• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

G10 Hybrid

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've finally witnessed first hand that there is such a thing as a "player's" hybrid. Other than my J33 3W, the only other clubs that have lasted the last two years in my bag were my Sonartec Mds. I replaced the 4H with a G2HL at the end of last year but the 3H was holding solid. When struck flush, the Md feels more like a forged iron than it does anything else; the problem was I was hitting it flush only about a third of the time and, while more forgiving than a 3 iron, it wasn't all that forgiving. A couple of months ago I took a hard look at my bag (all clubs) and got honest with myself and my abilities. What I noticed was that the Md was not helping me as much as I'd like. So, off to the shop I went looking for a forgiving hybrid, enter the G10...

The G10 couldn't more different than the Md and still be classified as the same type of club. The G10 is larger overall with a shallower face and a scooped back; quite a departure from the mini shoebox look of the Md. The other difference between these two is that I went with a steel shaft in the G10 (Md had the stock iROD).

I was very impressed with the G10 after half a dozen range sessions. It was noticeably more consistent in direction, distance, and ball flight than the Md. The AWT shaft has a nice heft which aids in replicating a smooth iron'esque swing. The result is a higher launching shot that just goes and goes and then lands softly. Although it has a higher flight than the Md, I'm not seeing any distance loss when comparing solid shots with solid shots. On the other hand, the G10 is a TON longer and straighter than the Md on less than solid shots.

The true test of a new club is on the course though and I finally was able to get out for 18 yesterday. My overall game has at last returned to the form from this time last year and, the last two rounds, I've been successful at trusting my swing on the course and allowing "ranger rob" to show up. This is important as now I would be forced to trust a new club in the heat of battle. The G10 did not disappoint!

It wasn't until the 6th hole that I was able to bring her out of the bag but she was ready to show off! The 6th is a long par 5 that plays into the wind. I sprayed my tee shot so, after punching out, I needed about 195 for my ideal lay-up spot; after a deep breath and a decisive commitment to the G10s first, on course shot, I pulled the trigger. What I saw was the same high piercing flight that I've seen on the range for the last month. This was just awesome and EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

As the day went on, from the rough or fairway it did not matter it was much the same with the G10. The only hiccup was a 200yd par 3 where I just put a crappy swing on the ball. The out to in swing path was brutal and resulted in a nasty open-faced heel strike. I would've been screwed with the Md but with the G10, the ball started off left and, instead of going viollently right shortly thereafter, it gently moved as if I intended to hit a soft cut back into the wind. Surprisingly the ball ended up just short and right of the green and I was able to get up and down for par. There is no doubt in my mind that I would've been hitting three on the tee with the Sonartec.

At the end of the day, I could not be more pleased with this ho. I know a good deal of the difference I was seeing had to do with the steel shaft but the G10 head is noticeably more forgiving than the Sonartec.

***Disclaimer, the Sonartec Md is a fantastic hybrid that feels wonderful, it is just not the right hybrid for this 14 capper with ball striking issues.***

Nice review....I like mine, too!

From all I've heard if I ever replaced my Nickents (no need to) I would be looking at the G10's. :)

Nice review. :)

Nice review. I love mine and find it performs just about the same as you described.

G 10 18 degree

I'm loving my Hybrid as well.... The Three Wood is also sweet!!!

I went with a 18 degree for my 200-220 range and it works sweet..... Almost every shot is pure.....

Here is a little link to the other day..... we took a quick video of each others swings so we could critisize our selves.....

Here is my Hybrid with sound if your bored..... LOL

Click Link Here Golf Swing Ping 18 deg - Putfile.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423