• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ahhh, thats what it means to hit down on the ball!

definately dont practice on mats.. as ez said, if i practice my irons on mats, i find my swing gets very shallow, and i blade or thin the ball in my realy rounds.. and the mats hide all your faults with the irons.. if you have a tendency to hit it fat you wont notice as much.

the thing with the mats is i dont know if im not really doing my regular swing. If i usually took a divot, i couldnt because the matt would stop me. But the grass is like not fairway its like rough, i may just sometimes go to the other range that has better grass.

i came of 9 hole a while back having struck really bad irons - and i was really ticked off, so i hit their range straight away, off mats. Well - i was hitting nice high draws with every club for the whole bucket, which is odd - as i play a fade, and thinking - WOW - i've cracked this golf lark...

poor deluded me.

NEVER EVER hit irons off mats. period.

You can get away with hitting woods and hybrids off mats maybe....but again only to practice a sweeping action.

But for true, "hit down", take a divot, watch that sucker fly effortlessly....you gotta go to the real stuff.

-DVS

any drills for hitting down on the ball

I've definitely learned to pick the ball off of the ground thanks to the mats at driving ranges. I want to learn to hit down on the ball more because I get the feeling I'm making the game harder than it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions for drills to reinforce striking down on the ball off a mat? I've tried teeing it up slightly. The bulk of the ranges around where I live just have mats.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520