do a couple searches on here for more info, but in short my experience is that a similar lofted hybrid plays about 2* shorter than a same lofted FW. Plus it is darn near impossible to find any below 18* to demo, which likely supports my thought that when you get below 18* they are just not as easy to hit as a FW. I no longer will even carry a 3w, but I would likely have to play a 12* hybrid to get the same distance as my last 3w. That thought alone is enough to kill off any thoriught of trying to replace a 3w with a hybrid

I had the same experience. My original plan was to go from Driver to 15* 3w to 21* hybrid which replaced my 2/3 irons. Didn't work out that well though, the 21* hybrid carried about as well as my 5 iron, part of that was the shaft though. I agree with Jayhawk, you will find I believe that Hybrids as a rule as a little shorter than a same lofted FW wood. I now have a setup I think should work well, Driver, 17.5* FW and 21* hybrid with a different shaft...we shall see

I just recently put a 5W back into the bag after several attempts to replace it with a hybrid. What I came to realize is that once a shaft got over 40" the flatter swing plane just didn't work well with a hybrid (for me).

I just recently put a 5W back into the bag after several attempts to replace it with a hybrid. What I came to realize is that once a shaft got over 40" the flatter swing plane just didn't work well with a hybrid (for me).

You should not swing a hybrid like a fw. Swing it like an iron, you will like it much better.

I agree with Jayhawk, you will find I believe that Hybrids as a rule as a little shorter than a same lofted FW wood.

Thirded - from my experience a hybrid always plays one club shorter than a fairway wood of the same length. So My 19* Cleveland Halo played around the same distance as my 22* 7w, and I needed to drop all the way to a 14* hybrid to get anything like the distance of the old 5w I used to have in the bag.

For me I also found that the increased shaft length in hybrids over 19/20* made it much harder to hit with an iron swing, so I just went back to fairway woods for that degree of loft and they work fine.

You should not swing a hybrid like a fw. Swing it like an iron, you will like it much better.

Exactly, that's the root of the poblem.

I love hybrids and have carried them for years. I currently have two Sonartec MDs, 21* and 23*, that I wouldn't trade for anything. The descending blow gets tough for me to do consistently when the length gets over 40" though. I naturally start to flatten my swing plane and so I have found that I do much better fairway woods in those spots.

I play a 15* 3 wood and a 18* hybrid and its a perfect gap. I don't think you should be hitting a 18* hybrid as far as a 3 wood unless your current 3 wood sucks.

zaphod did exactly that. He's hitting his hybrid just as far and straighter then his 3-wood. And he's a super good golfer. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520