• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advice on building Grandson's 1st golf club

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Reaction score
Ok, here is the deal. My grandson is walking now. Therefore its time to build him a golf club, right? :D

Here is what I'm thinking, any driver is going to be way to big and bulky, but all the 3 wood heads weigh as much or more than the driver heads. Are womens 3 woods lighter? Can I drill through the hosel and remove all the glue inside a head to lighten it? Any suggestions?

What about the shaft? Should I use a low kick point ladies flex and massively butt trim it to length?

I'm not looking to make him anything to be a long term club, just something for him to go down to the driving range maybe by the end of the summer and "just knock the 'ell out of it Bobby", or in this case, Coop.
006.jpg

My son is 2 and he has had metal clubs since he was about 15 months old. We bought him some U.S. Kids Golf stage 1 clubs and they work great. The set came with a 21* wood, 7I, putter and stand bag. The shafts are real thin and light. Can't remember what we paid for them though. My son left the 7i in the driveway and my sister ran over it and I had to replace it. We bought a Maxfli stage 1, 6i and a PW, and shafts are a lot bigger and heavier. They are fine for him now but a year ago they probably would've been too heavy.

I think you are thinking too much about this. A stick with a rock on the end would work fine. At that age it is all about learning to keep your head down and body quiet so you can make contact with the ball and not miss it.

I got clubs in the 4 to 5 year old range. They were standard full-sized clubs just cut to length and I turned out ok. 5 iron was the first one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520

3. 15,300