• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

a golfers perspective

When faced with a wedge shot just off the green do you...

• Total voters

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently read golfing statistic that surprised me. It stated that 90% of golfers aim at the hole on pitch and chip shots around the green. So most golfers aim at where they want the ball to finish. The other 10% aim at a spot where they want to land the ball before it rolls out. I'm part of the 10%. How about you guys?

I offer a corollary statistic:

90% of golfers hit horrible pitch/chip shots.
10% of golfers end up with a short putt.

Even if you're "aiming" at the hole, you're going WAY past it unless you're subconsciouslly planning for the release when you set up your shot. Aiming at the landing zone instead just simplifies the process for your brain.

90% of golfers get up and down 10% of the time, if they're aiming at the hole on their chips/pitches. And that 10% is lucky putting.

I suppose if I were chipping with a 6 iron off the fringe it would be more beneficial to play it like a putt and think target, instead of a spot a foot in front of you.

If you're chipping with a 6-iron, you've got more to worry about than where you should be looking! Perhaps water-polo is more your speed ;)

You can show me your 6-iron chipping prowess on TW12 on XBOX360! What ever happened to that? I haven't played in months

I don't know about you SUX, but I can (and do) chip with just about evey club in my bag.

Our course has "postage stamp" greens. My GIR is pretty low. However, I score well due to my chipping. I've chipped in from off the green twice in the past week. That is NOT accomplished by aiming at the hole!!!!

I'm one who will chip with one of 3 clubs... PW (50 degree), SW (54 degree), or LW (58 degree). Uphill chip w/plenty of green... PW. Short-sided with no green or downhill chip... LW. Most everything else... SW. I will also manipulate the wedges from closed and toe down to open.

Chipping is what keeps the game "fair" for us old guys who need to compete with the young flat-bellies!! :>)

You can show me your 6-iron chipping prowess on TW12 on XBOX360! What ever happened to that? I haven't played in months

I'm on all the time. Shoot me an invite. I changed my GT to Nenwod (dont ask why, lol)

As far as the bump and run, a lot of people play that shot. I don't...but if I do, it's because I have to belly a wedge out of a bad lie. I'm just not as confident in my feel to pull off a 6i chip shot as well as my go-to shot. I'll putt from the fringe.

Point is, I think it makes more sense to think target, for the people that do chip with low lofted clubs.

Chipping is what keeps the game "fair" for us old guys who need to compete with the young flat-bellies!! :>)

Chipping is the only reason I(a flat belly) can shoot close to par on a regular basis. That and course management...because I suck with a driver and woods. I'm pretty long, but I'm all over the map. That's why buddies call me the lay up king.

Chipping is the only reason I(a flat belly) can shoot close to par on a regular basis. That and course management...because I suck with a driver and woods. I'm pretty long, but I'm all over the map. That's why buddies call me the lay up king.
We've got a regular at our course who is a stone mason by trade. He has spent years lifting and laying block and brick. He's tall and slender and, man, can he stripe a ball. I've seen him shoot in the upper 60's. I've also seen him shoot in the mid 80's. Played a round with him this week and my 80 beat his 82. He says he's "lost his finesse zone". A long par 4 found me 150+/- out and him 60 yards out. I par the hole and he bogeys it. He skulled a wedge across the green, missed his chip back and left himself a 2-putt for bogey. I was sitting on the fringe in two and 2-putted for a routine par. That's how the day went. I don't know that he missed a fairway by much. He was looonnng all day. There is no reason he shouldn't have been 5 or 6 under. Yet, he just couldn't chip and it cost him big time.
When he's on... he's deadly. When his "finess zone" give him trouble... he can be pretty easy pickin's.

It's funny how a part of the game (chipping / putting) is the easiest (and cheapest) to practice, but gets the least amount of attention by most golfers.

i'll be honest - if i had to chip around the green i'll be dead!! i prefer the bump and run, and it is working fine for me, i usuall get it to 2-3 foot form the pin for one putt. i don't aim for the flag but rather where it should start it's run towards the hole. manage to hole a 35m "chip"/bump and run with my last round!!!:D

Conventional teaching suggests getting the ball on the ground as fast as one can. I only do that if I can putt from off the green.

If I can't, I'd rather airmail the ball.

Three secrets only.

Obviously, one must keep his hands in front of the contact not to close the face before or during impact.

Two, very low bounce is a must if you're playing a parachute ball from forward in your stance and have a tight lie. I'm a low or no bounce guy.

Three, flagrantly non-conforming grooves, even to 2009 standards, are a must. If you're not shredding covers with your pitch shots, you're putting yourself at a big disadvantage to those of us who are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520