• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Howdy from Texas

thr_wedge

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have been "playing" since I was around 12 (I am now 31). Played a lot through H.S., worked at a course in the pro shop and could play for free. Never had a ton of money back then so I played with some old blades and then my friend's dad hooked me up with a set of Titleist DTRs which I still have.

Played a little in college, and now only play about once a year for the last couple years. The bug has been getting stronger and I have decided to get back into playing after essentially a 6 year layoff, but really more like a 10 year layoff because I only played about 5 times a year through college.

Current equipment:
1) #2 wood, taylor made burner clone (home made). Does okay, tiny sweet spot, heavy, if I do my part it goes well.
2) A no brand made of wood 3 wood that I carry for decoration - I'm afraid it will fall apart. Northwestern brand?
3) 4-PW Titleist DTRs - the only good clubs I have
4) Random SW I found on the course in H.S.
5) Random putter, it is a model 20, that is all I know about it. No brand on it.

Also at my disposal are a set of $35 Royal blades 3-PW :p

The plan:
Take some lessons
Hit the range and short 9 hole near work on a regular basis
more lessons...
The little 9 hole course can be played without woods, so I will concentrate on the irons...

Then the equipment plan:
1) Get some real woods, 1,3,5. Cheaper is better at this point and pretty much anything would be an improvement. What are some good cheap woods?
2) Get a 3/4 hybrid
3) New putter that isn't so plastic feeling

Plan may be absolutely insane, feel free to let me know :)

Welcome to Shot talk.

Nothing wrong with your plan. You might want to look into some component woods to get back started. Maltby makes good clubs, and can be built on the cheap.

Good point on making my own. I don't know all the component brands, I will check into Maltby. I am fairly handy so making clubs shouldn't be too far outside my comfort zone. I am also cheap. Seems like a match made in Heaven.

Drop the 5 wood, add a 19* hybrid. Look at Adams XTD A3. Low cost for what you get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520