• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fitting Question

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I had a fitting made on me this weekend. I have to admit I'm not convinced by far about the results, mostly due to discussions we have been having in here regarding such issues (including the 290yd 3w of some guy I don't remember his name :D). I had the fitting made at the Taylormade fitting place, wit my clubs and with some the guy in there thought could fit my game. I tried a lot of stuff though (including the new R9 460 with I though sucked), just for the sake of it.

Most stuff was right were I thought they would be, but some caught my attention. There were some stats which I found to be a little awkward regarding swing speed. The results were:

-6-iron (Cobra S9 Grap Stiff) avg. speed: 101
(TM R7 CGB Max Stiff) avg speed: 98

-Driver (Hibore XL OEM Stiff) avg. speed: 124??????
(07 Burner OEM Stiff) avg. speed: 120

I'm a little curious about what you think regarding these numbers.

1. I think the Driver speed is way out of proportion. I have an average dirve of 350yds (hehehe, internet yards of course:D, changed to a 254 real yards :D), but with a speed over 120 I would expect to have much more yardage, shouldn't I? Since a PGA tour professional averages 110mph of swing speed, isn't this result just ridiculous????

2. Is it possible to have such a great difference in swing speed between the Driver and the Irons? If yes, why would there be such?

I don't think the guy biased the numbers in order to sell me stuff because he ended up saying I was hiting exactly the equipment I needed to use.
And the funniest thing was, he (a Taylor Made Representative) actually told me I was not going to find a better driver for my game than mi Hibore XL. I don't know if he meant I am such a bad golfer than none of the equipment he was selling could help me anyway, or he really meant what he said :D

Thanks guys...

A big box golf store?
Sounds about right. They swear those machines are super accurate.
Go back in a few months after they calibrate their machines and you'll probably register 95mph with driver.
A few years ago my swingspeed was registering 129mph and know if I hit any balls there I avg. about 105mph and carry the ball 280yards even though my SSR reads 120 and I have SkyCaddy'd two drives of 290 uphill and 322 downhill.
I think you can only trust a few launch monitors. Trackman, Vector and Flightscope. But I think even these numbers are slightly off.
And about clubhead speeds regarding driver and irons. Of course your driver swingspeed is higher!!! The club is longer. I think tour pros are 115mph/85mph; driver/PW.
A 100mph 6i is pretty fast!

My first question would be were you on a virtual driving range?

Me and some buddies go into our edwin watts every so often to test out new clubs that have came out and I know that their indoor driving range doesn't get the adjustments that it needs every so often from thousands of balls hit on it. Usually you find alot of 6 irons to demo at places and on that machine it will show that I hit a 6 iron like 220 yards even though I know that I hit a 6 on avg. of 175 yards and like you said driver swing speeds are really jacked way up. Anyways I'm not sure if you were using one of these type of machines or just one of the swing speed instruments you place on the ground behind you but I would say it is in need of some adjustments or like you said maybe it's on purpose so the every day golfer goes in there and is like OH MAN I CAN CRUSH THIS CLUB and buy it ya never know.

My first question would be were you on a virtual driving range?

Me and some buddies go into our edwin watts every so often to test out new clubs that have came out and I know that their indoor driving range doesn't get the adjustments that it needs every so often from thousands of balls hit on it. Usually you find alot of 6 irons to demo at places and on that machine it will show that I hit a 6 iron like 220 yards even though I know that I hit a 6 on avg. of 175 yards and like you said driver swing speeds are really jacked way up. Anyways I'm not sure if you were using one of these type of machines or just one of the swing speed instruments you place on the ground behind you but I would say it is in need of some adjustments or like you said maybe it's on purpose so the every day golfer goes in there and is like OH MAN I CAN CRUSH THIS CLUB and buy it ya never know.

The best part is they tell you "you'll actually hit it 20yards farther outside" I think they are adjusted to suit swingers who generate less than 100mph, and every once inawhile along comes a decent enough golfer and whoa

I hear that. I had to laugh at a salesman one time when I asked if they calibrate thier machine and he told me yeah when I bring my clubs in I hit them excatly the same as I do on the course......
*cough* Bull&%#$

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520