• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another PREMIUM golf ball poll

Best Premium Ball

• Titleist ProV1 and 1x

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Callaway HX Tour and Tour 56

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Nike One Black and Platinum

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Srixon Z-UR and Zur-S

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Bridgestone B-330 & B-330 S

• TaylorMade Red and Black

• Other

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Pro V1 is still the only ball I've found that has the same (or very close) soft putting feel as the Titleist Tour Balata that I played back in the late 80's and early 90's. That makes a bigger difference to me than any other consideration. Most balls, including the HX Tour, make that plastic "click", while the Pro V sounds more like "putt". :D

I only wish I could afford to use them all the time....:(

Never paid much attention to that but I could see where that might enter in to your decision. Of course back then I never played balata balls because they went out-of-round so easily and cut easily (I wasn't very good). :)

Strata Tour all the way, :D

Either Callaway HX Tour or Titleist Pro V pour moi. Wouldn't really entertain using anything else. A Scratch handicapper at my club told me a couple of years ago that I shouldn't have anything else but Pro V 1 golf balls in my bag when I used something else one time (probably to beat him, too ! :D). Now the same guy is using Maxfli Revolutions, ffs ! :rolleye: He does get them for a quid (1 dollar 90c) a ball, brand new, but I would still be prepared to pay more for a better, more up to date golf ball model.

If asked for one ball to play with I would state the Pro V1x. I like the fact that it spins less as I spin the ball something shocking. I like the more penetrating flight characteristics it gives in the wind, too.

IMO, all the Premium golf balls perform very similarly indeed, but it is the fact that the Pro V1 holds up the best is what seperates it from the rest, imo....

The Pro V1 is still the only ball I've found that has the same (or very close) soft putting feel as the Titleist Tour Balata that I played back in the late 80's and early 90's. That makes a bigger difference to me than any other consideration. Most balls, including the HX Tour, make that plastic "click", while the Pro V sounds more like "putt". :D

I only wish I could afford to use them all the time....:(
The Tour Balata spins like you won't believe on half shots! I found one this year and I couldn't believe my eyes, well more than ProV or any ball for that matter

I do my best to pick up Prov1's cheap. Used is fine with me. I like the 392 better than the X though. I just have better results with a Prov1, how much is real and how much is in my head? Not sure. I've actually had my best scores using an HVC soft-feel. Go figure.

i like the HX tour 56 , one black, and blackmax (best value)
i can vouch for srikons too. very solid all around ball

The Tour Balata spins like you won't believe on half shots! I found one this year and I couldn't believe my eyes, well more than ProV or any ball for that matter

My first Ace was made with a Tour Balata. The ball hit about 10 feet past the hole and slightly left, spun straight back in like there was a rubber band attached... :)

They did have serious durability issues though... at $24 a dozen, they were still fairly pricey too when you could only play a maximum of about 9 holes per ball. The Pros only played an average of about 3 holes per ball.

$24 ?!? Geez, you were lucky.......!

I started with the Pro-V1 and then went to the x....

Later, I tried the Callaway's but couldn't get them to hold the greens like the Titleist...so back I went.

I should preface by admitting that I swap and change balls all the time, and there's nothing I like more than starting a round with a brand new sleeve of untried golf balls just to see what they're going to be like.

I had to vote Nike One Platinum simply because they seem the best all-rounder for my game - go pretty straight and long off my driver and woods, feel nice off my hybrids and mid-irons, great off my short irons and were the first ball I ever had the experience of hitting a wedge onto the green and seeing it stop dead on the spot with! Whenever I want to play a round for a serious score, this is the ball I stick with.

Love the Pro V1's with everything from my 7i down, but can send them sideways with anything longer. Conversely I love the Pro V1x's off my driver, woods and hybrids, and they go as long as anything I've tried, but always overhit my approach shots on them.

HX Tours always seem great balls, and for some reason I love the B-330s from Bridegstone, which seems unspectacular in their performance but seem to do everything so well without you noticing it. Didn't spot much difference with Tour 56s though, which surprised me.

Tried the TaylorMades but didn't think they were much better than anything else out there, although I bought a couple more sleeves for the bag just to give another go to. Didn't get on with the Nike One Black's either, or the Black Max's.

Just bought a sleeve of Srixon ZUR-S which I'm looking forward to going out and hitting in the New Year!

I played with a titleist pro v1 for the first time this past weekend (found it in the woods, but it was in almost new condition).

Not sure if I was playing exceptionally well that day or if it really was the ball but I shot my lowest round to date (95, previous was 99).

On approach shots with my lob wedge, I couldn't believe how well I was hitting the ball, it would bounce on the green and die. I guess it could be becuase I was using a lob wedge.

I think they are great balls. my boss gave me a sleeve of Callaway HX Tour 56's and I have a sleeve of Nike One Platinum sitting at home, I will be trying both this weekend.

But so far, I like the Pro v1.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427