• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf brand perception

Hahaha... But you do bring up a good point. I do really like Titleist Wedges but I don't really like their irons.

I really like the Mizuno irons and wedges but some people love the Mizzy irons but not their wedges.

I guess same goes for Clevelands...

This is exactly why I choose to play Mizuno irons and Cleveland wedges. I prefer a lighter wedge, and the Mizzy and Vokeys are too heavy. I'll try them again this summer tho.

I also was the owner of a set of Cleveland TA7s for 2 years. They were decent, nothing great. I doubt I'll be looking at any more any time soon.

Speaking of Cleveland irons... what happened to Davebud???

Nope. But the fact that you've had 4 sets of them speaks volumes!:laugh:

Cleveland doesn't use a true forging process for their irons, which makes them feel "hard" in my opinion. The only set I ever hit really well was a set of gunmetal TA6's years back. Other than that, they feel really clicky and odd. Nothing personal against you, just my thoughts.

I did see some pics from the Tokyo Golf Show and Cleveland is releasing a "true" forged 588 DSG late this year. That should - should - lead to some true forgings in the irons. Then you'll see something from Cleveland that can stack up to Mizuno, Titleist, Miura, ect.

R35

You should hit their new Cleveland irons made from the "miracle metal" which is actually ductile iron. Even though they're cast they should play much softer and quieter then any Mizzie forged club ever made. The graphite nodules in the material absorb shock and noise. It's a proven fact which is why it is gaining in industry. :D

Are Cleveland irons that bad? I've had four sets, TA5, TA7, TA2, CG4 tours. I liked all of them, but the Tours are really nice. Am I missing out on something?
There are some great OEM's out there. Enjoying this golf addiction, we are blessed to have a full spectrum of excellent 'tools' from which to choose. This thread, IMHO, was an expression of personal perceptions. I would gladly retract my entire post, if those personal perceptions are to be taken as some statement of fact.

Perceptions are formed by many experiences. You see, I will never own another Ford product. I have developed a perception, through experience, that considers them inferior to other brands. Many of my co-workers drive Fords. Does my perception make them a poor choice of vehicle for someone else? Certainly not!

Cleveland has a long and storied history in this game. Cleveland has been an OEM to be reckoned with since the late 80's. One of the better players in our regular group is on his second set of Cleveland irons and has taken money from my pocket on more than one occasion. That does not change MY perception... and... my perception does not in the least bit lessen your excellent experiences.

CanadianGuy has had good results from his Wilson's. Wilson, too, has a long history producing a quality product. MY perception is that they have not kept up with some of the others, in recent years, but... that's my perception. I thoroughly enjoy watching Harrington play golf. Yet, when I see that Wilson Staff on his cap, my ol' mind take off. I remember the old Fluid Feel irons. I remember the Staff Goosenecks. And, I simply... in my mind... don't see the same industry leading products being turned out this past few years. MY perception!

Many, and rightfully so, form their perceptions from playing experiences. That is simply and straightforward. I applaud the ability to do that!! Many days, I wish I could revert to being able to push other qualifiers out of my perceptive mix. Yet, over the years, I have developed my perceptions of OEM's inside this industry from playing experience, history, corporate model, resale values, durability, innovation... an entire host of issues. Some would define it as paralysis through analysis.

Keep playing your great Cleveland product!!!! Believe in those irons. You have chosen to place in your bag product of one of the leading manufacturers of golf equipment in the world. I'll tee it up with you any day... gladly... because we both love and respect this game. The respect and appreciation of a fellow golfer would never be diminished by something as shallow as the brand of clubs with which YOU choose to enjoy this game.

exactly.

anyone who took this personally didn't read the thread title correctly. Example, I stated that Callaway were game improvement clubs, yet the X forged and X Tour woods are on my wish list

And how can the wedges be good, but the irons suck? Its the same manufacturing process.
At least for me it is a matter of what you need in the club. When I buy a wedge, I likely turn my back on any kind of cavity, perimeter weighting, and want something that looks more like a conventional Blade or Muscle Back. Even my Pings were a stretch for me on this, but close enough.

Looking for a iron, I would likely be looking for the opposite in all the things I mentioned to some degree. I personally wouldn't go so far as to say they suck, but they certainly do not have enough options to match what I look for in an iron. To me they also just don't have a club that makes you go WOW when I pick them up or hit them. Is WOW factor important? I'll admit it, for me it is important. If I can't stand the design of the club, I doubt I will hit it well. In the same sense, I doubt I could ever play a HiBore, Square driver, or worst of all, a SUMO. Granted that yellow piss paint is on the bottom of the club, but I would always know it was there.

Their wedges do this for me. Just look sleek, like a wedge should look, and great feel. To be honest, outside of their Players clubs, their irons all look like a knockoffs, or even Knockoffs of Knockoffs, of one form or another from clubs that came out from one company or another, only a few years late. If that is what I wanted in a club, there are alot of good knockoffs out there that would require I help sponsor a tour player as part of the process.

