• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clothing Etiquette

I usually look at the cart girls to get a good indication of the ladies dress code.

(kidding) :)

i always wear shorts.nice shorts not cutoffs or swimtrunks.i do have one pair of $40 dokers shorts but most of them are $10-$15.i have one golf shirt Cutter-Buck that was $45 but its a S.U. NCAA Champions Shirt.mostly$10-$20 polos when im going to another course.

at my home course i`ll sometimes wear t-shirt or a Giant jersey(cooler times as they are all authentics and a little heavy for 85+ weather)whatever i feel comfortable in.i figure everyone already knows me so dressing up aint gonna fool them.they already think im Larry The Cable Guys twin so why dissapiont them.

jmac07 said:
Im not trying to impress anyone, i simply just always dress up. I dont shell out 100's of dollars on my clothing, i simply by nice things that are cheap- CLEARANCE! For a top name shirt made by a malaysian sweat shop isnt going to help me play better, but it will reduce the prejudice directed towards a 17 y/o kid. Atleast thats what i think, please share with me if you believe otherwise.

Two really good points. First, clearance buying, it's something to be had. I found a clearance and got 3 great pairs of khakis(well, one black pair), and 4 shirts for 100 dollars.

And yes, it will reduce prejudice, which there-in-lies the problem.

One thing I find funny is there is only two courses out here that say, "No denim." Now, bear in mind, these two courses are probably two of the worst courses for condition and upkeep that I've ever played. I find it funny, really, because my home course is an amazing course and only requires a collared shirt.

I don't really think they'd care what I came in as long as it was legally acceptable because they know me there(I golf there at least 3 times a week). Still, as a sign of respect, I always go with at least a collared shirt. And by jeans I don't mean the sort you find in Hot Topic, I just wear regular 'ol jeans, no bells, whistles, chains, and not baggy either.

I still don't think dressing up is part of the game, and almost completely disagree. I believe it being a gentlemen's game lies in performance, and more importantly, manners.

I won't wear jeans on a course. Too hot and for my generation, jeans were for rough work. If I play at my home course, an everyday polo and a pair of shorts are fine. If I'm invited to a private course or playing a pricey resort course, I'll pick a nicer shirt and shorts.
Except for a broke down muni in my area, no collar or denim means no play. I guess my problem is where to draw the line. I've played metro munis where half the guys on the course were wearing wife beaters and jeans. Not my idea of golf attire.

WMitch6 said:
I won't wear jeans on a course. Too hot and for my generation, jeans were for rough work. If I play at my home course, an everyday polo and a pair of shorts are fine. If I'm invited to a private course or playing a pricey resort course, I'll pick a nicer shirt and shorts.
Except for a broke down muni in my area, no collar or denim means no play. I guess my problem is where to draw the line. I've played metro munis where half the guys on the course were wearing wife beaters and jeans. Not my idea of golf attire.

Yeah I've seen guys show up in white t-shirts and mesh shorts. It's usually younger guys (15 or 16). The only rule is "No cutoffs." Luckily at my course most of the people that can afford to play, can afford to dress nicely too. So it works out alright.

Down here where I play no one really gets hung up with you wear. I turn to play generally in a tee shirt and jeans. A tournament I might throw on a tee with a collar but not always. Still wear the jeans though.

I get some strange looks occasionally at the range though. I'm a carpenter by trade and I go there after work every now and then. So I'm wearing jeans and shirts covered in glue, concrete and other assorted crap. Haven't shaved and there sawdust all through my hair then I start striping 8 irons down the middle. Then there's the guys next too me who actually look like they dressed up for the occasion shanking 3 woods and thinning the ^%$! out of there PW.

You want to judge me for my appearance fine, just don't expect me to care

I'm surprised by all this "judgment by appearance" talk!! Are egos that big or that fragile that this has to be brought up when simply talking about golf attire?!:confused:

When I go golfing I simply dress like a golfer ... you know, the ones you see on TV. You have everything from a Mark Calcavechia/Tim Herron stryle to a Tiger Woods/Mike Weir style. Go according to comfort and according to personal taste ... and forget about the rest of it!!

Canadriver said:
Go according to comfort and according to personal taste ... and forget about the rest of it!!

Thats all well and good, but having been raised and lived in chicago for about 30 years Georgia took some getting used to. Still get shivers when I remember seeing a huge guy on the ninth green in bib overalls, a tee shirt and a skoal cap. Will give him credit tho, seemed his golf shoes matched the bibs pretty well.

DouginGA said:
seemed his golf shoes matched the bibs pretty well.

converse, nike, or work boots?

I guess the whole thing I was getting at is the absurdity of a strict dress code, i.e. collared shirts and no denim.

Bottom line: I fix every divot(and more, I fix other peoples). I rake the sand traps, and not just run the rake, I use to rake with asphalt paving so it had to be flat, I do the same with bunkers and make it like it was before I got myself in it. I keep pace of play up, and I'm courteous to my partners. These things are worlds and worlds more important than your attire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520