• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

big improvement

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so if you've seen the equipment threads you know that i picked up some new irons a couple of weeks ago (adams idea hybrids). i also took my very fist lesson that very same day. well, after two weeks on the practice range i decided to take my new clubs and revised swing out onto the course yesterday.

i went into the day beaming with confidence. i truly felt that i had dialed in the changes the pro made to my swing. you see i use to struggle with my long irons and i depended a great deal on my driver and fairway woods to get the job done. i was excited because between the swing changes and the new hybrid long irons (which are freaking incredible btw) i knew that i was in for a great day. as it turns out, the changes that dialed in my irons killed my driver. worse yet, i refused to admit it on the front nine. :(

i decided to leave my driver (and ego) in my bag for the back nine and boy am i glad i did! while the damage was done early on, i did manage to save my round for the most part. in the process i found that this game is not that hard when you're sitting in the middle of the fairway off the tee. i discovered that i could consistently pop my new 3i-wood out about 180-190yds.

i also gained a ton of confidence beyond the 150yd marker. it use to be a crap shoot going for the pin beyond that range but not anymore, the new hybrid 3 and 4 irons allow me to really think i can get to the green when i'm sitting anywhere between 170 and 190. picking up those clubs and seeing a beautiful ball flight does wonders for ones confidence!

another confidence builder is looking down on a new odyssey white hot putter (#7). i two putted all day (that's the goal for bogey golfers, right?)with the exception of two 3 putts that were cancelled out by two 1 putts. honestly, i think i'm better off missing the greens sometimes because chipping and 1 putting is a lot easier than trying to lag a long arse putt close.

in the end, the day was a huge success. while i still hit my fair share of bad shots, my good shots were really good and, more importantly, are a lot more frequent. i know that i'm definitely headed in the right direction! i almost felt like a real golfer! ;)

ps. Bravo, i now finally get why you preach lessons so strongly! i plan on lesson #2 being middle of next month.

Congrats, Chem.

Your game sounds a lot like mine. I've left the driver in the bag the last few months, instead using a 3 iron to put it about 200-210 in the fairway. I save at least 3-4 shots per round this way by reducing the OB penalty strokes.

I'm also in the process of taking lessons. It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you have a pro diagnosing the ills of your swing.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on the next lesson.

Speaking of which, what did the instructor have you working on?

Nice work Chem. You have a good head on your shoulders. Your pride swallowing step with the iron over the driver is stating alot. You're a better golfer already that 3/4's of the guys out there right now.

Keep up the good work. And keep us informed on the progress, good or bad.

That driver wil come with time. Trust me.

R35

the tweaks...

the changes:

strengthen my left hand - instead of my thumb pointing at the logo on the grip it now underlines it.

moved my hands forward - i use to keep my hands even with the ball at address and he moved them forward. i found this allows me to set my wrists sooner.

repointed my feet - i use to keep my feet square but he had me point my left (front) foot forward about 45 degrees. i found this created more torque in my front leg which helps me on the last tweak...

rotate the darn hips! - apparently my swing was all arms. i know it's not anymore because these tweaks have literally changed my club distance by two clubs!

oh yeah, i'm supposed to stop trying to pick the ball of the grass and hit down on it more.

you know, after reading this i'm beginning to think i needed A LOT more work than i thought! ;) i got a great pic of my new take away yesterday, i'll try to post that tonight.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520