• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball position - putting

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two questions.

(1) Where does everyone prefer to position their ball while putting?

(2) Do any of you change the position of the ball if the lie changes (up-hill/down-hill putts)?

I've always putted with the ball dead center in my stance, no matter the lie. For the record, I do not consider myself a good putter. Also, I had more than one person tell me that my ball was hopping/skidding off the club face this year. I don't notice it myself, but I always try to keep my head really still, so I'm not really watching the ball after I hit it.

I've been putting indoors a lot lately and I need some direction...something to work on.

I try to have the ball just slightly... a ball width... forward of center. So much of ball placement will depend on your own putting stance, the loft of your putter, etc.

If you are practice putting at home, use one of the dual colored balls or a ball with a stipe around the equator. I believe you will notice different roll patterns, depending on ball placement. See where the line rolls the truest, with no wobble, and stick with that placement.

I'm ready to try the "yardstick" test. They say you can take a yardstick, place the ball at the 1" mark and try to putt it true enough to where it rolls off the end of the stick. I read where you will begin and the ball will roll off at much shorter distances. If you can get your stroke true enough to roll it the entire 3 feet without it leaving the yardstick, that should make short putts a breeze!!

I play it off my left big toe (right handed), each and every time. I have tried playing it in the middle and found I manipulated my hands to much and the ball tended to...skid.

I play it off my left big toe (right handed), each and every time. I have tried playing it in the middle and found I manipulated my hands to much and the ball tended to...skid.
This is basically what I do. I found out a long time ago that if I play off my front foot, and shift my weight slightly to that foot, I get a more solid stroke on the ball than playing from the center with evenly distributed weight.

I generally don't change this based on lie.

I also play it forward a bit. Not off of my toe, but a little bit. I also put a bit more weight on the front foot, maybe 60/40. I usually get a good roll. Now if I could just figure out a line...

I like the ball to be on the ground in front of the putter face.

Seriously, I play the ball in the middle of my stance, but I stand a little more open than most people.

I like the ball to be on the ground in front of the putter face.

Seriously, I play the ball in the middle of my stance, but I stand a little more open than most people.
I used to crouch real low over the ball, like Jack Nicklaus and that's when I started playing it off the front toe.

I don't crouch that low any more but still play it off my front foot, seem to get the best role.

I play in towards my front foot... basically where it is for all other clubs other than driver. Under my left pec.

Thanks for all the replys. I guess I need to move the ball up in my stance a smidge.

...or maybe I need a new putter. :D

You can ALWAYS buy a better game!!! Get the new putter!!:rolleyes:

I'm putting really well right now(indoors). Not sure if it's because I moved the ball forward in my stance or all the practice that I've put in, but I do prefer this new ball placement now. Thanks men.

I going to send my putter off for some mods soon. I hope I can keep this confidence when I don't have my baby for a month.

I play the ball towards my front foot, probably about equal to where I would play a 3 iron. I'm left eye dominant so this helps me align the putter more consistently. I also feel that it forces me to keep my head down just a little longer during the putting stroke.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520