• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

getting clubs fitted

twofast2s

Reaction score
you know i realized when i was taking a lesson down in NC, the pro i was getting lessons from could hit just about everything far and pretty straight. i think fitting comes from mostly fine tuning your driver so it's at an optimum performance. what chu guys think?

once i get my irons set up, i wanted to get them fitted for the distance (loft) and the lie (swing plane). right now, i hit 5i-PW pretty well, but 3 and 4 irons are still not as accurate and consistant (they still get good distance though, 215 yd w/ 3i and 195 w/ 4i).

i have a set of nike forged blade and their lofts are weaker, 23* for 3i and 49* for PW. i just want them fitted so that i have even distribution of distance b/w the clubs.

should i get them fitted?

If you get fitted, I bet you $4 that they tell you that you shouldn't be playing forged blades with your handicap. No offense, obviously.

Club type plays into the fitting as well. It brings in head, shaft, lie, loft, length, flex and grip size. That's a proper fitting.

I play to a 4hdcp, and there's no way that i could play Blades to their full potential. It took me a whole season of being at the range constantly to realize that. I gave in and grabbed some CB's and couldn't be happier. And, my game has improved immensely.

I was fit before I bought my irons as well, and swapped out the shafts immediately to what i was recommended to get. I was lucky enough to be standard length and lie for my irons, my wedges I have bent a tad flat. Now all my irons feel the same, perform the same and I couldn't be happier.

A fitting is so worth it.

R35

thanks rock.

for me, my swing isn't a much problem compared to putting. i had several 3 and 4 putts on my last round. but you're right, i really shouldn't be playing w/ blades, but from the ones i've played so far, my current set gave me the most cosistant and lowest scoring shots. i had big bertha, some no name CB, titleist 990DCI. this could be mental (i feel like i hit better w/ blades), so who knows..

have you considered getting fit for a putter?

should i get them fitted?

Let me begin by issuing the disclaimer that the following is my OPINION. Many will not hold the same opinion. That is one of the 'interesting' things about this game in that there are not a lot of good textbooks that apply to each and every player.

Fitting of clubs is dependant on two people, the player and the fitter. First, in order to have a fitting mean anything to a player that player must be able to repeat a swing. Most occasional players cannot repeat a swing, swing to swing let alone week to week and month to month. What is the purpose of getting clubs bent to within 1 degree of lie when your next swing could vary by 2 to 3 degrees. If the fitter allows you time to really warm up and get loose, what's to say the next time you play you will have the same swing plane. Develop a repeating swing. Develop your game. Develop a thorough knowledge of your ball trajectory and the changes you need to make in that trajectory. Only after putting those issues in place should you seek out a fitter.
The other variable is the fitter. Some years ago, Golf Digest sent 3 or 4 players of differing ability levels to 3 different professional fitters. They were sent to Henry Griffiths, Titleist, and Ping factories for the fittings. It was amazing the different recommendations that each player received. A couple of players were recommended different shaft flexes. Lie angles varied over 4 degrees between the 3 fittings. One of the players was a mini-tour player and a "+" cap. Even he rec'd different fitting set ups from each fitter.
I still believe to get real, one must chart/map each and every round. Log what clubs cost you shots. Log what clubs you are hitting well. Over a period of 10 rounds, or so, you should be able to see patterns developing. If you hit your short irons well but miss your mid irons, have the lies checked to see that a couple of irons haven't slipped out of spec. If you hit your irons well but everything goes right, you may need the lies tweaked upright. Likewise, if over a long period of time your irons all go left, they need flatened.
To assume a range or simulator fitting will accomplish anything other than allowing you to sign your name on the credit card receipt is a stretch at the least.
Sorry! Again, just my opinion.

funny thing is that my putter was first thing to get fit. the loft and the length remained stock but the lie was adjusted to 66*

i don't know where to go get my putter fitted here (originally got it fit in NC, now i live in RI).

my problem w/ the putter is not the fitment, but more of a "feel" or distance control. i often leave my putt way past the hole. perhaps the greens are really hard?

on par 4s, i get on the green mostly on 2nd or3rd shot. i seldom have 4th shot to the green.

