• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cutting down my driver

trumb1mj

Reaction score
I've been having some trouble finding the sweet spot with my RBZ tour 10.5 head so I decided to cut down the matrix x-stiff shaft from 45" (D1 sw) to 44.5" (D3 sw).

Today was my first range session and I was hitting everything on the screws. I could really feel good compression on all of my swings. This was what I expected given the extra control you get with a slightly shorter shaft more properly weighted for my swing.

But the surprising part of this experiment was the increase in swing speed. I use a blue Swing Speed Radar to measure my swing speed and try to use it during all range sessions to get an idea of what slows me down and speeds me up--it's a great training aid. I had been coming in around 108-110 MPH range before cutting the driver down but today I was between 110 and 116 the entire time.

I have no idea if this is typical but I must say, if you've had reservations about cutting down your driver, it's a really cheap experiment. Has anyone else seen these sort of increases?

I did the same with my rbz driver from 46 to 44 and it made a tremendous difference in accuracy and swing speed. I just shafted a maltby head that I haven't gotten a chance to hit much yet, I put it at 45 to see how I like that length. Because I hit a few drivers with that shaft length and liked it a lot.

And if you lose some feel / swingweight and want increase the feel the lighter weight grips are a good idea with that setup.

And if you lose some feel / swingweight and want increase the feel the lighter weight grips are a good idea with that setup.

I definitely considered this but given that a) the RBZ x-stiff was a hair too stiff b) the total weight of the setup was pretty light, it made the most sense to add some weight back to the head and soften up the shaft a hair.

I play 44.5

46 inch shafts are just plain stupid IMO.

Cutting down my driver shaft was the best thing I did for that part of the game.

Just a half inch made all the difference for me...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520