• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good Practice - Not Bad Practice

huggystyle

Brave Golfers Only
Reaction score
Okay, well I'm playing off 5, I believe I'm playing better than that at the moment, I had a strong finish to last season shooting a +1 and a level par in a couple of county opens getting some decent handicap cuts.

I'm pretty much practicing and playing full time now. I wanna get down to sub 4 asap so I can apply to do my PGA course starting in Oct 08. Now when I'm practicing I just hit balls or I'll hit chips and putts. I don't feel I'm capitalizing enough on the amount of free time nor that all the practice is making me better.

Does anyone know any good tips, drills, practice routines that actually do work on sharpening up your short game or improving your long game?.

Thanks.

As far as the short game goes repetition isnt necessarily a good thing, throw loads of balls around a green and play them all trying to hole each of them from as many different lies as possible.

Limit your range time. You can't make birdies on a range, period. Go play more, but really focus on goals and such. I do most of my practicing on the course. Some things I do are intentionally miss greens to practice getting up and down, play "worest" ball with a friend, be cocky and "call" all of your shots. It really does help with visualizing and commiting to a particular shot. I also sometimes move up a few tees to really feel the presure from going low. It doesnt matter what tee you play from, A 12 footer for eagle instills the same amount of nerves. I do however reccomend practicing putting on a practice green. If you must go to a range, try and visualize holes and play them, in other words DO NOT HIT THE SAME CLUB/SHOT TWICE.

This coming from a kid who shot 93 today:laugh:.

Im different, I LOVE repetition. I stand on ranges and practise greens all day. I believe that if I can do it without even paying attention on the range or practising, it comes second nature when im out there playing. Although amidst all the range time I put in, i still put in a bunch of practise on the course.

Generally on course, Ill play the hole tee to green, then usually break out 3-5 balls and just chuck them anywhere around and get everyone up and down. I do this also preparing for tourneys to get used to the greens and the surroundings.

Also when practising on the course, I try and hit the "wrong" or unnatural shots into the green just for practise of hitting all the different shots you could hit into different situations. I find hitting wrong shots makes hitting the right one easier in the end:laugh:.

I started out at the end of last year with good routine and I want to take it into this year. There are 2 different ranges I go to. One has a massive pratice green with undulations, thick rough after the fringe, upslopes, downslopes... it's also 3minutes from house and free. The encourage a donation to the 1st tee, I give them clubs every few weeks. I was using and plan to use that at least 2 days a week for an hour and a half to 2 hrs. per session.

The 2nd range I go to has beat down mats and a huge grass area over to the left. They don't care what you do there. I go over there and hit my pitch shots, 20-30-40 yarders then rehit the balls out to the range with irons. I'll use my own tees and pick 2 targets as a "lane" which will be the fairway. I'll hit drivers out into it then 3 and 5w's as well as 3i's off the tee, working an occasional draw or fade into it. I like to end with a flag that is dead on 100. I try to hit lower trajectory wedge shots and leave it below. I'll back up a little and knock down my PW and 9i to it as well.

I also like to play the par 3 course they have at the 1st range. Longest hole is only a smooth 8i. I expect to shoot par on that and have been even, +1, +1 the 3times I've played it. I use no tees and drop the ball on the back of the tee box. It's paying off, I've made 3 birds so far this year and all 3 were par 3's. My par 3 scoring avg. sits at even right now. This is what I want to see, cap has to drop when I start hitting more fwy's.

drink more beer and smoke alot cigarettes.....it has worked for Daly all these years...j/k

I dont know......just keep your head down. That works for me

Practice is all about what you feel you need to work on. You should always work on that 100 yard and in game.

Alittle practice i do at the range with my driver 3 wood and hybrid is pick an area out to hit into and that will play as your fairway. Pick and area like 15-20 yards wide. Try and hit your drivers consitantly into this area. Helps alot with trying to hit fairways and you can also work on shapeing shots with your driver. hitting cuts and draws into this area can help you when you play holes like dog leg lefts and rights.

With Irons i pick out target greens and start by hitting shots short of the green. try and hit atleast 10 or so short of the greens. then with the same club try and hit them long of the target green 10 or so again. then smooth your swing up and hit balls into the center of the green. this helps alot with getting your distances down and your feel for your length with each iron. You can do this drill with each of your irons.

With my wedges I always hit my wedges every other time i switch clubs. i feel as if the short game is most important. everytime i switch back to my short irons i play diffrent type of shot each time. Such as i try hit low punches, Then high punches, Normal easy swing, Flop shots, 3 quarter swing, half swing, and full swing.

I received this advice from a pro during a lesson. He told me to never begin or end a practice session with full swings. I spend more time trying to hit my 7 or 8 iron at a 100 yard flag. I do it with different shot shapes as well. Many times I put a towel under my arm just to remind me of connectivity while I do these drills. My ball striking with irons has improved since the day I started this. It even works with a driver or 3 iron, or as Ez said a PW as well. Place emphasis on where your divot was taken with each shot and a complete balanced finish and you will learn alot about yourself in a short amount of time. I've shown this drill to friends who have struggled at first to even hit a 7 iron at a flag 100 yards away with any consistancy. I ask them "if you can't do this what makes you think you will at full speed?"

I use this drill to help me improve my putting, and it has really helped!

You may have heard of it, its called the 4 corners drill.

You pick a hole on the practice green and put 3 balls on each side of the hole, they go back by 2 ft , so you get a putt from 2ft, 4ft, and 6ft. And you keep putting until you get every single ball in, and if you miss one you set it up and start all over again. It may seem a little "much" but i have used this drill and it has really improved my putting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520