• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Don't use a driver!!

Dannykos

Reaction score
Ok, so it was kind of enforced really - my Cobra L4V is being reshafted - so I was carrying my FT-i tour this evening, but didn't want to hit it incase I bombed it, and got 'driver confusion'.

I forced myself to tee off with no more than 3 wood on any hole. Last 5 rounds have been between 91-96 (pretty crappy right now). Came in with an 85 today.

What I learned was that it was pretty hard to have a real blowup hole (did have a triple and a double) - but generally, I was either par, or bogey (more bogey than par!).

I can't say that I'm never going to use a driver again, but I will certainly think twice before yanking it out of the bag irrespective.

Course management.

That's the bottom line. If you can hit your driver with relative safety, or have the confidence to make that shot, go for it.

If not, leave it in the bag.

I hit my driver most of the day today, and hit it well. On the few holes I pulled the 4-wood, the tee shot was a disaster. Oh well.

I hit my driver most of the day today, and hit it well. On the few holes I pulled the 4-wood, the tee shot was a disaster. Oh well.

Sounds like you got a touch of the Phils. :D

I played without the driver for a little while early in the year. To me, it's all about picking your miss. My worst miss on a good swing is a block right. If there is trouble right, I don't hit it, simple as that. I play reasonably long courses but still, 3W is plenty. No par 4's I couldn't reach 3W-5W at the most since those combine for about 480yds. Another thing I really need to stick with is not hitting a driver on a par 5 I'm not going for. Driver-3W is good for about 500-520max. I don't need to be trying to hit a driver on a 550yd. par 5. 3W in the fairway leaves 5W/SW, 3i/GW, 6i/PW, 7i/8i or 9i.

I like to try to pick my approach shot club on the tee.

Hit the Driver..millions of golfers hit a driver and only a few little girls whose nads have shrunk down to the size of a pea are afraid of the big bad stick.:D

Everyone who can't hit their driver should _at least_ try leaving it home. Unless they can't hit anything else either, they will score better. I played for two years without any woods at all. I put the driver, and a 3w, in last year and my scores went up, but I'm determined to prove to myself that I can hit it straight consistently. If scores are your priority though, a 1 or 2 iron will usually work, nevermind a 3w.

hybrid

I am not a big hitter and so always pull driver on par 4 and 5. I have a slice. not a good mix. Have more hits from woods, rough deep rough etc. Today after 2 bad tee shots with driver left it in bag. I dont get on with my 3w so hit 18 degree hybrid instead. First time got par on next 2 par 4s. Straight and not much shorter than i hit my driver. Had a bit of a melt down in second 9 but was alot happier with my game. Think it will be out for a while.

If you are a long hitter, you can perfectly leave your driver at home most of the time. I'm more confident with my 3-wood as well, and a 200yds 4-iron compensates perfectly for most holes.

My driver at my home course is worthless on several holes. I hit my driver pretty good and I was playing all the full shots very well today, but my pitch and chip shots demolished my score. Hit a 5 wood that nearly carried into the woods, then rolled into em on a par 5 90 degree dog leg right, then proceeded to do the same on the next go round same hole with a 3 iron. I did drive a ball pin high today though, just 7 foot to the right of the edge of the fringe. Somehow I nearly chipped that one in and got tap in for birdie, about the only good chip I had all day.

If you are a long hitter, you can perfectly leave your driver at home most of the time. I'm more confident with my 3-wood as well, and a 200yds 4-iron compensates perfectly for most holes.

You could, but scoring low is easy with the driver. I shot par using nothing but a 6 iron and down...

However, with driver, there's more potential.

Wirehair is correct. Have we all collectively had surgery contracted to have our balls removed?

I mean, seriously. I own a pink Razr, have $2 fuzzy dice from Wal-Mart in my car, and the most expensive pair of sunglasses I own, I don't even know how I got (don't remember, prolly drunk...)

But I still man up and hit the long ball with the big stick. :laugh:

Only reason why I hit a shorter club is if there's trouble out there (such as a lake within range of the driver, or something.) If you hit something shorter it'll just go 200 yards into the woods instead of 300 yards into the woods.

You could, but scoring low is easy with the driver. I shot par using nothing but a 6 iron and down...

However, with driver, there's more potential.

I guess as well I feel more confident having a 220yds 3-wood shot followed by a sure 120yds PW yard shot than having a 260yds rive and approaching an 80yds shot in most "not s long" holes :)

Oh, course management is essential, but on some courses, I don't mind the bomb and gouge.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520