• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fitting existing irons

Planet_Boom

Reaction score
I was able to buy a set of MX-25's off a guy from my work for a bargain price. However, they were off the shelf spec.

Anyways, I have some pro shop credit and have decided to get fitted for lenght and lie.

Can some one tell me what I should expect from the fitting i.e what tests should they do etc and what kind of price I should pay? I have been quoted £10-£20 for the fitting.

Also, although i've heard custom fitting is the way to go. If you make changes to your swing through lessons etc does that make the fitting a waste of time?

My appointment is tomorrow morning, so quick replies please.

I was able to buy a set of MX-25's off a guy from my work for a bargain price. However, they were off the shelf spec.

Anyways, I have some pro shop credit and have decided to get fitted for lenght and lie.

Can some one tell me what I should expect from the fitting i.e what tests should they do etc and what kind of price I should pay? I have been quoted £10-£20 for the fitting.
I have no idea what the going rate of fitting existing sets are going for over seas....but I can give you an idea what you might expect...

First off, there's "static" and "Dynamic" fitting....

Static fitting is JUST taking measurements and a recommendation...ask them up front if they will want to see your swing...if they say no, leave and use your credit to buy something down the line.

If they are doing a DYNAMIC fitting, they should have you warm up (loosen tendons), have you do some swings on a lie board, then on a launch monitor...then based on the data, make recommendations.

Also, although i've heard custom fitting is the way to go. If you make changes to your swing through lessons etc does that make the fitting a waste of time?
Great question!

Here is our philosophy....

If you're a beginner and have a halfway repeatable swing...regardless if it's not a textbook swing, we fit you to your swing...

Now, should you take lessons from a reputable professional and they want you to employ a swing that is so dramatically different than what you are doing...it's YOUR responsibility to tell him you were fitted to your old swing.

Then, it's the decision of the pro if you should get re-fitted.

But my recommendation to you is right now....at this point in time, get fitted. Then worry about the future later.

PS- Oh, and one other thing......
Assuming they will be doing a dynamic fitting? If anytime during the fitting you feel tired, winded, sore or just "need a break".....STOP

If you have the fitter gauge you when your tired, you will be mis-fitted.

I don't know the customary practices in the UK but, in the US, if a guy wants to sell you clubs he should be willing to do the fitting for no charge.
I agree with IndiaCup, get a fitting now and worry about the future later.

Thanks IndaCup, thats great advice and I should hope that I do get a dynamic fitting. I had a driver fitting there before and I was on the launch monitor so hoping its the same. Also, its down at the range i will be getting fitted, so I get to see the ball flight.

Its my teaching pro that I giving me the fitting, I have had a block of lessons with him and was getting good results. This should hopefully work to my advantage as he can tell me if its the swing or the clubs that need adjusted.

Redwing, I bought my clubs from a guy that I work with for half the price, and they were only two months old. The rrp here for a set of MX-25s is £450 - £500, I picked them up for £240 so I dont mind paying an extra £20-£30 to have them fitted.

I shall let you's know how I get on today.

Again, thanks for the advice

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424