• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clones vs. Brands (continued)

rick

Reaction score
I started a post back on 9-15 about how I was trying to figure out the difference between brand and clone clubs.

I finally got back to see what happened and I saw it turned into a big debate. I've asked the same question on other forums and it always seems to turn into the same argument.

It seems that talking about clones is getting to be like talking about religion and politics...tread carefully.

Anyway, just one last comment. I've researched the subject and talked to many people and saw many posts on other forums and the conclusion is...

Clones are probably not 100% as good as brand clubs in terms of quality...but the differences may not be discernable to all but the very best golfers. I'm a 5 handicap and tried out a lot of clubs and I can't tell the difference.

But you do need to buy from a good quality clone manufacturer. Someone with a good warranty and a return policy and good manufaturing QC. It would also be great if they did lie adjustments for free and got the club length right for my arm length.

I found someone that does all that online and you can get top quality shafts and grips and a 30 day try out/return policy. I didn't like the first shaft they sent so I sent it back and got a different one. Just had to pay for shipping. Try that with a name brand.

The new clubs are great. I think I got 95% of the quality of a brand for 30% of the price. Just my opinion though.

Well, I guess I just disagree. I mean, there are some very nice clone makers out there, but the workmanship and such just won't be the same, especially for forged clubs.

Now granted, it doesn't matter for most people, but at times it does. I mean, how many clones are there of blades? Even if there were, are the forged? And if so, how good and reliable are they?

Further, resale. When you want to upgrade, is someone going to pay a decent bit for clones? Some top tier manufacturer clubs don't hold resell well, but most do. Shoot Titleist 675s(currently they are on 695s) are selling like hotcakes for high prices. Same for any TaylorMade r7s, even the quads.

However, if you plan to play your clubs for at least 4 years and aren't a single digit or less handicap, it is a wise investment to simply buy some clones that you like, and like all over clubs, have hit.

I've got no problem with clones. I'll play anything as long at the name begins and ends with a "T", and they're made by Acushnet.:)

Play the clones if you'd like, then when you get beat you can blame it on the clubs.
icon10.gif

The way i look at it is Golf Clubs are an investment, i started playing a few months ago and done some research then went and bought some brand new Callaway BBs, they will serve me well for however long i want to use them and when i get new clubs i can sell them for a good price, yes it was a bit of money, and i guess i am lucky that i can afford things like this at 18 but i think it is worth it in the end.

I also think fake clubs are just a waste of money, if they dont have the technology then why even pay anything at all for them?

....Its like cars, four wheels and seat. It all personal preference.

It's like women, they all have a....:)

Are you trying to say that all women have a face because everyone knows that, even Rockford and he prefers sheep :D

Oh I know Rockford loves his sheep honeys, not that there is anything wrong with that...well yeah...yeah there is.

Anyway, yeah, the face can get the job done too, :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520