• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fade or Draw?

What's your shot shape?

• I hit fades...

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • I hit draws...

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • I am very inconsistent...

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I am a shank-a-potomus...

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters
Since there is no straight option, I chose fade. I can have moments in time where I have a one-two yard draw, but not often. I play best fading every shot.

Since there is no straight option, I chose fade. I can have moments in time where I have a one-two yard draw, but not often. I play best fading every shot.

No straight option because nobody hits mostly straight. Or, at least, I've never seen nor heard of anybody that doesn't have a preferred side of the fairway. Hence draw, fade, and don't know options.

I fight a hook... so generally I draw the ball. I can't it an intentional fade at all... every once in a while I'll lose one to the right... but not often.

With the driver it's either straight or turns into a hook, irons for some reason are opposite where it's either dead straight or turns into a slight fade.

No straight option because nobody hits mostly straight. Or, at least, I've never seen nor heard of anybody that doesn't have a preferred side of the fairway. Hence draw, fade, and don't know options.

One of my brother-in-laws. Hits it dead straight. I've played with him about a dozen times, and never seen any 'work' on a single shot. It's actually a little creepy. His only miss is a topped ground ball, if he gets it airborne, it goes straight.

Where is the option in the poll for "Both, whichever the shot demands"

I naturally slice the ball, but I've recently learned that I actually can hit a draw... sometimes. Still working on being able to do it consistently.

Where is the option in the poll for "Both, whichever the shot demands"

That's not what the poll is asking. You'll notice in my original post I mentioned that I hit draws but I prefer to hit fades with my irons. My natural swing puts a draw on the ball.

You don't know what your natural shot shape is?

Inconsistant. Somedays I am fading it, other days I am drawing it. I just stick with what ever is working that particular day. I used to try and work the ball and can produce shots in both directions, but just not conistantly enough any more. Aim straight, learn the direction of the day, and favor that side.

I usually hit straight but if not mostly draws. I used to hit straight but faded with a slice once in awhile but last summer very few slices after the month of June. I found my problem in that regard. Now a bad shot is a duck hook. :(

What's the more popular shot shape here?

If I don't think and just hit the ball it will draw. Starts out a little right and draws back about 10 yards with the driver; less draw with irons.

But with irons I almost always hit a holdoff cut: choked down a bit, set up open, swing smooth. I hit a lot of greens that way, more consistent for me than just hitting my stock draw.

How about all of you?

Growing up I had Sergio-Itis and wanted to hit it as far as I could. I didn't even know what lag was b/c back in the 70's golf instruction was minimal compared to today, but I had it and I used it. Once I realized I had the ability to play golf in college I became concerned with control. My college coach made my swing 'anti-left' and the rest is history. I play a fade on everything unless I have to hit a draw, then I just drop my right foot back maybe 3-4 inches and can draw it a bit. I think my favorite shot on the planet is a 10 foot cut with any of my wedges.

I too thought it was pretty funny that there was no straight option. I chose fade for no better option. Kind of funny because I have always heard straight is the hardest to hit, and the majority of shots with exception to my driver are fairly straight. If they side with anything it is a fade.

This was not by design or really my intent. I naturally hit a draw for the last 5 years or so, or since about my 2nd or 3rd year of golf. The course for which I have played the most and belonged up to this year, as well as many of the other courses up here play more to a fade. Much of it has to do with the hole layouts as well as small (or narrow) greens and narrow fairways or longer par 3's with little room for error to the sides, which are common place. Last year I decided to take the time to change to a fade (for lack of expectation on being able to hit the ball straight and the main reason I found it funny there was no option), and in the process my ball goes relatively straight. 5i-XW are almost dead straight all the time, unless I try and do something with them. 4i/R, 7w and 4w are straight about 80-85* on a normal shot, very slight fade on the others. Driver is about 50~50 straight to fade, but is primarily usually the same for the entire day, just a matter of figuring out which one shows up for any give day.

In the process of going to a fade, I also eased up on my swing and gave up a lot of yardage. So now if I need to hit a draw, I can usually naturally do so by just going after the ball a little. With my irons, it is still not simple to hit a real controlled fade. Still getting used to it I guess.

I however disagree with some of the earlier observation where the better players hit draws. I think it is becoming more and more prevalent that the better golfers, and even many of the longer hitters are going to a fade because it is much more easily controlled. While I am glad I know how to hit a draw, it was much more devastating to my game when it was my natural ball flight. The difference being any that sided to a bad shot where many times out of play, with a fade it is much less damaging when the ball sits down quicker. So even if I join a different course this year, and it favors a draw, I doubt I will switch back. I think it was actually much harder to change away from a draw than the fade I hit when I started playing. It is actually funny that many of the player I play with for which I am better think I am playing worse, as they no longer see my draw. The ones that are better than I really notice and comment on the better results. I really think by nature the draw is simply viewed as a preferred result by people who have never played one and see the added distance. My ball striking is still the weakest part of my game, and it comes with a lot less expense without the draw.

Sorry if there aren't enough options for you folks. If somebody asks what your natural ball flight is, you really say 'straight' or 'both'?

Sorry if there aren't enough options for you folks. If somebody asks what your natural ball flight is, you really say 'straight' or 'both'?
I actually have no problem with the options. While I hit it straight the majority of the time, I would still likely say fade as that was my intent. I can hit both but it is just not natural and have to make modifications. The fade is more natural now, and how my natural shot will side. I really did find it funny because I think you proved a point in doing so that the straight ball flight is the hardest to hit, and I would bargain to guess that the majority of the people that hit it do not do so by design, and likely still side towards one.

I actually have no problem with the options. While I hit it straight the majority of the time, I would still likely say fade as that was my intent. I can hit both but it is just not natural and have to make modifications. The fade is more natural now, and how my natural shot will side. I really did find it funny because I think you proved a point in doing so that the straight ball flight is the hardest to hit, and I would bargain to guess that the majority of the people that hit it do not do so by design, and likely still side towards one.

Gotcha. I guess the few that do hit it completly straight a majority of the time still have a more common miss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520

3. 15,301