I got fitted for a driver last year by Tom Spargo in the golf dome off Route 2 in warwick/west warwick - nice guy
Spargo Golf

if the putter already fits you, it's probably a practice thing (or you've been playing on frozen greens in RI and it's been too cold for you to feel your hands...)

at least you're hitting them long and not short - when you're short the ball never had a chance of dropping

good posts here. thanks guys.

i kept record of my driver/putter/approach performances, but never got around to summarize them. i guess for now i'll keep the score cards w/ which irons used, and keep record of my stats for several rounds and take that to the fitter.

so what else should i keep track of?

my problem w/ the putter is not the fitment, but more of a "feel" or distance control. i often leave my putt way past the hole. perhaps the greens are really hard?
Go to Office Depot/Staples and get a roll of double sided Scotch tape. Take the roll of double sided tape and a half dozen quarters to the putting green. With a piece of double sided tape stick a quarter on the putter flange. See if the little added weight assists with distance control. Put another piece of tape on the first quarter and add another. Keep adding quarters until you get the putter heavy enough to control your stroke. In many cases, poor distance control is caused by "stabbing" at the ball. The added weight often times smoothes out the stroke and brings the distance control back in line. Once you determine that some added weight will, in fact, help you can then add lead tape to match the quarters.
I've never purchased a putter that had the "smooth" feel until it had at least a dab of lead added to it. Some take more than others. Some may just need a touch of tape to convince the 'puttee' the science is correct and the stroke will follow.
Good luck!!!!

Let me begin by issuing the disclaimer that the following is my OPINION. Many will not hold the same opinion. That is one of the 'interesting' things about this game in that there are not a lot of good textbooks that apply to each and every player.

Fitting of clubs is dependant on two people, the player and the fitter. First, in order to have a fitting mean anything to a player that player must be able to repeat a swing. Most occasional players cannot repeat a swing, swing to swing let alone week to week and month to month. What is the purpose of getting clubs bent to within 1 degree of lie when your next swing could vary by 2 to 3 degrees. If the fitter allows you time to really warm up and get loose, what's to say the next time you play you will have the same swing plane. Develop a repeating swing. Develop your game. Develop a thorough knowledge of your ball trajectory and the changes you need to make in that trajectory. Only after putting those issues in place should you seek out a fitter.
The other variable is the fitter. Some years ago, Golf Digest sent 3 or 4 players of differing ability levels to 3 different professional fitters. They were sent to Henry Griffiths, Titleist, and Ping factories for the fittings. It was amazing the different recommendations that each player received. A couple of players were recommended different shaft flexes. Lie angles varied over 4 degrees between the 3 fittings. One of the players was a mini-tour player and a "+" cap. Even he rec'd different fitting set ups from each fitter.
I still believe to get real, one must chart/map each and every round. Log what clubs cost you shots. Log what clubs you are hitting well. Over a period of 10 rounds, or so, you should be able to see patterns developing. If you hit your short irons well but miss your mid irons, have the lies checked to see that a couple of irons haven't slipped out of spec. If you hit your irons well but everything goes right, you may need the lies tweaked upright. Likewise, if over a long period of time your irons all go left, they need flatened.
To assume a range or simulator fitting will accomplish anything other than allowing you to sign your name on the credit card receipt is a stretch at the least.
Sorry! Again, just my opinion.

I must say that I agree with this post almost 100%. The funny thing about this though is that if you actually charted say 10 rounds and found out what shots cost you what # of strokes, we would all realize that a new driver or a properly fitted set of irons would do us little to no good whatsoever. WHat would really help us all lower our scores, is to spend time on the PUTTING GREEN & CHIPPING GREEN
icon10.gif
!!! Of course that is nowhere near as fun as buying a new driver or set of irons, and I include myself in this group...just my opinion of course

I must say that I agree with this post almost 100%. The funny thing about this though is that if you actually charted say 10 rounds and found out what shots cost you what # of strokes, we would all realize that a new driver or a properly fitted set of irons would do us little to no good whatsoever. WHat would really help us all lower our scores, is to spend time on the PUTTING GREEN & CHIPPING GREEN
icon10.gif
!!! Of course that is nowhere near as fun as buying a new driver or set of irons, and I include myself in this group...just my opinion of course

i practice chipping and putting twice as much than going to range to practice. my chipping and pitches are fairly decent, but around 5ft+ putt is what's killing me.

last round i had 2 eagle attempt putts and ended up boggie for both holes. i had quite a few birdie attempts but only 2 were made. so sadddd...

but all in all i'm happy w/ my game, and i just want to enjoy it as much as i can b/f i go to dental school. and having to add technical aspect (lie/loft, shaft selection, etc) makes this game of golf more interesting (or frustrating :) )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420

eclark53520

3. 15,299