• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does your handicap reflect your playing ability ?

Now this is ironic. Just got back from the 129 slope course I sometimes play. It beat the hell out of me. 50+49=99 with 40 putts. I'm not even going to enter this score as I was just out of my rythym. I played through four foursomes and felt rushed for most of the round. I am at a 15.2 now, I can play to that when my game is together. Longer courses with a lot of dogleg lefts really hurt me.

Bravo said:
Sign me up! You will be President and I will be Carl Spackler.
President sweet...bring on the interns :D.:idhitit:

SiberianDVM said:
It's 2 driver time!!

I can usually play a 3w or 5w but today I was pulling everything OTT. I made 3 triples in a row on the first 3 holes. They are notoriously tough par 4's, my goal is to escape those 3 with a 15 or less. I got a real wake up call though going back to the tough course. I guess I can take my pick, low handicap that is a farce or a higher cap but a better game. If I played this course all the time I'd jump back to 18 but I'd be unbeatable at anything under 6200 or so.

Rockford35 said:
Personally, I think handicap reflects your course management skills. How many here grab the driver on every par 4?

If you see a playa with skills on the range, he's probablt a good ball striker. But even the best ball strikers get into trouble off the tee (Tiger, Vijay, ect). But, when you see a guy grab a 3 wood or a hybrid and put it out there right down the pipe so he's hitting 8 iron instead of wedge, it makes sense that his scores are going to be lower than yours after you slash the big dog into the trees/rough/sand.

Next to putting, course management is the most important aspect of golf. Anyone can learn to hit a driver 270, but learning when to test that driver at 270 is the key.

Take it from me, it took me almost 16 years to come to this conclusion. I now have no trouble playing the irons off the tee (along with some of my playing partners as a result of me doing it) and I'm playing the best golf of my life.

R35

This works on shorter courses but longer ones will be hell. I striped a drive right down the middle on the 2nd par 4 and came up 15yds. short with a 6iron. The 3rd is just as bad. A perfect drive leaves me a 6 or 7. A 3w leaves me choosing between a hybrid and a 5iron. They play slightly shorter than 2 of the par 5's at the easy course I play. Maybe I should just take a "par 5 birdie" mentality instead of risking the big drive for a GIR. (both go left too, dangerous for me).

Bravo said:
Sign me up! You will be President and I will be Carl Spackler.

We'll meet at the Hilton for the first meeting. They have a nice pool there. And a pond.

The pond would be good for you.

:D

R35

Rockford35 said:
We'll meet at the Hilton for the first meeting. They have a nice pool there. And a pond.

The pond would be good for you.

:D

R35

I will seek the floating turd to the best of my ability.

MAHALLEDAY said:
President sweet...bring on the interns :D.:idhitit:

We will convert to Islam, denotate a suicide car bomb and be greeted by 72 virgins...

Bravo said:
We will convert to Islam, denotate a suicide car bomb and be greeted by 72 virgins...

Remember, in Islamic, only men are martyrs in heaven.

Good luck with the 72 virgins. :D

R35

Rockford35 said:
Remember, in Islamic, only men are martyrs in heaven.

Good luck with the 72 virgins. :D

R35

That reminds me of the last time I did 72 holes in one day, it was very tiring but WHAT A DAY!
icon10.gif

EnglishGolfer said:
That reminds me of the last time I did 72 holes in one day, it was very tiring but WHAT A DAY!
icon10.gif

No doubt not as tiring as the day you did 72 virgins.

Bravo said:
I'm in, really I can see how we could lose.

EnglishGolfer said:
icon10.gif

Wow...we could never imagine this over here...Not enough daylight. I assume you played in mid-summer.

What was it like? Do you remember your scores? What course did you play??

Apologies, I was being crude with my reference to 72 "holes", a reference which clearly went over the heads of those of you with minds that aren't in the gutter like mine is frequently
icon10.gif

However I have played 72 golf holes in a day a few times when I was a teenager on my school holidays. It was my local nine hole course as well but I just couldn't get enough! I used to start playing at 7am and eat a packed lunch and lots of bananas on the way round.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520