• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do irons go dead?

Junkie

Reaction score
Greetings, everyone. First-time, long-time.

My question for you is: Do irons go dead? Certain sporting goods, like tennis balls, racquetballs, tennis raquets and the newer softball bats (and I would imagine baseball bats) eventually lose their spring after being hit enough. Does this happen to golf clubs, particularly irons?

I have been playing the same set of Ping Eye 2 Red Dot irons since 1991 or so. I see in the used club markets, these are still getting decent prices. Not that I'm in any rush to get rid of them, or anything, but I was never fit for them. Bought them off the rack, used, back in the day. And let's face it, some of the new equipment is very cool. I will get fit if/when I buy new. But should I even bother, or are these Pings, which I like quite a bit, good indefinitely?

I'll hang up and listen.

Basically, no, irons don't go dead. You need new ones when you wear the grooves out of the ones you have.

even then, you can sharpen them up. what is it with Pings? they have this fugly charm.

yes, i play i5's....:smilie_pi

even then, you can sharpen them up. what is it with Pings? they have this fugly charm.

yes, i play i5's....:smilie_pi

Kinda like that girl in HS that was maybe a 6 out of 10 at best, but got all kinds of play... Just like her, those irons must do ANYTHING you ask ;)

Do irons go dead?

They will usually outlast the user.

Kinda like that girl in HS that was maybe a 6 out of 10 at best, but got all kinds of play... Just like her, those irons must do ANYTHING you ask ;)

EASY to hit is the answer and the Eye 2's are EASY to hit.

CAUTION: Your Eye 2's are dead!! In fact, they are so dead they could be dangerous to your, your fellow players, and any human being within a 20 mile radius. Typically, you would need to transport them immediately to the nearest disposal point as directed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. However, since you're a felow ShotTalker, I'll PM you an address to send them to for disposal... at NO cost to you!!!! :biglol::biglol:

Your Eye 2's are still a GREAT set of irons. And, no, they won't "go dead"! The heat-treated stainless castings are just as "lively" at they were when first leaving Ping's manufacturing facility.

Over the years, many folks have let their Eye 2's get away. They will play with someone who is hitting 8-iron when they are hitting their 7-iron Eye 2. All kinds of thoughts go through their heads... but, usually the "blame" is placed on the irons. Little do they realize, today's irons have "jacked up" lofts. The young, flat-belly who is out hitting you has an 8-iron with as strong, or stronger, loft than your 7-iron. It doesn't make a bit of difference whether you are hitting 7 or 8... as long as you know your distances and can repeat those distances.

There are still thousands of sets of Eye 2's and Eye 2+'s in play across the globe. There are dozens of folks who regret the day they let theirs go for something "prettier" or newer. If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, goodness knows, go spend it on something all chrome and fancy. When you card that double bogey... remember, you just spent $800 to bogey a hole just like you could have done with your Pings. Or, keep the Eye 2's. The next time you card a bird... smile and say, "I love these 25 year old babies" and gloat as you walk to the next tee box.

Unlike drivers and baseball bats, irons are hollow, so they dont fatigue and go dead over time.
The only time you will ever wear out irons is if you wear the grooves off of them.
As was said, even in the case of the grooves, you can always resharpen them.

How many times can you sharpen grooves?

Yes they do that is why powerbilt is bring out a new set of nitrogen filled ones next year

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420

eclark53520