• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Consumer Reports Golf Ball Review

Rockford35 said:
I think segregating the swing speeds would create a better picture of what a certain golfer would like rather than just painting the whole thing red with one brushstroke.

Sorry but I didn't disagree with you. Actually, I do agree that they should have published the different results.
But, unless there is some definitive test, those hypothesis will remain rumors and personal feelings about balls.
EDIT: actually they only did the test with 90 mph driver swing for the ratings...

Don said:
Truth is, according to all the Golf magazines I've read, 90 percent of golfers have a swing speed of less than 90. So who is this 90 MPH swing really for?

If you would like to include in your 90% of all golfers kids, beginners and newbies, old geezers and ladies who swing in the 60-70 mph range, the report sure wouldn't be accurate. But for serious amateur golfers, a 90 mph average swing speed seems like a good number.

Don said:
And they show all but one or two balls as having at least "GOOD" spin. And if you think the Pinnacle Gold has "good" spin, I have news for you, it doesn't. I have a box of them right here, and it says "straight flight" right on the box. That means low spin, not good spin. Who is it that thinks the Gold has GOOD spin? Not me. I want numbers, not circles and dots.

lol !
First, I also have some pinnacle gold and I can make them spin.
Second, the good spin might be misleading, but I see it as a 3 out of 5 scale. So you could replace the dots and circles with numbers after all :)
Unless you're talking rpm, and that's another story...

Don said:
And if all those golfers have a swing speed of less the 90 with a driver, you know their swing speed with an 8 iron will be below 75, not 90. Much less 110. I'm glad I didn't pay money for that issue of Consumer Reports.

In your reasoning, what good is this report if it doesn't include test for every swing speed imaginable? Like 60 mph, 61 mph, 62 mph and so forth up to 130...
And, I'd just like to point out that they used the 90-110 mph swing speed for the driver. They didn't mention what speed they used for the 8-iron...

Loop said:
Sorry but I didn't disagree with you. Actually, I do agree that they should have published the different results.
But, unless there is some definitive test, those hypothesis will remain rumors and personal feelings about balls.

Loop,

I must have interpreted what you wrote wrong. I re-read, my bad.

Personally, I love my balls, but I don't facy anyone elses next to my bag...:D

R35

I was only using war birds last summer and now this summer I wanted to hit something a little softer. I like the nike's that I picked up but I also picked up some wilson I wounds. Anyone give these a hit. They are a little to soft for my liking. It feels like one of those sponge practise balls coming off the end of my club.

I tried the Pinnacle Exceptions on a course this evening, and I'm fairly confident they have more feel and take on a little more spin than Maxfli Noodles or Revolutions. I also didn't notice any loss of distance, although it was a bit hard to judge because I was playing an unfamiliar course, and will get a better overall feel about the distance and feel compared to Maxflis when I play on my more regular course this coming weekend.

The Exception is, surprisingly, not a bad ball. Not the rock-hard Pinnacles you're used to. I've only played a round or two with a couple I found in the woods, but I liked them.

I just absolutely can't believe that those $14 a dozen Nike's outperformed my beloved V1x's. Or even performed on the same level.

Of course, they didn't do the big chart with 110MPH swing speed. Yet, the Nike Black was still tops.

I think they should have had to use the Check-Go on each of the balls. At least for the driver where you get to choose your lie. Random for the 8-iron tests is best.

Or at least line the "spine" of the V1x up on the driver test.

So I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a box of the Nike's for $15. :mad:

I will give them a shot next round. If I am out early enough, I'll play two balls, the Nike and the V1x and see how it performs head to head.

The Pinnacle Exception is made by the same company that makes Titlest balls and has the same dimple pattern as many of the current Titlest balls (I read that somehwere). That is why I tried them last year - as they are a bit cheaper than the DT Solos and NXT's.

I find I get good distance from them. I haven't quite harnessed my irons well enough to spin the ball so I can't comment on that. I like the feel I get from them on the greens as well. I switched to them in the middle of the season last year and I have stayed with them.

I'm still at a point where an expensive ball doesn't make sense for me (I still lose more than I want to), so I wanted a good ball at an affordable price. On the message boards this ball was always mentioned as a solid ball, especially for only $18 a dozen...

If I were to go back to a 2-piece ball, the Pinnacle exception would probably be the one I would play. I have found a few on the course and they are amazing for a 2-piece ball. Good distance and good feel.

Don't give up hope on playing a great ball for a great price. I started playing Strata's last year and got hooked on them. I have not payed more than $12.95 a dozen for them (some of them as low as $4.95 a dozen) and have supplied myself with a ton of them since they are no longer going to be produced. They added a full club length is distance to all of my clubs and the feel is absolutely amazing. I have about 11 dozen of these now which should last me a few years until I can find a replacement.

If your into Nike's, I have noticed that they will clear out their old stock at great prices as they update their 3-piece ball. I bought a couple of dozen CC's for $12 a dozen a few years ago, 2 dozen Tour Accuracy TW's for $19.99 a dozen when they launched the One ball, and when I visited Golfsmith last week they were closing out the old Nike One Black and Platinum for under $30 a dozen.

If your into Maxfli's, Revolutions can be had for a song these days. I have seen several places closing them out for under $20 a dozen.

Titleist never seems to discount their prices. Even when they changed the Pro V1's year or so ago you never really saw a good deal on the old models.

I just noticed Dick's is running last year's Pinnacle Exceptions at $12.50 a dozen. A good ball at a great price...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520