• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting a grip question.

RJTee

Reaction score
In the process of rebuilding my swing and have discovered that I may be applying too much pressure to the top of the grip with my thumb of the left hand. I have used a short thumb left hand grip ala Ben Hogan for years, however, recently I noticed that when just letting the left thumb barely rest on the grip as opposed to actually gripping between thumb and forefinger, the lag is held longer and thereby my release is more natural feeling with more snap to it.

I have a feeling the excess left hand thumb pressure may have been causing tension, a casting of the club from the top, and a power robbing early release. Is solid pressure from the thumb necessary at the top for club support? So what are your experiences concerning the left hand grip?

Hope my rambling isn't to confusing; any comments are appreciated:)

RJ

If you're not dropping the club at the top, where the head falls way beyond parallel, I'd say feel free to loosen up. But chances are you WILL lack the support to keep control of the club and retain your tempo at the top. Maybe your lag feels more snappy because you have so much more ground to cover due to the over-hinging. Hit any balls yet? Any terrible hooks?

If you're not dropping the club at the top, where the head falls way beyond parallel, I'd say feel free to loosen up. But chances are you WILL lack the support to keep control of the club and retain your tempo at the top. Maybe your lag feels more snappy because you have so much more ground to cover due to the over-hinging. Hit any balls yet? Any terrible hooks?

Hooking HAS been a problem, but not any more so with this experiment. I also made an adjustment with my right hand by "marrying" it more closely with the left and using it for more support at the top. Don't know if the clubhead is dropping (doesn't feel any different than before) but I will check it out when I'm able. Thanks for your response.

RJ

" recently I noticed that when just letting the left thumb barely rest on the grip as opposed to actually gripping between thumb and forefinger......"

who tolf you to grip with the thumb and forefinger in the left hand? Hogan advises to squeeze the RIGHT forefinger and thumb, not the left, so maybe thats the problem. The short left thumb was about 2 millimetres and he used it ti shirten his backswing, for mere mortals it would have little or no effect I think. It most likely you got the grip pressure incorrectly in the wrong hand and therefore built tension into your swing.

" "who tolf you to grip with the thumb and forefinger in the left hand? Hogan advises to squeeze the RIGHT forefinger and thumb, not the left, so maybe thats the problem. The short left thumb was about 2 millimetres and he used it ti shirten his backswing, for mere mortals it would have little or no effect I think. It most likely you got the grip pressure incorrectly in the wrong hand and therefore built tension into your swing."

Dave, Thanks for adding your incite to this thread. Thought that the reference to Hogan might get your attention:laugh:. Hogan's fundementals were some of the first swing thoughts I read about when I 1st started learning golf 25 years ago. Unfortunately, I am sure I missed some important details that may have been causing me problems all these years. Indeed, I do have tension in my swing and I always was looking for the cause in other areas.

Your youtube video of Hogans last stand has been great as I have been trying to get away from a two plane swing that I was taught in my beginning golfing lessons 25 ago, and become more of a one planer. Since I don't have high speed internet, as we live in a rural area with antique communications, the download took hours but was worth it. Since the download was coming in bytes of a few seconds I was able to observe Hogans swing stopped in various positions. Shortly after watching it I had an epiphany of sorts at the driving range while trying some of the things I had observed, and have had much improved ball contact, trajectory, and consistancy. The left hand grip may be the piece of the puzzle I have been missing.

RJ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424