• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

300 yard marker

Many of the courses that i play around the Carolinas have 250 yardage markers on par 5's and the super long par 4's. i mean it tells me whether or not to go for the green on a par 5

I play in the Carolinas as well and there are alot of courses that have 250 markers. They are mostly yellow and they are in the fairway and on the cart path.

My home course does yardages on sprinkler heads up to about 310.

With all the equipment these days I think courses are probably going away from putting a ton of markers on ground. It is just as easy to put a gps in the carts. Of course that doesn't help when walking.

I never thought about what an eyesore a bunch more markers would look like....

I like the sprinkler head idea, and it makes me wonder if the Pro Shop would already have a reference guide for the sprinkler heads already??

This one guy showed me a skycaddie the other day with a color screen that was about the size of a gps.... It was expensive no doubt.....

I wonder if the I phone GPS function could store a golf course and plot your own.....???

Yep... here in Colorado most courses have 250 yard plaques where needed. My home course also has a couple of markers denoting the carry needed to clear certain bunkers. One in the fairway of a par 5 hole that says 225 yards to carry a cross bunker, then about 25 yards farther is the 250 yard marker to the center of the green, basically saying that you are 275 out, so forget it. On the 18th (long par 4) tee is a marker indicating that it's a 240 yard carry from that point to clear a fairway bunker on the inside of the dogleg... nice risk reward opportunity. If you clear the bunker you'll be in the fairway about 100-130 yards out... hit the bunker and you'll have a 160 yard shot, probably from a crooked lie, maybe blocked by the lip.

I've seen markers on some courses at 275 yards, but all they are there for is to tell you that you are too far out to reach the green, so just hit it and don't be stupid. :rolleyes:

I for one, dont need 300 yard markers.

if I was 300 hundred yards out, I would hit 3 wood then pw into the green:D

My home course does yardages on sprinkler heads up to about 310.

With all the equipment these days I think courses are probably going away from putting a ton of markers on ground. It is just as easy to put a gps in the carts. Of course that doesn't help when walking.

To what end? I don't think GPS is accurate enough to be useful. The course I played last night has GPS carts, and they were just wrong several times. I'm pretty sure they were having trouble getting their updates, because frequently, we'd be parked in the fairway and our distance would suddenly drop by 20 yards. On a 480y par 5, I hit a real good 3w off the tee, but according to the cart, it went 190. Unlikely, but okay. Now I had 290 in, and I hit another good 3w... it wound up 10 yards short, and woke up the foursome in front of me. No way, no how, those two shots were 90 yards different.

At least sprinkler heads don't move. Most courses here have all of them marked, even if that means it says four hundred odd yards.

The red blue and white stakes are nice in the sense that you can see them no matter where you are.

Sometimes it can be a pain in the ass to try and find a sprinkler head

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422