• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does anybody know anything about growing a green?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Reaction score
OK, boys. The wife and I have decided that it would be a good idea to put a green in the backyard. We have a larger back yard that we rarely use, and if we utilize it for a green, I could practice whenever at home. I also would want a strip of turf to hit Cayman or Birdie balls off of.

So, does anyone know how to go about installing a green? It doesn't need to be special, but nice would be good. Think I could do it myself with some sand and a skidloader?

Yes, it is a very involved process and is going to be quite expensive. The first thing you would need to do is clear the area you are going to put the green on. This means strip the ground of all grass and rocks, then lay down a layer of sand for drainage and then top dress that with soil. You then need to choose the type of grass that will thrive in the climate that you live in. Soil ph levels would then need to be checked to see if the grass can survive in the soil that you lay down, adjusting if needed to reach a good ph level. Then the grass seed or sod can be laid down, need to ensure that it takes root/grows. Once you get the grass to grow, you are looking at maintenance and care for that, regular lawn mowers are not going to be able to cut the grass to the height that you want, the wheels will also push the grass down so that it doesn't get cut. All told, you are going to need to invest anywhere between 5-8 thousand dollars to get it started and for equipment, then the costs of maintenance year round. Or you can go with a synthetic green which may cost more at first but has far less maintenance.

Darn, I might be in over my head/budget. If I'd stop hoing clubs, I could afford it.

Aye, it isn't easy at all, especially maint.

Getting one of those fake, but real feeling, greens would probably be your best bet.

Good in the winter, really no upkeep, and still pretty close to the real thing.

just borrow the greens cutter from the local course...

I looked into it and decided against natural grass due to maintenance/laziness issues.

I did have a synthetic green installed, though, with three holes. It's not particularly large and the breaks are small, but it gives me something to work with at home.

Biggest issue so far is that I have a couple of pine trees near it, so I have to blow the needles off regularly. Did I mention I'm lazy? :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520