• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hands ahead of the ball.

Heres my question im a bigginer golfer and i get told my hands are in front of the ball but my shots go to the right ever time no matter what club i use and i am a right handed golfer what should i do to fix this problom?

Stop pointing the clubface to the right at impact. That's really it. Figure out how to get the clubface square, and slightly descending at impact, moving on an arch from "inside" the ball and back to the inside through the ball, and apply speed/power. That's golf.

That's the hard part. But there are a hundred ways you could be failing to do it right, and I'm not going to provide all one-hundred solutions. Could even be a combination of things. Start there, and build your swing from it. Clubface square to the target, moving from inside to inside, with speed and power. Anything you're doing to compromise that, stop doing.

If it was as easy as "do this," we'd all be much better golfers.

Absolutely agree, even if this was necro'd from 4 years ago.

Without a swing video it'd be almost impossible to tell what anyone on the net is actually doing. Even with a video it is tough to see "exactly" what they are doing.

But, for amusement's sake, you can fix your own faults. As they say, "Ballflight is the best teacher."

New ball flight laws, short version if I can do it.

Ball starts right, you have an open clubface at impact.
Ball starts straight, you have a square clubface at impact.
Ball starts left, your clubface is closed at impact.

You always want your ball to curve toward the target, but not to overcurve. So either start straight/go straight, start right/curve left, or start left/curve right. If you curve past the target, you've failed, more work is needed.

Ball starts right, curves left: open clubface, face closed to the path. (Draw/hook)
Ball starts right, goes straight: open clubface, face square to the path. (Push straight/Block)
Ball starts right, goes right: open clubface, face open to the path. (Push Slice)

Etc. etc. etc.

Lastly, D-plane.

In a nutshell, D-plane says in order to hit straight shots, you need to hit down on any ball on the ground. Your negative angle of descent needs to equal out with the amount of out to in the clubface is travelling. Open stance makes this easier.

For any ball in the air on a tee, your positive angle of attack needs to equal out with your amount of swing from in to out. A slightly closed stance, or ball position in both cases, makes this easier.

To make it slightly easier, and I think I have this right, as best you can, anything lying on the ground you want to hit down on (hands ahead at impact, divot ahead of the ball) you want to play from an open stance. Anything teed up, you want to hit up on and play from a slightly closed stance. This is to produce straight shots. If you need to curve it one way or the other, you just move your stance or ball position within your stance and the D-plane takes care of the rest.

This post was mostly my own brain dump, if it helps anyone, even better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520