• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver Shoot Out Results! - Final results are in!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
After a week of working my anus off, I decided that +15 and decent wind was the right ingredients to take out the drivers to the range. I need an idea of what 08 will look like, Big Dog wise. :)

Here's my rundown:

Callaway FT-i 8.5* Tour Fade

While the head shape is strange, it grows on you. I have this thing mated to an Accuflex Creation 65S at 45.5". The sound from the head is odd, but coming from an FT-3, it's old hat.

Performance wise, this is a low launching ball rocket machine. I can set up dead straight down the pipe and swing for the fences. ALMOST automatic. However, this thing is not bombproof. It can be wayward if you get lazy. Right is a DISTINCT possibility if you're not careful.

Very good distance and great feel off the face. Very forgiving too on good swings when the ball is outside the spot. High marks for that.

Callaway FT-5 Tour N 9.5*

This is is also mated to an Accuflex Creation 65S. Traditional Cally head shape but more confidence inspiring than that of the FT-3. I loved that club, and this is just an improvement on a winner.

L-O-N-G. Wow. This is top 3 distance wise of the longest drivers I have hit (behind the Geek and the Launcher 460 Ti). Not as consistent as the FT-i, but it's early in the season yet. Higher launching (surprisingly), but not enough for me to worry about it.

These two are fighting it out for bag time. It's splitting hairs, seriously. One has more distance, the other consistency, but those two factors are so close, it's a tight one. I'll give this second place by a nose.

Adams BTY 8.5* 4350

Accuflex Creation 65S

I LOVE the look of this head. Sets up dead square and just wants to be pumped out there. Very good distance wise, but the only drawback was the feel off the face. Maybe I'm spoiled with the feel of a Callaway, but this thing is a very nice combination. It finished in 4th place.

Cleveland HiBore XL Tour 9.5*

Slapped a Aldila VS Proto 70X into this for fun.

Well, I was wrong. This thing is not fun, it's SICK. I was incredibly surprised at how good this combination was for me. Rope after rope. I would bag this in a heartbeat. I love the feel off the face and just how it sets up to my eye. Square, confidence inspiring. It was 3rd place finisher, but very close.

I'm now down to two drivers for bag time. The HiBore and the BTY are out the door in search of someone who needs a quality driver. I'll have them in the Classifieds shortly.

The saga continues.....:callaway:

As for the Nak's, well Lyle has a convert with the TLT system. I've never hit my 3 and 4 iron as well in my whole life. I was puring the snot out of both of them and landed about 25 straight balls on the 165 green with my 8 iron. I really like the feel of the FST shafts too. Rifle-esque, but a bit more lively. I'm gonna like these irons. :)

R35

TLT is the future

TLT is the future
I agree, but you're not going to see the big OEMs pushing it because they can't mass produce it - it requires a fitting

Rock, glad to hear the shafts and TLT are working
the driver thing is good to read too, but the fact that you have all 4 at the same time and could bag any of them really shows off the ho-ness :)

• Staff
....but the fact that you have all 4 at the same time and could bag any of them really shows off the ho-ness :)

It gets looks at the range, that's forsure.

You gotta take the horse by the reigns and hit them all at the same time. Same good/crappy swing, it'll all come out in the wash.

I was swinging very well today, alot better than I thought I would be with a sore back and raw hands from floor install week. :eek:

The Callaway showdown is gonna be a toughy. I need some course time before bagging one or the other.

R35

Why are you so sure you need a 65g shaft?

The Callaway showdown is gonna be a toughy. I need some course time before bagging one or the other.

R35

It's MAY! Almost summer! It's 85°F here today!

When are you Canucks gonna leave your igloos? Don't you have to plant crops or something? You can't live on just snowcones, can you?

ok

I did the same and hated tip stiff and thought it was weight, it wasn't, it was just the tip. I like the heavier shafts but tip soft, hence the Purple Ice, few shafts have these specs

dave,

I thought the X-flex 26.3 Fuji was your shaft. I can't keep up with all this ho'ing.... :D

And R35, great reviews. Always seems like the Callys end up on top though... :)

What about the Geek with the UL540? Where did that place?

love the review.... i have to get my irons TLT'ed this sounds like the cats ass.

I keep going Warbird:) as all great hos do. The Fuji is staying in the Encore, its a great combination and a Purple Ice is a natural progression, butt stiff tip soft

What about the Geek with the UL540? Where did that place?

Never hit it. I only bought it for a friend to try out, but from the sounds of things, he wants 9*.

That thing is up for grabs, if you're interested. On the cheap, too. :laugh:

I might have to give it a go tho. If I hate it, you're sure to love it. :D

R35

The FT-5 is an improvement on the FT-3? Wow, that is saying a lot, IMHO. I'm done with anyone but Cally for drivers. I can't stand the titanium sound anymore. I took the R7 out the other day, and the sound made me cringe.

The driver I purchased from you is the best club purchase I've ever made, period.

The FT-5 is an improvement on the FT-3? Wow, that is saying a lot, IMHO. I'm done with anyone but Cally for drivers. I can't stand the titanium sound anymore. I took the R7 out the other day, and the sound made me cringe.

The driver I purchased from you is the best club purchase I've ever made, period.

That thing was extremely solid. It took alot for me to sell it.

If the FT-5 loses out on the FT-i, maybe I'll drop this thing down your way for a test drive.

R35

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422