• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Frightening afternoon yesterday

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife, 4 kids and I are driving through town yesterday (going to lunch) in the left lane of a four lane road. Traffic is backed up in the right lane, and I'm passing alongside 2 tractor trailers stopped for the light (my lane is clear and I'm slowing down for the same light). Out of nowhere a man in a mini van decides to pull out of a parking lot and take a left in front of me. No where to go but hit him. Fortunately, we were both moving slow (another 3-5 feet I'd have stopped in time) and no one was hurt. Kids didn't even get scared it happened so quickly. All I remember thinking was "I can't go left (oncoming traffic) or right (trucks) so I've got to stop this thing." Everyone was buckled, and my 2 9 yr. olds were both in car seats.

I spent the rest of the day with them...no work, nothing but them. The girl's mom picked them up at 8:00.

Now, I can't stop thinking "What if?".

Not looking for sympathy (in reality, it was a minor wreck that we drove away from), just venting and reminding everyone that the old cliches about living each day like your last, and telling those you love that you love them every chance you get, are a lot more than cliche. They've taken on a new meaning for me, and I believed them before this happened.

:( Sorry to hear MC, glad everyone was okay.

Not to mention drive a big honkin' SUV that'll crunch a lesser vehicle into oblivion, all while protecting you and the loved ones.

Just kidding, my friend - I couldn't resist...

I'm glad it wasn't serious, and that all you got was a scare. You're 100% spot on. We all need to appreciate more, and complain less.

I'm glad you and your kids are okay. I know a few people that have had real bad injuries in car wrecks, I always get a feeling in my gut when I hear about a wreck, no matter how minor. Was the van driver on a cellphone or what?

I was in a hit and run a couple weeks ago. Driving to school after a snowstorm, some lady in an suv passed me on a residential street, spun out just as she passed and pushed me into the curb and a mailbox. Eroded the hell out of my wheel and a nice dent in the door. She kept right on going, and I didn't get her plate in time.

• Staff
I'm glad you and your kids are okay. I know a few people that have had real bad injuries in car wrecks, I always get a feeling in my gut when I hear about a wreck, no matter how minor. Was the van driver on a cellphone or what?

I was in a hit and run a couple weeks ago. Driving to school after a snowstorm, some lady in an suv passed me on a residential street, spun out just as she passed and pushed me into the curb and a mailbox. Eroded the hell out of my wheel and a nice dent in the door. She kept right on going, and I didn't get her plate in time.
Thanks, and no he wasn't. He was trying to cross traffic in front of the 2 tractor trailers and simply could't see anything.

I had a very close call a few weeks ago and it does remind you that every day is important.

In my case it was a van parked on the shoulder that was waiting to make a u-turn. Not sure why he didn't see me and I still don't know how I missed him. I do know a fraction of a second difference or any difference in my reaction and I would have t boned the guy.

I still remember the look on his when he saw me. Clean underwear please.

Glad everyone is okay MC. A friend of mine spent last night in the ER with his daughter after she had an accident. Bad concussion and bumps and bruises was all she had when all was said and done, thank goodness you and your family are uninjured. But times such as those do open our eyes don't they?

I was driving back to work yesterday at lunch and saw smoke coming from a sidestreet. I came to a stop at the lights and turned to see a house completely engulfed in flames, as high as the tree tops (75 year old elms).

No was hurt, but i came home to think of if that were my house.

Reflection is good.

Glad you and yours are ok. Mostly yours tho. :D

R35

Glad you and the family are OK MC. I have to be a little more patient on the road myself. Sometimes I tend to get a little more agressive than I should when people drive like crap. The one that annoys me the most is the reluctancy of everyone to use the right lane of a 3 lane highway. I was behind a guy for a while who was on the phone today and wouldn't move over. I passed him in the right lane and cut back over about 2-3ft. in front of his car to wake him up. I really shouldn't do stuff like that. Although there is no way I'd hit him or him me since I'm going 7-8mph. faster and ahead of him already but his reaction, especially since he's not paying attention, could cause and accident between him and another car I suppose.

Did you kick his ass?

That exact thought entered my mind... :) And glad everyone's okay...
I've always said that if I was ever in a wreck with my family in the car, and the wreck was from someone else's stupidity, that I'd wind up in jail. When it happened, all that really mattered was that everyone was ok. Also, he was an older man (mid to late 60's I'd guess) and as soon as it happened his son's first concern was for my family. It was truly an accident, so I curbed my anger.

And thanks to all for your well wishes!

I've always said that if I was ever in a wreck with my family in the car, and the wreck was from someone else's stupidity, that I'd wind up in jail. When it happened, all that really mattered was that everyone was ok. Also, he was an older man (mid to late 60's I'd guess) and as soon as it happened his son's first concern was for my family. It was truly an accident, so I curbed my anger.

And thanks to all for your well wishes!

I have always said the same thing that I would go off on the person who hit me, last year a lady ran a red light and took me out and knocked me old cold so I really couldnt kick her ass hahahaha luckily nobody got seriously hurt just my poor car. Never knew why the lady ran the red light though but sure did piss me off and make driving really scary after that.

Glad to hear all is okay.

Once you do a check of the family and realize that no one is hurt, nothing else really matters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520