• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf rule question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROWDYROB

Reaction score
Hey---recently had a debatable lie while play golf,went over the green into a bunker on back of gree---i was in the sand and could not get a full back swing because of a railroad tie which lies on the back of the bunker between the bunker and cart path.My question is ,do i get a free drop in the bunker or does this ball have to be played as it lies???--thanks

You get a free drop in the bunker no closer to the hole.

Is there a local rule that covers this? Seems like if it was that close to the bunker it would have been covered by a local rule.

I am having a hard time picturing how a RR tie obstructs your swing?

Not sure about the course rules,i will ask the guys in the clubhouse 1 day but there was no way to not drop it closer to the green as i was facing the green and railroad tie was behind me on border of bunker--they were just laying down on the ground like a border so people did not run cart off path into bunker i quess??-----there are other railroad ties on a differant coarse near me that we play that border mulch beds around trees and i have given free drops to others that have got up against them but they wanted to claim that this was differant because i was in the bunker---think i got screwed,cost me the whole round is the only reason i question it now

24-2. Immovable Obstruction
a. Interference
Interference by an immovable obstruction occurs when a ball lies in or on the obstruction, or when the obstruction interferes with the player's stance or the area of his intended swing. If the player's ball lies on the putting green, interference also occurs if an immovable obstruction on the putting green intervenes on his line of putt. Otherwise, intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.
b. Relief
Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard, a player may take relief from interference by an immovable obstruction as follows:
(i)Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When the ball is dropped within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the immovable obstruction and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green.
(ii)In a Bunker: If the ball is in a bunker, the player must lift the ball and drop it either:
(a) Without penalty, in accordance with Clause (i) above, except that the nearest point of relief must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker; or
(b) Under penalty of one stroke, outside the bunker keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped

I would say lacking a local rule, it would be a free drop no closer to the home.

Reading 24-2 a i would interpret that to mean the bunker in the middle of the green qualifies as an immovable obstruction.

Reading 24-2 a i would interpret that to mean the bunker in the middle of the green qualifies as an immovable obstruction.
Therefore should be a free drop in bunker?------i had to just pull my club like halfway back and try and half swing which resulted in me blading the ball all the way across and into the other bunker

Therefore should be a free drop in bunker?------i had to just pull my club like halfway back and try and half swing which resulted in me blading the ball all the way across and into the other bunker
Yeah, according to that rule i agree, you should have free relief assuming you could stay in the bunker no closer to the hole.

Look on the bright side. I bet you had a better swing in that bunker right?

I could see if it were a tree,but i dont think a railroad tie laying on back edge of bunker should be allowed to keep me from taking a full swing in the bunker---thanks for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35