• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Customizing putter question

ezra76

Reaction score
I have that Tear Drop putter I just accquired. I really like the way it plays but would like to customize it a little. I plan to add a new grip for starters. If I take it down from 35 to 34.5 or 34.25 is there anything I will be changing in the playability I should consider? My other "idea" is to blue it up a little with a torch. It's all chrome now and rather boring looking. Will this hurt it, change anything? Also I want to take the paintfill out of the lettering, what is the best, easiest way to do this?

Ezra, when shortening a putter you will effect balance/swingweight a bit. The easiest solution is to add head weigth as down the shaft weighting will require a lot more weight than head weighting will require.

As for as you "bluing" idea, you may need to speak to the resident metalurgists to see how you will be affecting the head.

Paintfill can be removed with acetone and toothpicks. I beleive Rock had a good post on how he removed the paintfill from his Mizzys and if I recall correctly thats how he did it. No personal experience with this, yet, but I am planning on changing some colors on one of my sets of irons.

Thanks for the info. I always wondered what difference there was between simply gripping down on a club vs. actually shortening it. I grip my driver nearly an inch down as well as my putter.

I'm also interested in paint to use to fill in on clubs. I messed around with my R5TP and some sharpies. Changed yellow "dual" on the bottom from yellow to red, the "Taylormade" on the bottom from white to black and also, the coolest looking thing, colored the grooves on the face from white to black. That one I definitely want to make permanent. I also like to color my GPTV's in. I did the driver grip in red and my 3W grip blacked out. Takes a few times to get it dark and full but it's lasting well.

Ez,

Paintfill removal - go to Walmart and get 2 things of nailpolish remover, just make sure it has acetone in it. (If it doesn't say "acetone free", it probably has acetone in it.....how do i know so much about nailpolish?) They're like 83 cents apiece. Then, get a small tupperware container and place the head of the putter into it. Now fill up to the hosel with nailpolish remover and wait about 10-12 minutes. Get a soft wire brush and maybe a small flathead screwdriver and simply brush/pry out the paint. It works like a charm.

For $1.60, you save yourself alot of effort. Nailpolish remover is also a million times easier on your hands than straight acetone.

Personally, I prefer the Spring Meadow scent. :D

R35

Thanks Rock but I got it done already.
icon10.gif
I heated her up on the stove a little bit and just scraped it out. I have this really sharp, hard metal pick I found. I have no idea what it is supposed to be for but it's super sharp and super stroing metal. I actually dug into the grooves of one of my wedges with it. Works great for popping blisters too.

Now the heat is not high enough to turn the metal blue. Still wondering whether that is possible and will not hurt the putter.

Ez,

Paintfill removal - go to Walmart and get 2 things of nailpolish remover, just make sure it has acetone in it. (If it doesn't say "acetone free", it probably has acetone in it.....how do i know so much about nailpolish?) They're like 83 cents apiece. Then, get a small tupperware container and place the head of the putter into it. Now fill up to the hosel with nailpolish remover and wait about 10-12 minutes. Get a soft wire brush and maybe a small flathead screwdriver and simply brush/pry out the paint. It works like a charm.

For $1.60, you save yourself alot of effort. Nailpolish remover is also a million times easier on your hands than straight acetone.

Personally, I prefer the Spring Meadow scent. :D

R35

Okay, I was checking out your "naked" clubs just the other day and thinking that I wanted to do that to my set. Is this the method you used to clear the paintfill on the MP30s? I take it that it didn't harm the finish of your irons...

The irony is that my newly acquired Newport is down at the custom shop getting paintfill added.

Okay, I was checking out your "naked" clubs just the other day and thinking that I wanted to do that to my set. Is this the method you used to clear the paintfill on the MP30s? I take it that it didn't harm the finish of your irons...

The irony is that my newly acquired Newport is down at the custom shop getting paintfill added.

Nope, acetone won't hurt chrome or any other finish (unless you left it for an extremely long time, like 3 or 4 days. 15 minutes in a nailpolish bath is no biggie.

However, it will take ALL the paint off wherever it touches, as well as eat away your ferrules, so be VERY careful. Don't go higher than the bottom 3rd of the hosel to be safe, and keep a few rags handy for cleanup.

Also, if you have emblems, like Big Bertha's, ect, the acetone will probably eat away at the adhesive and loosen them. Be aware of that too.

But if you're doing just a normal set of chrome irons, Bob's your uncle.

R35

Check these out, not too bad. I need to scrape the putter a little more in the corners. That's lead tape on the MP-60 BTW. I'm striking that club very well. I've had it in the bag the last 3 rounds. I even hit it twice to the fringe on a 412 yd. par 4, just to see if I could do it.

Mp60.jpg

tdpgo.jpg
Mp60.jpg
tdpgo.jpg

Looks good. Did you do those today? Does "Cut Muscle" still have the paintfill? (could just be the angle)

Okay, I'm getting inspired. I have to regrip my hybrids tomorrow night so I might as well make a night of it and remove the paintfill on the Mizzies.

Yeah, "cut muscle" still has the navy paintfill. I used that sharp pick I have to scrape it out. Just heating it on the stove (gas) for about 10-15 seconds and it came out easy. That took like 2 minutes. I don't think I'm going to mess with the Miura's though. I'll get a pic of my driver filled in black, it looks really cool. I want to paint it permanent but the perm. marker lasts pretty good.

So, you did it on the stove and didn't use the acetone?

Hmm, I don't think my electric stove will work that well.

Microwave??
icon10.gif

If anyone reads this who is a little slow, this is a total joke, I will not be responsible for you blowing yourself up.

I wonder if that would give the 'blueing' effect you're after...

The acetone limits the chance of discolouration as well. It takes zero effort once it's soaked.

But Ez is pretty heavy duty....LOL...:D

R35

I'm trying to discolor the putter. Might have to hit it with a torch.
icon10.gif
It smelled pretty bad after 2 minutes on the stove but no blue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520