I think Manufacturing process and club design are two different things. On the other hand, if I were looking for a more conventional blade or Muscleback, they may likely be the first I would try for the reasons you mention. They are likely very close to the quality and have the same manufacturing process as their wedges.

i think my ta2s are great. the have all the feel and forgivness of an mp60, and theyre was more durable. the look just as good too.

Actually, I have never doubted my Clevelands, until lately. The finish is starting to go away on them. My CG10 60 degree is really bad.

I would agree that the older cast Clevelands were harsh. I felt that in the TA7's that I had. The new CMM material that WBL is talking about is what won me back to Cleveland when I was looking for a new set of irons. I will admit that pured shots are not quite as sweet as Mizuno, but it is pretty close. They really tell you where on the face you hit it, but like Golf Digest said, they whisper in your ears rather than scream. If I miss hit one, I'm not paying for it for three holes.

I never took anything in this thread personally, and I really do not care what you think of my tools. I'll play what I want, and please do the same. Its fine, I didn't mean to sound defensive, just livening it up. I appreciate your comments, Limp, VT, WBL. Just one more reason to hang out here.

BTW, I think that I might ho another set of irons. Probably forged CB. You know, just to be sure!

BTW, I think that I might ho another set of irons. Probably forged CB. You know, just to be sure!

You want forged CB and don't wanna pay 500 bucks, look at TM 300 and Hogan Apex Edge or FTX. I think Hogan's are beautiful irons personally, if they are cared for.

You want forged CB and don't wanna pay 500 bucks, look at TM 300 and Hogan Apex Edge or FTX. I think Hogan's are beautiful irons personally, if they are cared for.

I was going to buy a set of Hogans myself until almost every set I saw that were used were browned in less than a year. Thanks, I don't need clubs that wear out in 9 months. Too bad, because they feel outstanding and look the look.

R35

I was going to buy a set of Hogans myself until almost every set I saw that were used were browned in less than a year. Thanks, I don't need clubs that wear out in 9 months. Too bad, because they feel outstanding and look the look.

R35

The newer ones don't wear (we're talking the same face wear that our Mizzys are FAMOUS for) as much. I've seen plenty of sets that had a few seasons on them that looked great.

Brand Perception to a deeper level

Since we started talking about Brand Perception on a higher level, lets try to get deeper by looking at Brands for each club basis. Will start a new thread on this topic.

I picked up a set of AP301's (5-11,SW) with Nippon 115 Stiff that are nice clubs but I guess I'm a pure MIZUNO Blade Guy now and will try to get back half the money that I paid for the HONMA's.

There are some great OEM's out there. Enjoying this golf addiction, we are blessed to have a full spectrum of excellent 'tools' from which to choose. This thread, IMHO, was an expression of personal perceptions. I would gladly retract my entire post, if those personal perceptions are to be taken as some statement of fact.

Perceptions are formed by many experiences. You see, I will never own another Ford product. I have developed a perception, through experience, that considers them inferior to other brands. Many of my co-workers drive Fords. Does my perception make them a poor choice of vehicle for someone else? Certainly not!

Cleveland has a long and storied history in this game. Cleveland has been an OEM to be reckoned with since the late 80's. One of the better players in our regular group is on his second set of Cleveland irons and has taken money from my pocket on more than one occasion. That does not change MY perception... and... my perception does not in the least bit lessen your excellent experiences.

CanadianGuy has had good results from his Wilson's. Wilson, too, has a long history producing a quality product. MY perception is that they have not kept up with some of the others, in recent years, but... that's my perception. I thoroughly enjoy watching Harrington play golf. Yet, when I see that Wilson Staff on his cap, my ol' mind take off. I remember the old Fluid Feel irons. I remember the Staff Goosenecks. And, I simply... in my mind... don't see the same industry leading products being turned out this past few years. MY perception!

Many, and rightfully so, form their perceptions from playing experiences. That is simply and straightforward. I applaud the ability to do that!! Many days, I wish I could revert to being able to push other qualifiers out of my perceptive mix. Yet, over the years, I have developed my perceptions of OEM's inside this industry from playing experience, history, corporate model, resale values, durability, innovation... an entire host of issues. Some would define it as paralysis through analysis.

Keep playing your great Cleveland product!!!! Believe in those irons. You have chosen to place in your bag product of one of the leading manufacturers of golf equipment in the world. I'll tee it up with you any day... gladly... because we both love and respect this game. The respect and appreciation of a fellow golfer would never be diminished by something as shallow as the brand of clubs with which YOU choose to enjoy this game.

As a wise man once told me. ... preception is reality

For a minute I thought I was on a GolfWRX forum....I play Wishons. Nuff said.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520