• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how far?

Avg. with pull hooks is about 210 with driver off the tee and 215 with a 3iron.
icon10.gif

Short game... short game.... short game is where it's at, like R35 said...

And yet you continue to buy drivers & totally ignore the wedges & putter:D:thumbs up:

My driving distance for the most part sucks & I have no problem admitting it. 220-230 is a good drive for me...but at least I manage to keep them pretty much in the fairway usually. Longest I hit was a complete freak & ended up being 270 yds, still don't know just how the hell that happened, I think maybe a squirrel helped me out a bit;)

Avg. with pull hooks is about 210 with driver off the tee and 215 with a 3iron.
icon10.gif
I dont know if you're kidding or not, but lately my 3 iron is a hellava lot more reliable, then my driver.
I'm gonna pick up a 1 iron, and if I can hit that 230 off the tee, my driver is going bye-bye.

I caught one dead on the sweet spot today, on one of the more sheltered from the high wind holes, one of the guys in my 3some said according to his range finder it flew 285 and stuck in the mud, the one high point of my whole day today. And I was mad from the previous hole and almost swung out of my shoes. But it sure was purty, :laugh:

At almost 43 years old it seems any more that the more distance I take off my driver, the better I score. Up until last year I averaged about 265 with my driver on good shots. I have consciously taken about 25 yards off that to keep the ball in play. So 240 to 250 is likely realistic for "Average, good shots".

Although if you want to get technical, I likely "average" more off the tee now because I don't have as many of the "120 yard shots that hit a tree" that people usually fail to consider into "Average", when taking the "Average on good shots"

My longest was likely about 385 yards. Where we used to live on a 503 yard par 5, with a pretty big hill in the center that is level with the tee box, the fairway runs around and actually on the side of the hill. In most cases you couldn't aim at the top of the hill because there is 2 foot grass at the top, you would aim down the side and it would hit and run sideways down the hill for maybe 280 on a good shot.

The year before we moved we had a pretty bad drought and the part right before the grass played like concrete, so if you hit it, it would go over the side of the grassy portion and down the back of the hill. There were 2 or 3 times during the drought that I had a ball come to rest down the hill in the rough over the other side about 135-140 out, since it over ran through the fairway and the dogleg for a longer shot, it was actually about 20-25 yards farther. So guessing, based on the distance, I would say it was about 385 yards. Out of a foursome, I was about tied for the second longest on all 3 occasions.

In normal conditions with no elevation changes, I have maybe had a few shots in the 300-310 range, but have even won a couple longest drives in outings with much less by simply keeping the ball in the fairway on less than ideal conditions. I have also lost out on winning long drives in outings where I could have won had I used my 5w.

I don't hit it very long - 260 or so.... but I'm the best 10 handicapper in Vermont ;)

HTF did that happen? Oops, deletion made. 285 average Rock? Can I handle that Creation?

I played the FT-3 Tour/ NVS55 yesterday, and killed it. Ballflight was half as high, and the carry was the same. Perfect, should really roll out in the summer.

Is that why it's in the classified now? ;)

I am the opposite of PA, I am the same age, almost 43, and also hit it 265. But instead of knocking off distance I spend a lot of time trying to increase it. Keeping it in play isn't an issue.

I am the opposite of PA, I am the same age, almost 43, and also hit it 265. But instead of knocking off distance I spend a lot of time trying to increase it. Keeping it in play isn't an issue.
Alot of this is in relation to our course, and more importantly the distance and the narrow fairways that are likely not more than about 20 yards wide on the average. Keeping the ball within that 20 yard width pays premiums. The course on play about 5900~SLP 142 and 5600~SLP 135

When I play other areas, everything seems wide open and I usually put alot more into my swings. In which case 265 may be a conservative estimate now that I have established a more controlled swing. Pretty much comes to swinging as hard as I can and keep the ball in play. Prior to taking the distance off my driver around here, I actually found that I rarely used my driver. Just a matter of not being good course management with the distance and playing alot of 310-340 yard par 4's and leaving myself with 50-75 yards to the pin. Now having taken that distance off, I use it alot more with a very controlled swing that is much more consistent and about 20 yards longer than what I hit my 5w at the time. Leaving me with a nice distance to the green.

Considering I play our home course about 95% of the time now, the extra distance is just not that important. Unfortunately it took me about 3 years up here to realize that all the 80 year olds keep the ball in the fairway and scored as good or better, so if I swing like what seems like an 80 year old I usually do the same but with added distance.

I further took 1" off my driver last year, to gain the same effect but also likely costing me a few yards when I didn't hit trees.

Same idea on starting to concentrate this last year on having a primary fade as opposed to my previous draw, and probably part of the distance lost. Just plays better for this course, but took me 3 years to figure out I should reconfigure my game to fit this course and not continue with the shot I thought looked prettier and played longer. The end result is actually hitting the ball pretty straight with little side spin, which I never really even considered a viable option

played yesterday,..and for some reason I was hitting my driver great, better than ever!......I bet ya I my average was 260,...just about straight every time!:D...............why?.....hell!, I dont know!.........what was I doing different?!...hell!, I dont know.....I was getting 20+ yards farther every time than normal........golf is a strange game.:prop:

I average about 285 from the men's tees. I've driven 400 yard par 4's before down wind.
R35

OK, if it was 285 avg from the mens tees, what would it have been from the back tees or the ladies tees? :D Last time I checked, driving distance was measured from point A to point B, the color of the tee marker next to where you teed it up is not part of the calculation. :laugh:

Sorry, Rock, I could not resist. :D

VT is now a 10 capper? How in the world did your handicap go up after World Woods? We need to change your name to Bagger VT. :laugh:

My driving distance? Not far enough, if it was far enough I would not need a new driver every six months. :D

Just for S&G's I went to the PGA Website and through the PODS Championship there are only 25 tour players who average 290 or greater in driving distance. This is such a hard stat to measure for the average golfer. The pros have shot link and all we really have is our untrained eyes and yard markers that may not be exact. At my home course the first hole is 333 yards from the tips. Just recently I ripped my three wood into the greenside bunker. If I had to guess my average off the tee with a three wood I'd say 235-240. If you've only been playing for seven months like the OP said then I highly doubt you hit on a 290 average. Besides, like everyone else says. It doesn't really matter how far you hit it. Can you score is the question.

Can I count the drive that landed in the back of the red Pickup on Sheridan Ave. when I was playing Willis-Case in Denver? It may still be going.:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520