• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A review of my experience with the Tour Striker

I don't know what this thread is about.....

well, with default settings, it's about 4 pages so far....

Update:

Worked w/ TS on Thursday & Friday, Played 18 holes on Saturday. Shot (-1) thru the first 9 holes and was at even thru 13....That is the best 13 hole stretch I have ever had. I was not hitting the ball great but got up & down very well when I need to. Only hit 5 greens in regulation thru 13 but putted great and chipped really well. Ended up with a 77 because of a double on 14(easiest hole on the course). Is the TS working....Still not sure but my chipping & putting really worked this weekend. Got rained out today so no work w/ TS today.......

Here is what I do to get the feel of lagging the clubhead.

First. I look at the front of the ball with irons... This promotes hitting ball first, and divots forward of the golf ball.

Second. I try to feel as though the grip of the club gets to the ball first.
I have no feeling of wrist action prior to hitting the ball. I only feel my wrists release post impact.

Rarely every do I hit the ball fat. I will catch it thin on occasion... which are still pretty good misses.

Thinking of getting a TS to to verify what I'm doing is correct. Would be a fun range club to have.

Augster - how did your tourneys go?

Augster - how did your tourneys go?

VTD, I replied a few days ago with a long-winded (surprise :)) explanation that seems to have been lost into the interether.

Here is a shorter version.

Since my last post, I've only had one range session with the TS, and it was a good session. The heat and lack of time to get out has killed my practice with it. Anyway...

First tourney, 2 days, 18 Sat, 27 Sunday. Shot a terrible 77 and was 10 back but was only tied for 10th as most folks shot 75-78. Pays 20 spots. I shot 3-over on the first 9 Sunday, then was 1-over on the second 9 through 5, so 4 over for the day and figured I was moving up the leader board as the 2nd nine is TOUGH.

Got to the easiest hole on the course, the 15th, and lost my swing. It just disappeared. Nerves? No idea. Push slices into the woods. DEEP into the woods. I never got it back. Finished with 80 on the first 18, then went to a wide-open 3rd nine and shot 47 to safely knock myself out of the money. No idea what happened.

2nd Tourney is a local small-town "major" on the town's crappy, short, pasture of a 9-holer. 18-hole qualifier Sat, then low 16 scores make champ flight and it's 9-hole match play all day Sunday. There were only 33 folks in this year, and me and my friends are the best players that show up.

I beat my friend, who is scratch, and shot 1-under on Saturday for medalist. I was the 2-seed as the returning champ gets the 1-seed. Beat my first guy Sunday 2&1. Shot 1-over on those holes. Beat my second guy 3&2, shot 1-over on those holes.

Then I had to play my friend, who is the odds-on favorite every year and I've never beat him in any of our matches when we end up head to head in this. He drives the green on 1, I don't. He two-putts for birdie, I miss my 8 footer. He drives the green on 2, I don't make birdie, I'm 2-down.

I had my opportunities later in the match, but he was 3-under through 5 and I was still only 2-down, being even par through 5. He beat me 2&1. I went to the next match, won 2&1, shooting 1-over again, and took 3rd place.

Now that the kids are in school, I hope to have the energy to get out and practice with the TS. But the course is so empty, I just want to get in 18 every day.

I still don't contact the ball first consistently enough. Like never really. I need to get working with it again and figure it out.

My game has had a turn for the worst since the TS. I am hitting the ball longer & I am hitting down on the ball now but I am wild to the left and can't fix it during a round. Example the last 2 times out, shot +3 over my first 12 holes then got a case of the lefts(Not hooks) just hit the ball straight & beautiful but dead left, ended up with +7 on my last 6 holes. The round before that I shot (-1) Thur 9 holes and the same thing happened. Ended up (+10) on the back. Again case of the lefts....I has to be the TS. The good things so far hitting the ball +10 yards with every club & about +30-50 w/ the driver. I have actually hit a couple of 300+ yard drives and I am not a long hitter. Also with my 3 wood(240 on average, as long as 270) and 2 Iron (hitting about 220). I carry 5 wedges in my bag 60* = 70 yards, 58* = 75-85 yrds, SW = 95-105 yards, AW = 105-115, PW = 115-125, 9I is now 135 yds. I am going to keep working with it because it does seem to have me shooting my best scores in 9 holes but sooner or later it will all come together for 18 holes. This is going to be an off week because I am not going to be able to hit the range but starting next week I will get out 3 times a week and work on my issues going Left w/ the TS.

BTW: I do understand going though a swing change this are not going to go perfectly but I have seen perfection especially this week going +3 through 12. I had great shots into greens, had 4 lips outs 3 for birds and 1 for a par save. Could of been -1 though 12 holes and that by far would of been the best I have ever had. Still need to work out what is making me go dead left.

Still need to work out what is making me go dead left.

It sounds like nerves to me. From your writing, it isn't a coincidence that the "lefts" don't start until you are into a round and scoring well.

Develop a sound pre-shot routine to help curb this. Also, don't be so results-based. It is a cliche, but it is also the truth. Take it one shot at a time. Focus your energy on each and every shot and never get ahead of yourself.

I have though about that but it also happens to me on the driving range. I usually start off by hitting 10-20 shots with the TS. I will hit 5 bad shots,5 so-so shots and about 7-10 great shots w/ the TS. Ok then I move on to a LW/SW/AW or PW, hit about 3-6 shots with that all with my pre-shot routine. If I hit 2-3 shot's just the way I want I move on to the next club. Then I do a mid range Iron 8-7-or 6, same thing 3-6 shot's. Then I move on to the 3 wood and Driver. Most of the time I will go through all that and be ok. From the Driver I will start back to a wedge and that is where I get a case of the Lefts. I know what I am doing wrong, which is rotating my wrist to early but I can't stop it. I am going to stop my a golf Pro today and maybe he can check me out and see if I am doing anything wrong. I do have a pre-shot routine and I stick w/ it no matter what is happening. Lets see what he see's on his video, and see if the TS has given me a bad habit or something.

Augster, I have developed a very bad flip with my irons over the years. In fact my very best rounds (sub75) have occured when I cheat the best. Meaning when I take no divot at all and catch it on the upswing. Needless to say I follow those rounds with upper 80's or worse. I have never played iron shots with my hands fwd. at impact even though I know it's right. Could you elaborate more on the positions or thoughts that get you to that feeling? You mentioned something about leading with your left hand. Could you explain in greater detail?

Here's an update on my work with the Tour Striker.

As in my post from 8/6, I have totally lost my swing. I can't hit the TS, let alone a cavity-back or driver. My last 5 or 6 rounds I have embarrassed myself with 78 being my best. Ish."

Ok...I read these posts and sometimes wonder how can you all call a 78 a terrible score... What do you mean by "I totally lost my swing....I can't hit a cavity-back or driver" and still manage a 78?
I can count with my right hand how many times I have broken 90. There is another member who started playing less than 5 years ago and he is already a 6 handicap...
You guys for real?

Well, after reading a few too many post on different forums I went ahead and bought the Tour Striker (standard mortal type steel 8 iron). It should be with me tomorrow. I will post on my experience with it.

I've been using the Tour Striker Pro to warm up at the range, then I start hitting balls with my 7 iron. Seems to be helping my iron shots.

Now if they would only make a Tour Striker driver...........

Ok. Just got the thing... Pretty intimidating, I must say. I don't know how I'm suppose to hit a clubface up there. Sure as hell I'm gonna try...
Will keep you posted....

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422